Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-01-2016, 10:45 PM   #1

28BHBE Bedside "Tables"

Has anyone figured out any innovative idea how to use the inside of the bedside tables in the 28BHBE? They are about 9" wide and 24" long and are basically just a counter top with no access to the inside. Seems like there should have been some drawers or something in them.
Jace817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 12:01 AM   #2

I also had the same thought, small drawers would be ideal for bedside items. The whole bedside area is not efficiently setup. We added some shelving on the right side. The left side is hard to get to so we didn't even bother. My in-laws also added a shelf in their JayFlight across the bed right above where you place your head.
2014 Feather Ultra Lite X23B (sold)
IceOnFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 02:07 AM   #3

Don't see why you couldn't add a deep drawer there. Really not hard to do. I have thought about it, but just didn't need it enough right now to put it very high on the list of stuff. Just don't have that much bedside stuff. Laptop, clock, phone, glasses and coaster is all that sits there really. Figure it might become like some other drawers. A catch all.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 06:44 AM   #4

Seems to me that drawers in those side tables would interfere with the pass through storage area. In our trailer, we've got nothing to hide. Bedside items just sit on top of the table for quick access
Old 03-02-2016, 07:17 AM   #5

Wouldn't really interfere at all. Pretty useless space there when you look in the pass through and look up where the drawer could go. You could easily put a drawer with probably say 5" sides or so and never get in the way of the pass through. At least on ours it wouldn't be an issue.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 07:42 AM   #6

I just took a look at the pass-thru storage on my 26BH, and saw that it would cause problems for me. Even though there's 4 or 5 inches of seemingly wasted space above the top of the pass-thru door, I use that extra height when storing taller items. I could not carry my air compressor if a drawer of any depth was installed. Although a drawer there would be a nice touch.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 08:19 AM   #7

I was thinking about dismounting the top of that "table" (IIRC it's only held on with some "L" brackets) and putting hinges on it with a small storage box underneath. Good place to hide certain items I wish to remain unseen. I don't store tall items in that pass-thru below, so no interference there. But like John, it just hasn't become important enough to mess with yet; it's pretty far down a quite lengthy list of mods for me.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 09:14 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
I was thinking about dismounting the top of that "table" (IIRC it's only held on with some "L" brackets) and putting hinges on it with a small storage box underneath. Good place to hide certain items I wish to remain unseen. I don't store tall items in that pass-thru below, so no interference there. But like John, it just hasn't become important enough to mess with yet; it's pretty far down a quite lengthy list of mods for me.
Wow, that's a great idea. A short tray a couple inches deep wouldn't get in the way for me. Maybe the table top could have an unseen, under-lip latch of some kind to hold it into place. Could be a great Glock hideout!
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 09:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerBill View Post
Wow, that's a great idea. A short tray a couple inches deep wouldn't get in the way for me. Maybe the table top could have an unseen, under-lip latch of some kind to hold it into place. Could be a great Glock hideout!

"items to remain unseen" could be just about anything.

A hidden latch would make it work even better.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 03-02-2016, 10:58 AM   #10

Quote:
This a great idea, I'll have to look into that on my TT too. I certainly have things I would like to store a bit more discretely.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 12:30 PM   #11

Quote:
I have pretty much the same arrangement in our new Feather 23RLSW - it practically cries out for a drawer, or some such. I like your idea of storage for items best left "unseen", too.

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 04:07 PM   #12

I mean, really, who would think to lift up on a table top to see what was underneath. The only giveaway would be if they yanked up on the bed really hard and somehow flipped it open. But then that's where the hidden latch comes into play.

And it's not just individuals with nefarious intent, I have a child. I need SOMEWHERE to hide his pacifier!!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV