Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-29-2020, 02:33 PM   #1

284bhok

Hello. I’m looking to be a new Jayco owner after having a terrible experience with a 2020 Winnebago Minnie plus and dealer. Long story short, after driving from MN to KS to pick it up, and on our first weekend out, we discovered pre-existing water damage along with a ton of other shortcoming from the dealer.

Winnebago picked up the trailer from my driveway and the whole deal was canceled.

I’m looking at ordering the 284BHOK as it looks like a great family trailer. I have a 4 and 7 year old. We went and looked at the Jayco’s and really really like the Eagle HT line and they look and feel on another level than the Winnebago. Not even in the same ballpark in my opinion.

I have a 1500lb Blue Ox Sway Pro I purchased with my last trailer and towing with a 2015 F350 crew cab short box.

I’m going to be ordering it to coincide with a May 2021 delivery. I live in MN and don’t want it to get a salt bath delivery this winter.

Just looking for peoples experience with the 2021’s. I’ve read a few negatives, but the Jayco seem to be a solid trailer.

I’m going to order it with about all options I can including the 2nd A/C and frameless windows.
jsc1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 11:53 AM   #2

Welcome to the site from SW Michigan! On our TT, a second A/C would be nice. The frameless windows are awesome. Sorry you had a bad experience with Minnie and the dealer. I've been pretty impressed with Jayco. But, this is only my second Jayco product and have been quite satisfied. Good luck with everything! Happy Trails!

2018 Jayco White Hawk 31BH 34'
2004 Surveyor by Forest River 29'
1996 Coachman Catalina 25'
2002 Jayco 12UTD PopUp
TrashMan Videos
sturgissteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 12:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgissteele View Post
Welcome to the site from SW Michigan! On our TT, a second A/C would be nice. The frameless windows are awesome. Sorry you had a bad experience with Minnie and the dealer. I've been pretty impressed with Jayco. But, this is only my second Jayco product and have been quite satisfied. Good luck with everything! Happy Trails!
Awesome, thanks for the info! I placed my order yesterday and loaded it up. 2nd ac, led fireplace, 12v reefer, tpms, rear and side cameras, dual pane frameless windows, auto leveling, theater seating, king bed, and 16” wheels/tires.

Really looking forward to this trailer. I won’t get it until April/May next year but that’s what I wanted. Don’t have to deal with storage this season.
Old 09-04-2020, 09:24 AM   #4

I like the 2020 color better than the 2021 white color scheme. All the white will discolor and turn an ugly yellow in time. Take a look at older white colored trailers and tell me im wrong...
Bruceanast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 09:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceanast View Post
I like the 2020 color better than the 2021 white color scheme. All the white will discolor and turn an ugly yellow in time. Take a look at older white colored trailers and tell me im wrong...
I like both colors. As far as the yellowing, yea, maybe so. Taking care of it and keeping it waxed should help I would imagine. At any rate, I doubt I will have it more than 5 years so I will probably never know.
Old 09-04-2020, 09:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1979 View Post
Awesome, thanks for the info! I placed my order yesterday and loaded it up. 2nd ac, led fireplace, 12v reefer, tpms, rear and side cameras, dual pane frameless windows, auto leveling, theater seating, king bed, and 16” wheels/tires.

Really looking forward to this trailer. I won’t get it until April/May next year but that’s what I wanted. Don’t have to deal with storage this season.
Congrats! That'll be an awesome trailer!
sturgissteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 09:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1979 View Post
I like both colors. As far as the yellowing, yea, maybe so. Taking care of it and keeping it waxed should help I would imagine. At any rate, I doubt I will have it more than 5 years so I will probably never know.
Your going to love the trailer. We had quite a few issues upon delivery of ours... dents, scratches, roof dimples, stereo wiring, unable to close door from inside coach, trim molding separating from side of coach, lack of hot water pressure. Don't be in a hurry during the pre delivery inspection. Schedule the whole day, not just the hour or two... Test every system, door, switch, drawer. Look at everything. Get on the roof. If I had to do it again, I would schedule two days. Day one, orientation, day two inspection.
Old 09-04-2020, 09:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceanast View Post
Your going to love the trailer. We had quite a few issues upon delivery of ours... dents, scratches, roof dimples, stereo wiring, unable to close door from inside coach, trim molding separating from side of coach, lack of hot water pressure. Don't be in a hurry during the pre delivery inspection. Schedule the whole day, not just the hour or two... Test every system, door, switch, drawer. Look at everything. Get on the roof. If I had to do it again, I would schedule two days. Day one, orientation, day two inspection.
Thanks for the pointers. I will make sure to block off plenty of time to go through it.

I’m not an expert with these things, but a lot of your issues should have been caught by the dealer prior to you picking it up shouldn’t have they? I guess all dealers are different at how much they care from what I’ve read.

I learned some from my first purchase that Winnebago ultimately picked up from my house.
Old 09-04-2020, 10:11 AM   #9

I would think so. Hopefully, yours will be better off. I'm thinking mine was delivered on a Friday, lol. The dealer has been so-so. They said they fixed the water pressure issue, and they didn't. They adjusted the door not closing correctly, they didn't. They haven't denied any of the claims, but waiting on parts for over 6 weeks now. They are polite and listen, but the repairs are not good. I am optimistic that everything will turn out good in the end. Good luck with your trailer. We are happy with ours considering the issues...
Old 09-04-2020, 10:43 AM   #10

Might be worth giving this a read prior to going to the dealer. https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ted-36094.html

I find this video of a walkthrough covers a lot and gives you an idea of what to expect

Sounds like you ordered a really great trailer. Once you go with two doors, it'll be hard to go back. We have two doors on our 23MBH and we love it!
distracto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 12:07 PM   #11

Great video and read!
Old 09-07-2020, 08:47 AM   #12
Wsw

We have owned many different travel trailers and motor homes since the early 80s. With both, your only real goal is to buy yourself the best of the worst thing possible you are ever going to put money into. We bought our eagle 334rlok a couple months ago. I guess a walk through is good if you live close. Not so much if the dealer is hours away.

I focused our walk through on any major issues. Ours had none that we found. That was the good part along with the 2021 model coming in black and white instead of that yellow color. That was a real plus. We have had several white fiberglass coaches over the year and never had an issue with them yellowing. They get a little chalky but a good wash and wax took care of that. It also looks good behind our blacked out ram 2500. The 2021 also came with a lot of standard items which were options on the 2020.

After camping in it a couple times we have not found anything major on the coach. I had to work on front door latch but I put a wireless lock on anyway so that fixed that. The fresh water tank drain valve leaks so took the cheap one off and put a metal one on.

The only thing I cannot find is the sat cable for the main tv in living room. That orange cable is nowhere to be found. The hard wire for the furrion in br wall is also playing hide and seek. No big deal. I plan on putting a dish on the roof and just dropping cable straight down into cabinets over the couch.

Oh back to walk through. If I had found anything we would have had to come back probably weeks later for the coach. You are assuming dealer will fix right away. Probably not happening. In addition right now if you do not take coach they probably will sell it quick to someone else and still keep your deposit. Yes if we had found something major we would have made them fix it, otherwise I figure I will do a better and more careful job anyway. My focus was to make sure there was nothing broke which kept us out of the campground, such as slides, ac, stoves, propane, electric, lights, water delivery, water pump and heater, awnings, etc. Those type things. I also found I knew more than the guy doing the walk through. He did not even know propane gauges switch tanks automatically. He also did not know how the new jaycommand bmpro works. You are much better off relying on yourself.

Good luck.
Wsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 09:28 AM   #13

So as far as a hitch, right now I have a 1500lb Blue Ox sway pro with 1,500lb spring bars.

Would there be any benefit to going with an Equalizer for the 284BHOK? GVWR is 10k, dry hitch is 1,080 but after all said and done likely/should be in the 1200-1500 range.

The dealership does not sell blue ox but does sell the equalizer. If the equalizer is a better hitch I’d be inclined to get rid of the blue ox.

TV is a 2015 F350 crew cab short box. 6.2 gasser

If I do this, what size of equalizer would I want? The 1400 version?
Old 09-08-2020, 04:59 PM   #14

If I bought the 284BHOK (which I may end up doing) I would get the Equalizer 14K.
Old 09-08-2020, 05:14 PM   #15
Site Team

We have an Equalizer hitch, and like it very much, but I've also heard good things about the Blue Ox Sway Pro. Is there any reason you want to change hitches, since you already have one that's heavy enough for the TT?

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 06:27 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
We have an Equalizer hitch, and like it very much, but I've also heard good things about the Blue Ox Sway Pro. Is there any reason you want to change hitches, since you already have one that's heavy enough for the TT?
On my way home with my first trailer(similar size) it seemed like any vehicle regardless of size would really push me around when passing me. I’m talking even small SUV’s. Semis would straight up scare you if one snuck up on you. Now keep in mind this was on the interstate and I was doing 60 and everyone else flying by at 75-80 I would imagine.

Now this could be a couple things I think, or maybe that’s just normal? The trailer was empty and tongue weight wasn’t right, and/or the place never had it set up correctly. I’m new to all of this but it just didn’t seem quite right from what I read. I’ve seen videos of trailers swaying and the trailer seemed pretty solid until someone passed me.
Old 02-07-2021, 12:25 PM   #17

Just following up in this thread to see how others are doing with their 2020 and 2021 284BHOK’s?

We’ve had our 2020 a year now and generally like it very much. We got it pretty fully loaded with auto leveling, frameless dual pane windows, 16” tires, king mattress, etc.

A few issues we will be getting fixed this month are:

1. Front cross member on frame bent and pulled towards tongue. This apparently is a known issue.

2. Unit still draws power even though battery disconnect is turned off.

3. Shower has hardly any hot water pressure. Going to have dealer replace check valve with new brass unit.

4. The skirt on the slide side seems like it’s not reinforced well at all so I’m hoping the dealer can strengthen that up a bit.

I have to say that I don’t know how anyone can comfortably tow this with a half-ton for long distance trips. Being from Phx, I realize everywhere we go north is virtually a 6k foot climb in elevation and if you go to Colorado or Utah the roads north of Flagstaff will beat you to death but even with a heavy 1 ton truck we ended up getting the ProPride hitch.

How are you all doing with yours?

Karl

Bourbonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 12:33 PM   #18

I need to call my dealer in a week or 2 to see when mine will be done. I’m hoping for a end of April/beginning of May delivery.

Hopefully I can afford to fill my truck with gas to pull it around this summer. Lol
Old 02-07-2021, 12:38 PM   #19

Amen to that!

Bourbonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 08:19 PM   #20

I have a 284BHOK and started off with an Equalizer hitch from my previous rig which I love. BUT I had a lot of issues with sway. After working with the dealer who installed it, tweaking it myself, and several white knuckle drivers we made the plunge and got the ProPride hitch. Expensive but works very well.
Jetsam is offline   Reply With Quote