Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 03:49 PM   #1

28DSBH - floor plan, TV

Hello,

I am thinking about buying 2016 WHITE HAWK 28DSBH. I am new to the TT concept, therefore, I have a few questions.

Background

Family: me, wife, toddler, number two in the 1-2 years time + dog

TV: BMW X5 diesel, tongue weight 600 lbs, towing capacity 7,700 lbs (there are some other specs online – 6,000 lbs -, but I am confident 7,700 lbs is the proper one for my vehicle)

TT: Dry Hitch Weight 655 lbs, Unloaded Vehicle Weight 6020 lbs, Gross Vehicle Weight Rating 7500 lbs

2016 White Hawk 28DSBH | Jayco, Inc.

Questions

Do you think that this trailer (floorplan, etc.) is a good idea for my family? I have no experience with travel trailers, so I really need an advice from more experienced folks.

The issue which bugs me is the tongue weight. I see two options here: using weight distribution system (which is not recommended by BMW, but many owners use it without problems) or to try to pack some stuff in the back of the trailer to keep the tongue weight as low as possible. I need to admit that I do not want to be conservative as many owners are. If not this model, I would like to use the max of my car towing capacity.

Please let me know what do you think about it?

I am very much into hiking. I love Yosemite NP. There are many campground spots which are restricted to 24 ft long trailers. I have read that this is not a restriction per se as nobody is checking the size of the trailer and as far as you can park the trailer without blocking the road you should be fine.

The trailer I am looking at is 32' 9" long – question to Yosemite experts: is it too long for this park or generally, should be fine?

Many thanks for your feedback!

bono
Old 06-29-2015, 07:13 PM   #2
bap

That would be a good family camper. However, it is already to heavy for your tow vehicle by having a empty hitch weight of 655lbs while you TV has a 600lbs rating. By the time you add full propane tanks and battery plus all your stuff in the camper, people in the TV, you will well exceed the tong weight rating. That is a big camper and requires a bigger tow vehicle like a 2500 pickup to safely haul. Most SUV's are not heavy enough nor have proper gearing and brakes for heavy loads. Something in the low 20'sfoot range would be better suited for your vehicle.
Old 06-29-2015, 07:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bap View Post
That would be a good family camper. However, it is already to heavy for your tow vehicle by having a empty hitch weight of 655lbs while you TV has a 600lbs rating. By the time you add full propane tanks and battery plus all your stuff in the camper, people in the TV, you will well exceed the tong weight rating. That is a big camper and requires a bigger tow vehicle like a 2500 pickup to safely haul. Most SUV's are not heavy enough nor have proper gearing and brakes for heavy loads. Something in the low 20'sfoot range would be better suited for your vehicle.
Listen to what he said and I'll keep it short " it won't work"!
Old 06-29-2015, 07:29 PM   #4

I would agree with bap. We started with a small 23ft trailer, no slides and it weighed 4200lbs dry, 420lb tongue. We towed with a Toyota Highlander, and on the way back from the first significant trip, I told the wife we were upgrading our tow vehicle - white knuckled the whole way back. We now have a Ford F150 Ecoboost with the Max Tow package. This year we upgraded to a 28ft Jayco. Well within specs and handles great. Trust the feedback here. No matter how it looks on paper, it won't feel comfortable.

You would want to stay in the 20ft range, possibly look at the hybrid trailers (tent popouts) rather than hard sides. If you want something larger or with slides, get a dedicated tow vehicle.
Old 06-29-2015, 09:13 PM   #5

It's a great floor plan and you'll love it with your family.

But get a new truck to tow it with.

2014 White Hawk 28DSBH
2012 F150 EcoBoost MaxTow (2022 F150 PowerBoost on order)
Reese 1200 WDH / Dual Cam Sway Control
Old 06-29-2015, 09:25 PM   #6

28DSBH - floor plan, TV

Agree with every post here. And having been a recent SUV owner that thought they could keep the tongue light enough, and it didn't work, and upgraded to a truck that could tow it, you won't be sorry buying smaller or getting a truck now.

And the tongue weight listed for our trailer was within our allowable tongue weight. And still no way to keep it even close to that once loaded. The trailer you're looking at is already over the tongue weight and will be way over once it's the proper ratio to the weight of the trailer.

Sounds like you have the Invisihitch which allows the full tow rating of the X5 (the hitch that comes standard in Europe), but unfortunately BMW only allows a tongue weight of 600# as the trailers in Europe are designed to be towed with a lighter tongue. That's why the factory hitch in NA has a 6000# tow limit as it coincides with our minimum 10% tongue weight standard here.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:27 PM   #7
Lost in the Woods

An X5 is a sports car on steroids, not a TV. Get a pickup!
Old 06-29-2015, 11:21 PM   #8

Hi Guys,

Many thanks for your responses! I really, really appreciate this.

I am not going to give up on my X5 soon. I am waiting for BMW X7 to be launched in 2018 or if I do not like the new model I will go with Mercedes GLS (rated 7500#/750#). But at least for the next three years I am planning to use X5.

Definitely there are not many people going over the towing capacity of the vehicles. One of them is “withidl”. He has kind of high status among the Airstream towing community. He is towing 8,500 lbs trailer with 1,000 lbs tongue weight with his BMW X5.
@SilverEscape – currently I have OE Euro hitch in my X5. I imported this from Europe as I wanted to avoid the ugly bumper cut which it required with the US spec hitch – Invisihitch was not available in 2011 I believe. I will need to change it as the Euro hitch is rated to 250 lbs tongue weight and 7,700 lbs trailer.

I know Invisihitch does not work with weight distribution system (one user reported some damages to the hitch when using WDS and the manufacturer claims that the hitch will not work with WDS).

So, I will go with US OE hitch (rated 6000#/600#) with the WDS (and with the ugly bumper cut). The question is whether I should beef it up before installing?

Many thanks!

bono
Old 06-30-2015, 06:20 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
Hi Guys,

Many thanks for your responses! I really, really appreciate this.

I am not going to give up on my X5 soon. I am waiting for BMW X7 to be launched in 2018 or if I do not like the new model I will go with Mercedes GLS (rated 7500#/750#). But at least for the next three years I am planning to use X5.

Definitely there are not many people going over the towing capacity of the vehicles. One of them is “withidl”. He has kind of high status among the Airstream towing community. He is towing 8,500 lbs trailer with 1,000 lbs tongue weight with his BMW X5.
@SilverEscape – currently I have OE Euro hitch in my X5. I imported this from Europe as I wanted to avoid the ugly bumper cut which it required with the US spec hitch – Invisihitch was not available in 2011 I believe. I will need to change it as the Euro hitch is rated to 250 lbs tongue weight and 7,700 lbs trailer.

I know Invisihitch does not work with weight distribution system (one user reported some damages to the hitch when using WDS and the manufacturer claims that the hitch will not work with WDS).

So, I will go with US OE hitch (rated 6000#/600#) with the WDS (and with the ugly bumper cut). The question is whether I should beef it up before installing?

Many thanks!

bono
If you are not willing to change your TV then you have to get a lighter/smaller trailer.

Just because some guy tows overweight and has been lucky enough to get away with it so far does not make it a smart or safe thing to do. Your family is going to be inside the X5. You will feel comfortable knowing your family is in the vehicle and while towing overweight, breaking the law and putting them and others at risk?

Any idea what the legal and monetary liabilities are should something go wrong?

Not a smart choice imo to go ahead with something that is unsafe. But to each his own.

Glad I do not live near the Bay Area.

TV = 2006 F-350 CC DRW 6.0
TT = 2018 Wildwood 31KQBTS
TT = 2007 Jayco Jay Flight 27bh - SOLD
Old 06-30-2015, 06:27 AM   #10

The car is rated to tow 7,700 lbs trailer. I am going to use weight distribution system to decrease the tongue weight.

I am just curious, which part means breaking the law?
Old 06-30-2015, 06:36 AM   #11

Based on your numbers, your Tongue weight is too much for the vehicle, and that is dry. Secondly I would think your gvwr of the BMW will be over when the family is in there along with the loaded tongue weight. Your go over the manufacturer weight ratings of the vehicle and you are breaking the law.

I would also think there is a clause in your vehicle insurance policy that addresses this and they might not pay should you be involved in an accident and are found to have exceeded the capacity of the vehicle.

I have seen it first hand. Auto accident involving an obviously overloaded vehicle coming down a hill and could not stop. Long story short, Police Motor Carrier unit on scene weighing the vehicle and its load after it was uprighted. Thousands in fines and clean up costs and lord only knows what the cost of the injuries were.

If you are unwilling to get rid of the X5 then maybe think about a vehicle just for towing.

I did not feel comfortable towing with my Suburban as I was too close to its ratings so I bought a used F-350 DRW Diesel just to tow with. It is a small price to pay for the safety of my family and everyone else out there on the road.

Old 06-30-2015, 06:42 AM   #12

Quote:
The car is rated to tow 7,700 lbs trailer. I am going to use weight distribution system to decrease the tongue weight.

I am just curious, which part means breaking the law?
Weight distributing hitch does not decrease the tongue weight. It helps to distribute the tongue weight to the front of the vehicle to prevent the rear from sagging so much. The hitch actually adds weight as it is a big chunk of steel added to the TV.

Old 06-30-2015, 07:09 AM   #13

Thank you! I appreciate your opinion. Unfortunately, I do not believe that an average heavy truck is better TV than X5. Every single heavy truck available on the market will take longer to stop than BMW X5. Adding the trailer does not change this fact.

BMW X5 has lower center of gravity, more precise steering, increased roll stability and stiffer chassis than many trucks given as examples of great TV. It is far less likely to be in that ditch upside down than a heavy duty pickup, which many consider a very suitable TV.

I will research a little bit more about the risks related to increased tongue weight.

In the mean time, if you could suggest any alternative to 28DSBH, I would appreciate this. Again, I am going to use the maximum of the towing capacity of the vehicle. I will not go with any pop-up, etc.

Thank you!
Old 06-30-2015, 07:13 AM   #14

I'd never consider towing that TT with an X5!

I have a 2015 28DSBH and my tongue weight loaded up and ready to go is between #975-#1100 ! That's modest loading too as I could pack more in there!

I traded my 1500 in (bought a 2500) because I didn't like the towing experience so I can only imagine how terrible it would be with an shorter, SUV.

The X5 can tow no doubt, but it needs to be a smaller TT. I'd think somewhere in the #3500 range (16-20 feet...hybrid type) which will allow your tongue weight to be 12%-15% of total TT weight. Even this will be close but I'd think it would be good depending on loading habits.

The 2016s are heavier than my 2015 too so I'd think your tongue weight would be #1000 minimum once loaded. I'd rethink the purchase, look for a dedicated TV, or look at smaller trailers.

Hope it all works out for you and your family to enjoy camping in a TT.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:13 AM   #15

Quote:
Thank you! I appreciate your opinion. Unfortunately, I do not believe that an average heavy truck is better TV than X5. Every single heavy truck available on the market will take longer to stop than BMW X5. Adding the trailer does not change this fact.

BMW X5 has lower center of gravity, more precise steering, increased roll stability and stiffer chassis than many trucks given as examples of great TV. It is far less likely to be in that ditch upside down than a heavy duty pickup, which many consider a very suitable TV.
I'm going to grab a coffee and watch the replies to this one!

2014 White Hawk 28DSBH
2012 F150 EcoBoost MaxTow (2022 F150 PowerBoost on order)
Reese 1200 WDH / Dual Cam Sway Control
Old 06-30-2015, 07:26 AM   #16

Just my opinion but anyone that insists they are going to "use the maximum of the towing capacity of the vehicle" is a fool especially since they are new to TT'S You have been given some very good information and advice from those with far more experience than you have. If your not going to listen then at least take into consideration the safety of your family.

Also as you state " I am going to use weight distribution system to decrease the tongue weight. The name says WEIGHT DISTRIBUTION NOT WEIGHT REDUCTION
Old 06-30-2015, 07:29 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmward View Post
I'm going to grab a coffee and watch the replies to this one!
I am going to do the same.

But I am glad he is on the west coast as I wouldn't want to be any where near him when some 80000 lb Tractor trailer goes past him and sucks him over.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:36 AM   #18

Probably would be wise to find a trailer, when loaded has a tongue weight around the 600lb limit you are trying to find to match the tow vehicle.

I think may of us have put our faith in the printed tongue weight of the travel trailers. But like previous folks have mentioned, if we are traveling with propane, battery, and a furnished trailer, that tongue weight shoots up pretty fast. Whatever is printed on the brochure becomes useless.

Although our tow vehicles can operate in excess of the GVWR capacity, I think it wise to consider the safety of the occupants traveling in the tow vehicle. Is traveling overweight more dangerous than within the engineered capacity of the vehicle? Ya, probably.

If I'm asking the opinion of folks who have the experience and they share their wisdom and experience with me, I will give that due consideration. I think the masses recommend a tow vehicle more suited for heavy trailer towing.

While the X5 is capable of towing, there is no doubt that the size trailer you are considering will be a pretty big load for the vehicle. And when wet and loaded, will be around 8,000lb with 900 - 1000lb on the tongue.

On paper, my trailer and tow vehicle should line up pretty well. But going down the road with my family in the vehicle, I would feel more safe with an HD pick up.

In the end, you just won't know what you got until you go down the road with it for a while. Just be prepared - That tongue weight listed for all these trailers is not real world numbers. 600lb listed tongue weight will turn into 1,000lb real quick when you get loaded up.

Good luck.
2015 Jayflight 28 BHBE (sold)
2009 Jayflight 26 BH (sold)
Old 06-30-2015, 07:51 AM   #19

Tongue weight too heavy will reduce your steering and braking capabilities; it is not safe. As well, you would be wearing out your suspension components at best, and at worst, risking a failure of a component while you're driving.

As has been mentioned, a weight distributing hitch does not reduce tongue weight. The WDH itself typically weighs around 100 pounds; it ADDS to tongue weight in fact!

If you want to keep within you're vehicles limits, you need to look for a trailer that weighs about 4000 pounds when fully loaded. You'd be at a 600 pound tongue weight using 15%. If you go heavier, you risk being over the max tongue weight of your vehicle (once you swap out the hitch as you said your current hitch maxes out at 250 pounds tongue weight). Some trailers simply do not lend themselves to a 10% tongue so even if you think you can keep it at 10%, it may be impossible so assume 15%.

With a 4000 pound loaded trailer, you're looking at a trailer of about 3000-3200 dry weight. And that means the weight on be yellow sticker of the trailer, not the weight in the brochure or web site.

There is also payload. If you go with the original trailer you're looking at, it will end up likely around a 900 pound tongue weight. In that size of an SUV, you're probably over your payload already which means you can't even add a driver to the vehicle. When the manufacturers design these things, they usually only allow room for a driver and possibly a passenger in their numbers. So it wouldn't be out of line for your payload to be 900 pounds or less.

Look on the stickers on your driver's side door and there should be one that tells you something like "do not exceed X pounds".
Old 06-30-2015, 07:54 AM   #20

Like you, Bay Area residents ... and unfortunately many of California state campgrounds DO restrict and audit length - because of either campsite depth and/or road challenges getting to and navigating within the campgrounds ~ Big Basin is an example. This is why we settled for the 25' and even then experience restrictions. For years, when our son was small and with our dogs, we settled with a lighter TV (4-Runner) and tent-trailer (pop-up) that we still own and he now uses. To be honest, that was more like "camping" but as empty-nesters, now we want to accommodate both blistering summers AND stormy winters!

BTW, although when we bought our current TT, our TV was adequate (GMC 1500) but with plans to traverse the Rockies, we upgraded it and are amazed as the improved towing experience ... well worth it! We especially like the exhaust-braking with the diesel ~ it performed perfectly as we navigated the Grapevine (I-5 north of LA).

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Closed Thread