Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 07:59 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
In the mean time, if you could suggest any alternative to 28DSBH, I would appreciate this. Again, I am going to use the maximum of the towing capacity of the vehicle. I will not go with any pop-up, etc.

Thank you!
The JayFeather X213 is one that you may want to look at. It has bunks and a hard slide for the king bed (no tent ends).

2015 Jay Feather Ultra Lite X213 | Jayco, Inc.

WEIGHTS
Unloaded Vehicle Weight (lbs) View Definition 4,005
Dry Hitch Weight (lbs) View Definition 390
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (lbs) View Definition 5,500
Cargo Carrying Capacity (lbs) View Definition 1,495

But even that 4005lbs can start to push your weight limit once you add people & stuff.

For example, my 2014 28DSBH is listed at 5500lbs unloaded. However, on the yellow sticker with the actuals (as equipped - propane, battery, etc.), it weighs in at 6000lbs.

2014 White Hawk 28DSBH
2012 F150 EcoBoost MaxTow (2022 F150 PowerBoost on order)
Reese 1200 WDH / Dual Cam Sway Control
Old 06-30-2015, 08:06 AM   #22

If you dont want a hybrid at least look at the 23MBH or the other murphy bed options. They might be your best bet. I just bought the Whitehawk 28dsbh and tow with a RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi with a max towing of almost 8000 pounds. After minimal driving I am now in the market for a 3/4 ton truck. Can my 1500 tow it, yes. Do I feel comfortable with my 4 kids in the truck loaded.....not really.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:39 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattie View Post
BTW, although when we bought our current TT, our TV was adequate (GMC 1500) but with plans to traverse the Rockies, we upgraded it and are amazed as the improved towing experience ... well worth it! We especially like the exhaust-braking with the diesel ~ it performed perfectly as we navigated the Grapevine (I-5 north of LA).
Ours are extremely quiet, but to explain: "In most cases, an exhaust brake is so effective that it can slow a heavily loaded vehicle on a downgrade without ever applying the vehicle’s service brakes" (Wikipedia).

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Old 06-30-2015, 08:49 AM   #24

Someone suggested the X213. I own a 2015 and wouldn't recommend it for that vehicle. The yellow sticker weight of ours is 4376 pounds. We're at 5000 loaded, without water (and we haven't added our bikes yet) and our tongue is around 700 pounds. The tongue is way heavier on that trailer than Jayco implies.

It also tows a lot better with a WDH which isn't recommended for the X5.

We bought this trailer hoping we could tow it with a mid-size SUV. After the 5 hour trip home with it, we sold our SUV and bought a truck.
Old 06-30-2015, 09:12 AM   #25

Quote:
Thank you! I appreciate your opinion. Unfortunately, I do not believe that an average heavy truck is better TV than X5. Every single heavy truck available on the market will take longer to stop than BMW X5. Adding the trailer does not change this fact.

BMW X5 has lower center of gravity, more precise steering, increased roll stability and stiffer chassis than many trucks given as examples of great TV. It is far less likely to be in that ditch upside down than a heavy duty pickup, which many consider a very suitable TV.

I will research a little bit more about the risks related to increased tongue weight.

In the mean time, if you could suggest any alternative to 28DSBH, I would appreciate this. Again, I am going to use the maximum of the towing capacity of the vehicle. I will not go with any pop-up, etc.

Thank you!
OK.

I wish you and your family the best of luck.

TV = 2006 F-350 CC DRW 6.0
TT = 2018 Wildwood 31KQBTS
TT = 2007 Jayco Jay Flight 27bh - SOLD
Old 06-30-2015, 01:34 PM   #26
bap

Quote:
Thank you! I appreciate your opinion. Unfortunately, I do not believe that an average heavy truck is better TV than X5. Every single heavy truck available on the market will take longer to stop than BMW X5. Adding the trailer does not change this fact.

BMW X5 has lower center of gravity, more precise steering, increased roll stability and stiffer chassis than many trucks given as examples of great TV. It is far less likely to be in that ditch upside down than a heavy duty pickup, which many consider a very suitable TV.

I will research a little bit more about the risks related to increased tongue weight.

Thank you!
Think what you want about your Beamer, but it is luxury SUV not a work truck. It is built for a cushy ride not to safely handle heavy loads. Like others have said, glad you are on West Coast and I am on East Coast. I have seen too many people like you bottom side up in the median on the Interstate because they were stupid and had no clue at all what they were doing.
Old 06-30-2015, 01:53 PM   #27

Thank you very much for your input! I appreciate this. It appears that this is a typical conclusion of the discussion when something other than a "proper" truck is suggested as TV for a mid to large size of the TT.

It is not my opinion, this is opinion of many users which you can find over internet. BMW X5 is better TV than many vehicles suggested as "proper" trucks (will not mention any models, not initiate even more spirited discussion) or other non-German SUVs (actually, BMW calls X5 SAV).

I am not sure whether I will go with 28DSBH (probably I will), but an option to buy a 4,000 lbs trailer is just not for me. My concern at this stage is the tongue weight and I will research this topic further to decide whether this is something what would change my mind.

Again, many thanks for your responses.
Old 06-30-2015, 02:00 PM   #28

28DSBH - floor plan, TV

Well even in Europe BMW only allows a 600# tongue weight. So go over if you wish. Prematurely wear or damage your suspension which isn't designed for a heavier tongue weight, and risk your handling and braking.

Even in Europe they go with lighter tongues, so I highly doubt anyone there is going to be towing 900-1000# tongue.

Have you even checked the payload sticker of your vehicle like I suggested? Even if you decide to go over tongue weight, it's very likely you're over payload which means you can't carry anything else in the vehicle. Maybe not even a driver.

But I'm sure BMW just puts these numbers there for fun.

Also remember that the opinions you are reading on the X5 are from those who are already breaking the limits. They WANT it to work and can often convince themselves it's great. I have been there as well. Telling everyone how great my SUV was for towing a trailer close/over the limits. And now that I have a TV that is more capable, I laugh at how delusional I was.
Old 06-30-2015, 02:27 PM   #29

Quote:
Thank you very much for your input! I appreciate this. It appears that this is a typical conclusion of the discussion when something other than a "proper" truck is suggested as TV for a mid to large size of the TT.

It is not my opinion, this is opinion of many users which you can find over internet. BMW X5 is better TV than many vehicles suggested as "proper" trucks (will not mention any models, not initiate even more spirited discussion) or other non-German SUVs (actually, BMW calls X5 SAV).

I am not sure whether I will go with 28DSBH (probably I will), but an option to buy a 4,000 lbs trailer is just not for me. My concern at this stage is the tongue weight and I will research this topic further to decide whether this is something what would change my mind.

Again, many thanks for your responses.

I think you should buy a TT like mine! JK
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
Old 06-30-2015, 02:53 PM   #30

You have proven the old saying That you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

It appears that every reply you have received has told you that you are over your weight limits for your BMW

Yet you have decided that everyone is putting down your BMW

Many have suggested that you looking into a TT with less tongue weight. Or have suggested a different TV But the suggestion for you to get a different TV is due to your instance of using your BMW beyond it rated Tongue weight.

You came onto the forum with the hopes that someone on here would agree with your decision and you are disappointed that everyone has suggested that you DON"T DO WHAT YOU WANT TO DO. So now you think everyone is against BMW's

I personally have nothing against BMW's maybe the people that drive them but not BMW's

No matter what you decide to do and my opinion is that you had decided that long before you made a post on the forum. I am just glad you won't be driving in my area and I feel sorry for your family as you have decided that you don't care about yours and their safety.

You are pushing and exceeding the weight limits of the combination you are considering Especially with as you say you have no experience with TT's

But that is typical of BMW owners they live (or die) to push the limits.

Again Just my opinion and it doesn't matter as you have decided that all the advice you have been given so far doesn't matter to you

Forget doing any more research as YOUR MIND IS ALREADY MADE UP and if people with many years and miles of experience can't sink it into your head than nothing will
Old 06-30-2015, 03:05 PM   #31
bap

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedrck46 View Post
You have proven the old saying That you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

It appears that every reply you have received has told you that you are over your weight limits for your BMW

Yet you have decided that everyone is putting down your BMW

Many have suggested that you looking into a TT with less tongue weight. Or have suggested a different TV But the suggestion for you to get a different TV is due to your instance of using your BMW beyond it rated Tongue weight.

You came onto the forum with the hopes that someone on here would agree with your decision and you are disappointed that everyone has suggested that you DON"T DO WHAT YOU WANT TO DO. So now you think everyone is against BMW's

I personally have nothing against BMW's maybe the people that drive them but not BMW's

No matter what you decide to do and my opinion is that you had decided that long before you made a post on the forum. I am just glad you won't be driving in my area and I feel sorry for your family as you have decided that you don't care about yours and their safety.

You are pushing and exceeding the weight limits of the combination you are considering Especially with as you say you have no experience with TT's

But that is typical of BMW owners they live (or die) to push the limits.

Again Just my opinion and it doesn't matter as you have decided that all the advice you have been given so far doesn't matter to you

Forget doing any more research as YOUR MIND IS ALREADY MADE UP and if people with many years and miles of experience can't sink it into your head than nothing will
Well said
Old 06-30-2015, 03:24 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
I think you should buy a TT like mine! JK

+1

If you are going to ignore the limits placed upon your vehicle by the engineers that built it you might as well go big!
Old 06-30-2015, 03:46 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaru297 View Post
+1

If you are going to ignore the limits placed upon your vehicle by the engineers that built it you might as well go big!
It won't matter to him as DEAD IS DEAD
Old 06-30-2015, 03:50 PM   #34

Bono,

I have to say coming to this website to ge the opinion of what kind of trailer you should buy and questioning your concerns and trying to improve your knowlage base was a good idea. I know that you made the right choice by trying to get a better understanding of what you're getting into,but coming to a website and not taking advantage of the expertise and knowledge is in my opinion is silly. The trailer you were looking at is a very nice trailer I looked at it my self. I had a f150 with the tow capacity to make it work at least that is what I thought. I was bouncing on my max tow capacity. But after reading website like this I realized 2 thinks even with the longer wheel base of a f150 it was still not long enough to stop the "the tail wagging the dog" what that means is with a shorter wheelbases tv and a long trailer if the trailer starts to whip it can't hold the trailer back and can throw you off the road up side down. I have lots of driving experience Ihave owned semi trucks and drove track all my life even with big truck s this can happen. Very scary . the other issue is pay load even with my f150 which had a way higher pay load than the x5. And by the way i love the x5 they are a great suv. The trailer took all of the payload I had no room for people of stuff in the back of the bed. This is one of the biggest issues with smaller tvs is the lack of howmuch weight the can carry not pull carry 2 dif numbers I switch to a 3/4 ton ford and I'm glad I did I could have pulled it with my f150 but I was over my carring capacity. Check other website there is a big one called irv2 ask around see what people say.the x5 is a great vehicle just not to pull heavy loads with it.

Jayflight 2014 RLDS
2012 Ford F250 6.7 4x4
Old 06-30-2015, 03:59 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahoboy View Post
Bono,

I have to say coming to this website to ge the opinion of what kind of trailer you should buy and questioning your concerns and trying to improve your knowlage base was a good idea. I know that you made the right choice by trying to get a better understanding of what you're getting into,but coming to a website and not taking advantage of the expertise and knowledge is in my opinion is silly. The trailer you were looking at is a very nice trailer I looked at it my self. I had a f150 with the tow capacity to make it work at least that is what I thought. I was bouncing on my max tow capacity. But after reading website like this I realized 2 thinks even with the longer wheel base of a f150 it was still not long enough to stop the "the tail wagging the dog" what that means is with a shorter wheelbases tv and a long trailer if the trailer starts to whip it can't hold the trailer back and can throw you off the road up side down. I have lots of driving experience Ihave owned semi trucks and drove track all my life even with big truck s this can happen. Very scary . the other issue is pay load even with my f150 which had a way higher pay load than the x5. And by the way i love the x5 they are a great suv. The trailer took all of the payload I had no room for people of stuff in the back of the bed. This is one of the biggest issues with smaller tvs is the lack of howmuch weight the can carry not pull carry 2 dif numbers I switch to a 3/4 ton ford and I'm glad I did I could have pulled it with my f150 but I was over my carring capacity. Check other website there is a big one called irv2 ask around see what people say.the x5 is a great vehicle just not to pull heavy loads with it.

Well said.

But if Bono isn't going to pay any attention to what has been posted here today, Then why bother doing research on other sites to get the same advice he has already been given. He would just be wasting others time. His mind was made up before he even came on this site.

As I said earlier I have nothing against BMW's But the drivers of BMW's are a different story.
Old 06-30-2015, 05:00 PM   #36

And ... the purpose of a forum isn't to lecture or chide but rather to graciously share knowledge and pass-on the wisdom gained by (good and bad) experience. Everyone's sage advise is worthy of consideration but there is no mandate it be followed. As our grandparents taught us ... if you can't say something nice, then don't say anything at all OR you catch more flies with honey than vinegar (in other words, say what you want to say but present it in a proactive/positive way).

Old 06-30-2015, 05:39 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattie View Post
And ... the purpose of a forum isn't to lecture or chide but rather to graciously share knowledge and pass-on the wisdom gained by (good and bad) experience. Everyone's sage advise is worthy of consideration but there is no mandate it be followed. As our grandparents taught us ... if you can't say something nice, then don't say anything at all OR you catch more flies with honey than vinegar (in other words, say what you want to say but present it in a proactive/positive way).
Well said Hope you read all of what was in this thread to get a better understanding of the attitudes
Old 06-30-2015, 06:07 PM   #38

Yep, I posted #20 AND continue to read the entire thread. Oldies should be welcoming newbies and neither add value if bringing-down the tone/mood of the forum; I'm sure we can all share honest opinions in a positive manner without making it personal.

Old 06-30-2015, 09:19 PM   #39

With all due respect, you are wrong. I got different advice on other sites, e.g. Airstream forum where there are a few owners of German SUVs towing mid and large size trailers.

There is also some good information on BMW forums, which as I understand you do not visit that often...

The common thing is that if owner of German SUV is asking about something related to towing a large size trailer, regardless of the question 80% folks are saying that he should get truck to tow.

I respect your opinions and thank you again for your input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedrck46 View Post
(...) Then why bother doing research on other sites to get the same advice he has already been given. He would just be wasting others time. His mind was made up before he even came on this site.

As I said earlier I have nothing against BMW's But the drivers of BMW's are a different story.
Old 06-30-2015, 09:23 PM   #40

Quote:
With all due respect, you are wrong. I got different advice on other sites, e.g. Airstream forum where there are a few owners of German SUVs towing mid and large size trailers.
I say this without any snark as I am truly interested. What are people telling you with respect to tongue weight? Are they telling you that you can exceed your max tongue weight by 300-400 pounds and that it's safe to do so?
Closed Thread