Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-19-2013, 02:01 PM   #1

29RLDS owners HELP

I have a 2012 Jay Flight 29RLDS and I think it was made on a FRIDAY!! I have taken back to the dealer about 4 or 5 times since I bought it new in July 2012.
The last time I had it there, about 3 weeks ago they replaced the top right pantry door because it was warped at the bottom left of the door. It would not close tight at the bottom. They called and said it was ready so I picked it up and parked it until Tuesday when I took off for a little get away. Here is a picture of the NEW door they installed, now it looks like they bent the hinges to make the latch catch and now there is a big gap between the door and frame.
The next pictures are of the trim pieces on the slide that is in the bathroom and bedroom, the trim pieces are just falling apart and the finish is flaking off.
The next couple of pictures is of the outside of the wardrobe slide. The bottom is out farther than the top, I had it for this right after I got it and they said that was normal but a weather piece on top of it to keep water out. I don't think it is normal.

I would appreciate it if someone with a 29RLDS could post a picture of their wardrobe slide so can see if theirs is the same way, I would like to have a picture of the way it is suppose to be to show the dealer. And this Richardson RV one of the biggest Jayco dealers in Calif.

Click on picture to start slide show
Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer repair 001.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	10390Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer repair 003.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	10391Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer repair 005.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	10392Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer repair 008.jpg
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	10393Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer repair 011.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	10394Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer repair 010.jpg
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	10395

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once
joe in calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 02:10 PM   #2

I don't own the same TT, but will offer my 2 cents. As for the flaking of the trim pieces(and this is just a guess)it looks like it may have gotten wet. Remember, just a guess. As for the slide, my TT has three. One in the living area, and 2 in the bunkhouse. The 2 in the bunkhouse are further out at the bottom, than at the top. Not sure if it is normal or not. I do know that there is a good seal around the entire slides. Never any issue with water or wind. Not sure about your door issues. I for one wouldn't be real happy with the repair work that was done. Keep us posted.
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 03:45 PM   #3

Thank you for your thoughts. I also think the trim pieces got wet, there is a big gap inside between the slide and the inside of the trailer. At the bottom of the side inside the trailer you can't put your finger between the 2 pieces, As you move your hand up there is a big gap between the 2 and I would think it should be tight all the way up as my living room slide is. I'm heading out again in a week so I won't be able to take it back to the dealer until I return from that trip because last time they had it for almost a month. I did take some pictures of the damage so I will show them to the dealer on Monday and maybe they can order the trim pieces and have them there when I bring the trailer in after my next trip.
I had a Jayco 23 FB G2 before this trailer and never had a problem. I guess you win some and you lose some

Old 10-19-2013, 07:29 PM   #4

"The next couple of pictures is of the outside of the wardrobe slide. The bottom is out farther than the top, I had it for this right after I got it and they said that was normal but a weather piece on top of it to keep water out. I don't think it is normal."

Joe....I have the same floorplan, but in the Eagle version. Really like it. Your wardrobe slide looks like mine when out. I thought I had a problem when the slide came in because the top would not pull up tight to the trailer sidewall. Talked to the service tech at Jayco. His reasoning....the wardrobe slide only has one motor at the bottom to move the slide in and out. So it seems that when the slide goes out, the force of the motor pushes the bottom out as far as it will go and the top sort of tags along. When the slide goes in, the motor at the bottom pulls the bottom trim in tight and the top of the slide sits out from the wall an inch or so. To overcome that scenario, you have to install the adjustable slide lock onto the upper, inner corner of the slide in the bedroom. Pulls the top in tighter to the sidewall. This is done when towing your trailer or pulling the slide in for the winter.

The larger slide has 2 motors, top and bottom. Hence when the slide comes in, it pulls up tight to the outside wall top and bottom.

If your service people feel there's a way to adjust the wardrobe slide, I's be interested in hearing about it.

On Permanent site at Gillies Lake, Bruce Peninsula
LilBigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:26 PM   #5

Thank you for that answer. I used the brace when the trailer was new I guess I will have to start using it again. My concern was really when it is out that it is not tight at the top and water might seep in. When I first took it to the dealer for this problem they did install a lip above both slides (picture) but never gave the explanation as your dealer did which sounds logical. Thank you for the help.

Old 10-21-2013, 03:49 PM   #6

I have one slide on my trailer. It has one motor at the bottom. The slide is tight against the outside all around when closed and tight against the inside all around when open.

The weather piece that was installed must help against water intrusion, but the gasket's purpose is to seal it - if the slide is tight against the inside, or the outside. Further, as I understand it the weather piece is a dealer installed item. If the slide is properly adjusted, why does it need a non-factory installed weather piece to keep rain out? What keeps out wind from blowing into the trailer? What keeps out blowing water when there is rain and wind? Only that gasket - which is apparently not touching the side of the trailer, when closed or open.

Frankly, I think the dealers are blowing smoke either because they do not know what to do, or they don't want to do it. One thing you could do is call Jayco directly, tell them the problem, and see what they say.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 04:41 PM   #7

[QUOTE=joe in calif;158969]Thank you for that answer. I used the brace when the trailer was new I guess I will have to start using it again. My concern was really when it is out that it is not tight at the top and water might seep in. When I first took it to the dealer for this problem they did install a lip above both slides (picture) but never gave the explanation as your dealer did which sounds logical. Thank you for the help.

Joe....I can see in this photo that your slide is out a bit at the top. I bet if you installed the brace, the top portion of the slide would pull in nicely. Mine did.

You could take RVhiker's advice and contact Jayco directly regarding the problem and see what they advise. I'd like to know.

On Permanent site at Gillies Lake, Bruce Peninsula
LilBigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:11 PM   #8

We have a slide that doesn't close all the way on the bottom edge. Three different dealerships can't get it to come in all the way. When the bottom of the slide comes in all the way the floor tips up about an inch. Our slide doesn't do that so the bottom of the slide drags on the flooring and is leaving a lot of skid marks and will eventually tear the flooring. If we had a gap at the top and if the bottom worked as designed we would be happy. I would put a slide topper on and not worry about it. In the end, you have an option you just need lots of $$$$.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:55 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilBigfoot View Post
"The next couple of pictures is of the outside of the wardrobe slide. The bottom is out farther than the top, I had it for this right after I got it and they said that was normal but a weather piece on top of it to keep water out. I don't think it is normal."

Joe....I have the same floorplan, but in the Eagle version. Really like it. Your wardrobe slide looks like mine when out. I thought I had a problem when the slide came in because the top would not pull up tight to the trailer sidewall. Talked to the service tech at Jayco. His reasoning....the wardrobe slide only has one motor at the bottom to move the slide in and out. So it seems that when the slide goes out, the force of the motor pushes the bottom out as far as it will go and the top sort of tags along. When the slide goes in, the motor at the bottom pulls the bottom trim in tight and the top of the slide sits out from the wall an inch or so. To overcome that scenario, you have to install the adjustable slide lock onto the upper, inner corner of the slide in the bedroom. Pulls the top in tighter to the sidewall. This is done when towing your trailer or pulling the slide in for the winter.

The larger slide has 2 motors, top and bottom. Hence when the slide comes in, it pulls up tight to the outside wall top and bottom.

If your service people feel there's a way to adjust the wardrobe slide, I's be interested in hearing about it.
Makes sense. My wardrobe slide looks the same when out. When bringing it in, I always help the top keep up with the bottom. And ours did come with the slide lock and I do use it when its in..
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote