Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 09:29 PM   #41

Yes, there are some who are doing this with e.g. reinforced hitches and WDS. Some have 40k+ miles with such setups with no issues.

Is this safe? I do not know...
Old 06-30-2015, 09:36 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
Yes, there are some who are doing this with e.g. reinforced hitches and WDS. Some have 40k+ miles with such setups with no issues.

Is this safe? I do not know...
Ah I see. With additional mods. That makes more sense. I don't know if it's safe either. I know Can-Am RV here in Ontario, Canada do a ton of mods and there are people on both sides of the fence saying what they do is great and safe and others who think it's not the thing to do.

I briefly considered mods to our SUV but when I started looking into what needed to be done, the reinforcement as you mentioned, upgrades to the suspension system, air bags, and then using a WDH on a frame that the manufacturer recommended not to use one, and then not knowing if what I had in the end was going to have a component or failure of the reinforcements, meant I decided against it. I'm a mom though so have a tendency to worry more than dads, so that probably also came into play.
Old 06-30-2015, 09:45 PM   #43

Can-Am RV is well known - they prepared one of the X5 which is towing 8100 lbs Airstream with 1,000 lbs tongue weight.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:50 PM   #44

Before you buy anything, ask the dealer if you can make a test tow. If they are confident that your BMW is up for the task they shouldn't have any issues with that. Make it a real test, tow the Sunol Grade, Hwy 17 from LG to SC, Hwy 152 from Wattsonville to Gilroy. A loop like that will give examples of nearly all the traffic, grades, traffic, speeds that you are likely to encounter.

Make sure you have your family with you and place a couple 50# sand bags in the front pass through so you can at least partially simulate what a loaded TT would feel like.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
Old 06-30-2015, 11:11 PM   #45

This thread is a waste of time.. Bono, why even ask for opinions if you are not willing to listen to any advice.. Please post pictures when you get your trailer hooked up, i'd like to see the x5 doing a wheelie.
Old 07-01-2015, 05:48 AM   #46

Bono Suggest that you read the following.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...html#post24549

I would also say that although there are others that are and have decided to EXCEDE the limits that BMW state for any of their vehicles doesn't mean that you should.
Those limits are there for a reason. If you decide to ignore those limits that is your choice. And from the responses on this thread it seems that everyone with experience has suggested you are over your tongue weight and suggest you to look for a different TT that would keep you within those limits.

From your replies and comments about what others are towing your mind was made up long before you posted on this forum.

Just because the Toyota can tow the Space Shuttle as was shown in their TV ad doesn't mean that everyone can think they can do it.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:15 AM   #47

I currently own a WhiteHawk 28DSBH. I purchased it thinking my 2006 Chevy 1/2ton would pull it. It was rated for more than your BMW and it did pull the trailer. I only towed a few times with that truck before purchasing a 2010 2500HD 3/4ton 6.L Gas truck. The 1/2ton would work fine on perfectly flat ground. Other than that, constant transmission hunting and no power on the hills. Night and day difference going to a 3/4ton. We just got back from Pennsylvanian and Virginia. I took US30 into Gettysburg, I believe 8percent grades and tight turns. No problem for the 3/4 ton. Most of West Virgina was hills as well, and no problems. If you feel safe pulling a 6k dry, no equipment, up and down hills/mountains, go for it. I will also say my truck uses the transmission for down hill deceleration, I use the brakes very little.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:55 AM   #48

I also love how you believe a X5 is better suited TV than a pick up truck. I don't think you are factoring in the extra stress pulling that much weight can create. The 28dsbh had half a tank of fresh water, full cargo and it was 90 degrees going up Tuscarora Summit and my transmission was running around 220 degrees. I would like to see your BMW make it up and down the pass in the same conditions. Your BMW would be better suited for a smaller trailer. It is just my opinion that you are endangering other peoples lives pulling a 32' 6kdry travel trailer with that small of a vehicle.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:28 AM   #49
Site Team

This thread is now closed

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
Closed Thread