Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-08-2015, 07:27 PM   #1

28BHBE - Back in Turning

I have question on turning radius while backing in to all those with long TT's, 33' and up.

We are going from a 21' 2 axle Hybrid (X19H) to possibly the 34' 2 axle 28BHBE depending on my ability to park it at the house. Did some measurements Saturday just before heading back to the dealer and said a big "uh oh" so did not pull the trigger yet and actually looked at a shorter 28' Whitehawk with Double Bunks in back and Murphy Bed in front (24MBH). We really want the BHBE to work and only thing holding me back is being able to park it at the house where I have 30 AMP, Water and Sewer Drain hookup for it. I do not want to pay storage and want our trailer to be at the house. I live on a dead end street so cannot turn around at the end with the BHBE and have no way out once in other than backing into my spot to turn around or backing down the street.

I am working on figuring out whether I can back it into my storage spot on the side of the house and whether I would be able to get the trailer straight enough before running out of room to go back. I know I will have to do some "inch turns" I will call it to get the trailer straight to back into my fenced in area. My Gates are 10' 6" wide with a total of 12' 6" from house to the fence once inside. I am not to worried about the width just the length and the swing to get it in because of the distance from the street to where my fence gate is. The distance from the street to the fence is 50 Ft and 72 Ft from the opposite side of the street where I would swing the nose of my truck. I have plenty of room to back it up further once inside the fence opening, assuming I can get it straight to back it in there, to pull in and out to straighten it up.

Length of my overall rig would be roughly 55 Ft with Spare Tire and Hitch length (truck is 20 Ft long). I remove my WDH before backing it in and use a regular Reese drawbar. Driveway is on one side of the back in path and my neighbors yard is on the other but I can cut through there a little if needed, which is the way I will be coming in.

In this link for my For Sale add…

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f1...rid-26674.html

…you can kinda see where I would be backing in, 2nd photo you can see the storage area with rock, the gates are open. It is 50 ft from the gate location to the street.

Question is…

Do the longer trailers were the axles are farther back from the hitch point turn less aggressively and "swing slower" (my made up phrase) then the shorter trailers where the axles are close to the hitch point?

Do the longer ones "swing slower" to allow me some more time to straighten the trailer without wasted backing in distance?

I know with my shorter camper or my little boat trailers you have to be careful not to get it swung around to much or it will go crooked fast. My 25' boat trailer seems to "swing slower" so was wondering how the longer campers reacted.

Thanks for the help!
MIFL19H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 07:41 PM   #2
Site Team

I thing the longer the trailer the slower they turn.

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
WVDusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 07:48 PM   #3

Yes, longer trailers swing slower. I think it actually makes them easier to back up. On short trailers I find small adjustments make drastic moves in the trailer, not at all the same with longer trailers. My 29QBH is 33'
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 08:21 PM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Also how closer the ball is to you TV axle how easier it is to correct. Also how slower you backup how easier it is to correct.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 09:05 PM   #5

We have a Octane 29 and a GMC 3500 Crewcab. Overall length is 54' 11". We also live on a dead end street. It is 75' 6" from the far edge of the road to the 10" wide gate I go through into the side yard. I can make it with a couple of corrective /short turns fairly easily . I have found it is actually much easier to back the 250' from the intersection to the yard. Much easier to turn the trailer around there than maneuvering it in front of the house, plus I can always use the practice backing up. that puts me in the same position as backing into a typical campsite.
LabMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 09:12 PM   #6

I have a 34 foot trailer hooked to an f250. I back into my driveway just by pulling into the opposite lane of the street. So, I drive down the road with my house on the right. I pull just past my driveway with the truck and then swing into the other lane (truck nose turning left). I stop with the trailer tail just past the driveway. I can then back right into the driveway which is positioned 90 degrees to the road.

I didn't digest all of your dimensions. But, I hope my scenario offers you some help. I use about 25 feet of road width and about 50 feet in distance past my driveway.
Bucko06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 11:04 AM   #7

Thanks for all the good info... Beginning to think I can do it which would be nice.
Old 11-09-2015, 12:55 PM   #8

Yes, the longer the trailer, the less 'squirrely' backing becomes.

But, that has to be weighed against being generally more cumbersome to handle.

This year I went 5' longer (and taller and heavier). Backing is smoother and much less 'frantic'. Towing requires leaving much more room for all maneuvers and a WDH.

Regrets for upgrading: none.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 01:29 PM   #9

I tow the 28BHBE, and based on your description, I think I could put it in there. Of course, it might be a different story in person. Which direction are you coming at it? From the pictures in the other post, are you coming from the direction where the pic is taken from? Or the other way. Reason I ask is if you have enough straight away to either direction of your parking spot on your approach, you can pull down a little ways and give yourself a little more maneuvering room. Drive past your target a bit further than you normally would, and give the trailer plenty of distance to curve into the space more gently with smaller inputs from the TV. Of course, that may involve cutting a corner more than you'd like, but it looks like that corner could be your driveway depending on the direction of your approach.

It's true, the longer ones do respond a bit slower, but that's not a bad thing. As already mentioned, it's a lot less frantic, which I read as a lot less spinning of that steering wheel.

Two weekends ago, I had to maneuver my BHBE in and around some pretty tight quarters at the tire shop. I used the tried and true GOAL (Get Out And Look) and took it nice and slow and it was all fine. I even did most of that day without a spotter. Don't get in a rush, watch your corners, have a good spotter, and practice.

In the 2 years I've had my trailer, there's only been one spot I had trouble getting into. It was like the perfect storm. The space was on a very narrow CG road, there were obstacles on the near and far side, and the spot didn't have a strong enough angle on the CG road. I still got in, but I had to go out the back of the site to get the trailer straight. And DW didn't appreciate me bumping the fence across the way from our site with the truck, but there was no damage (no blood, no foul). I still get to hear about that day every now and again, only now it's "remember that time you knocked that fence down?!"

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 02:30 PM   #10

I think you can do it. I could put mine in it...

Oh and btw...

Thought you were MILF19H at first glance!
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 05:10 PM   #11

If you wernt 1500 miles away i would offer you our trailer to do a little shakedown test run.

Best of luck with your choice!

olyelr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 06:34 PM   #12

Camper_bob…

I would be backing in from the yard side not the driveway side, I drive past my driveway then back in with the truck swinging right.

olyeir…

Thanks for the offer. I tried to figure out if I knew anyone close with a trailer that big but we don't.

It's not so much making the 90 Deg cut into the yard other than being able to do it without swinging up into the neighbors yard across the street with my truck because of the length of the rig, I was most worried about running out of distance and getting to the fence before I got the trailer straight enough to get it inside the fence because of the length of the rig.

I am glad to hear my theory of the trailer turning slower is the case, that is what I was hoping for as it should allow me to keep it straighter when backing it in. I was hoping I could control it easier and not jackknife it to much before being able to swing the truck straight, if it jackknifed too much it would then require some forward and back motions to get it straight, which I had to do once in a while with my X19H if I blew my entry into the spot.

I believe I can do it, thanks for all the help. Now I have to decide do I go with Aluminum or Fiberglass sides

I did receive some info from Jayco about how the FG walls are manufactured and are bonded to the wood studs.

TWP723… LOL… I never noticed that. Good thing I did not type it in wrong when I registered. I've never been one for fancy "handles" for forums so when I was figuring out what to use I had seen someone use the initials of the city and state they lived in then the model of their camper so that is where it came from. Merritt Island Florida 19H (camper at the time) so MIFL19H.
Old 11-09-2015, 07:00 PM   #13

So, I have two ideas for you.

1. Ask the dealer to jump through a hoop for you and see if you can bring the trailer home for the test. If it fits, you buy. You could also spend around $100 for a day to rent a similar size trailer and test with that.

2. I just sold my Power Mover AC8 that I moved my boat with. I highly recommend something similar if your trying to move into a tight spot. I think they got bought by someone recently, but you should easily be able to find something similar. My advice is to get as many wheels on the power mover that you can afford. Go big or go home is the key to a Power Mover.

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 08:18 PM   #14

I have a 2015 28BHBE and I have installed a receiver on the front of my truck for when I have to back the TT into a tight area.
bushflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 08:22 PM   #15

I agree with nunyadamy and ask the dealer if you can take the TT home for a test. Before I pulled the trigger on my TT the dealer let me take the TT on a road test drive and I put 125 miles test towing the TT.
bushflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 08:37 PM   #16

We made the same jump at the end of summer, and had the same fear of fitting the bigger rig into tight spaces. Actually apologized to all my CG neighbors upon arrival for closing down the road while backing in, nailed it on the first try. Same with at the storage lot, despite having to hook around the nose of my "neighbor" sticking about 5' too far into the 20' wide driveway. We have a 28DSBH, the White Hawk version of your floor plan. I'd go for it, and fix the fence later - the camper came with too many smiles to pass up.
Munro519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 10:13 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunyadamn View Post
So, I have two ideas for you.

2. I just sold my Power Mover AC8 that I moved my boat with. I highly recommend something similar if your trying to move into a tight spot. I think they got bought by someone recently, but you should easily be able to find something similar. My advice is to get as many wheels on the power mover that you can afford. Go big or go home is the key to a Power Mover.
I was going to suggest a power mover as well. Something like This: https://parkit360.ca/shop/p360HD-10000lbs

Former pilot to the rich and famous. Current domestic engineer, head chef, head laundry officer, head dog walker, and pilot volunteer. Lover of tacos and soccer
beechjetpilot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 08:02 AM   #18
Lost in the Woods

I wish I had pictures of some of the spots we have backed our 28 BHBE into at unserviced state Parks as some of them have been very tight. It's not the back end of the trailer so much as getting sufficient turning radius with the front of our Supercrew tow vehicle. There must be some sort of mathematical equation as to how much horizontal distance you need to get the trailer at 90 degrees to back in. One other suggestion is to research the Hensley/Propride hitches as they have a few additional degrees of turning radius before they jackknife which might make the difference for you. Enjoy the BHBE with the family, it is the best floorplan under 30 feet for families. Happy camping.
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 03:22 PM   #19

[QUOTE=TWP723;354221]I think you can do it. I could put mine in it...
/QUOTE]

If you can you do it, I can do it. LOL
PNWDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 04:56 PM   #20

[QUOTE=PNWDriver;354697]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
I think you can do it. I could put mine in it...
/QUOTE]

If you can you do it, I can do it. LOL
I'm not going to say that if I can do it, anyone can, but I will say that if I can do it, it can't be THAT hard.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote