Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-04-2017, 12:41 PM   #1

28BHBE slide out trim rub on siding

We bought a new Jayflight 28BHBE in May. We've taken 5 short trips with it all trips have been less than 150 miles away and all highway driving. When we got home last night and I put out the slide, I noticed a section of the front metal trim on the slide has been rubbing on the siding. The lip was bent a little and has rubbed through the aluminum siding a couple inches long.

We have not hit anything to bend the trim and there are no marks looking like it was hit. This obviously has been like this since we bought it and I feel sick that I didn't notice it before now. Since it has rubbed through, water will be able to get in. The siding damage is limited to two panels but I don't even know if it's possible to change out a panel or not. I plan on seeing my dealer tomorrow but wanted to ask the community: How screwed am I?
baumer64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 12:52 PM   #2

It should be covered under warranty. On my 2013 28BHBE, the slide was misaligned and it gouged the vinyl floor. They replaced the entire vinyl floor under warranty.
Old 09-06-2017, 02:07 PM   #3

We just went through the same thing on our 23mbh. They replaced the trim, the affected siding and realigned the slide under warranty and you can't tell a repair has been done. They did a good job.

Former pilot to the rich and famous. Current domestic engineer, head chef, head laundry officer, head dog walker, and pilot volunteer. Lover of tacos and soccer
beechjetpilot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 02:38 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm hoping this will be fixed under warranty. The possible problem will be that the reason for the rub is the trim is bent a little. It's not something we did and isn't obvious unless you see where it rubbed. My small RV dealer got this trailer from a larger one outside of Seattle 250+ miles away. Unfortunately, any work on it they will have to take it back to that dealership but that's what I want as I want it done right. I won't settle for just silicone shot into the holes in the siding.
baumer64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 04:34 PM   #5

Talking about the 28BHBE specifically here:
I noticed when my slide is in all the way the floor of the slide slightly canters upwards. Outside when I look at the trim, it appears about 1/4 inch away from the aluminum sidewalls/trim of the trailer and the rubber seal is compressed. But when it is out all the way, It seems the entire slide is very slightly tilted downwards when I sit at the table. I noticed it because my glass of water is not perfectly level. I wonder if this is supposed to be this way to have the rain and water run away from the rubber seals at the top.

Thoughts? Others notice this?

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 10:48 AM   #6

I have the same issue with my 2015 26BHS. I now have two gashes in my siding that I just discovered this last weekend. It just happened and I am 8 months past warranty. I have e-mailed Jayco and am waiting for a reply. If you own a Jay Flight with a slide, you may want to make sure that the top of the slide is not against your metal siding or it will rub a gash in it over time...

ddrueckh is offline   Reply With Quote