Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-08-2015, 08:37 PM   #1

27DSRL questions

Considering the 27 DSRL, I have a Ford 2014 Eco-Boost, 3.55, tow package, crew cab, 4x4.
Questions
1. Think this combo would pull good, we like to go to STEX in January about 900 miles? I use a Hensley Hitch on current Flagstaff 26DL. It will add to hitch weight which is low at internet Jayco figure of 510#
2. Think the trailer is built well enough to be comfortable in the cold nights we encounter on way down, about 35 degrees?
3. Does it have enough closet space for clothes/shoes, coats for extended stay?

Thanks for all opinions.
Okie Joe
Okie Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 06:23 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum!

1. Your truck should have no problem with this trailer. Our 27DSRL tongue weighs between 900 and 1000 lbs when fully loaded. Total trailer weight about 6800 lbs. Check the towing section of the forum for a lot of great info. Be sure to weigh in at the CAT Scale.

2. We have been totally comfortable in ours to below freezing. We use an oil filled electric heater that looks like a small radiator. It cuts way down on propane use.
Also swap out your current thermostat for a digital Coleman, a direct replacement; about $70.00 at Amazon. This makes a big difference in keeping the interior temperature much more stable. There is info about this on this and other forums. Also be sure to order the Glacial option and 15kw air. We have also put a regular home style faucet in the bathroom sink; about $50.00 at Lowes or Home Depot.

3. There is not a lot of closet space for clothes, just the wardrobes on each side of the bed. There is a lot of space under the bed thou. We have a cap on our truck so can store more clothes in plastic bins in the bed. The bath does have a great amount of storage for towels and personal items.

We love our trailer, a really good choice for a couple. The bath is large and separates the living area from the bedroom. DW can watch TV in the bedroom and I can read in peace and quiet in the living area.

Good luck with your purchase.
2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BH sold
Yamaha EF2000is Generators (2)
1996 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 07:00 PM   #3

We have had our 27 DSRL for 9 months and hopefully can answer your questions.
1. I do not have a Ford (I'm a GMC man) but it tows very well behind my Sierra 1500 w/towing Pkg on our various Trips. Handles well and no sway, but I use a Blue Ox Pro. Went to Florida and back in January, over 2200 miles without issue. Never felt underpowered or over trailered. I'll probably get he** for saying this but I think in many ways the 2 Trucks are very similar. So I do not see an issue with your Ford pulling it.
2. On the trip south it was 26 degrees in SC in the Morning. We were nice and Toasty. We do have the Glacier package. I do recommend changing to the Digital Thermostat.
3. Yes, between the 2 Closets, the under bed storage, cabinets above the bed, and the storage in the Bathroom behind the Toilet you should be OK.
RSerendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 07:25 PM   #4

Thanks so much for replys. It confirms what I have been thinking.
Eco-Boost
2008 Flagstaff 26 DS Now
Wanting a 27DSRL
Old 03-09-2015, 09:11 PM   #5

We've had our 2015 27DSRL for about a year. Great size for 2 people. You'll have to look at the storage space in one to decide for yourself if there is enough. Not much space to hang clothes but as mentioned above there are a lot of other spaces, especially under the bed, for much more storage. I originally towed with a Chevy 1500, 5.3, 3.42 and it handled the trailer just fine but I felt underpowered. Made a trip to Florida last summer and was extremely annoyed with the transmission hunting on the slightest of hills and at times maintaining at least 50mph. Nothing overheated - I just didn't like the transmission hunting which may not bother most everyone else. I upgraded to a 3500 Duramax in preparation to pull this camper across the western part of the US and in anticipation of upgrading to a larger 5er in a couple of years.
KYCAMPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 08:57 PM   #6

Thanks KYCamper, hope we hear more comments and appreciate all.
Eco-Boost
2008 Flagstaff 26 DS Now
Wanting a 27DSRL