Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-13-2014, 09:19 AM   #1

2nd battery question

I just bought a new jayco trailer and I'm wondering if it's worth it to have the dealer install a 2nd 12 volt battery for $140 or whatever it is or is it better to wait and get a proper deep cycle battery setup using golf cart batteries. Thanks.

Edit - ive don't some more searching and it seems getting another batter is ok. please let me know if you think otherwise. thanks

Barnaclepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 10:56 AM   #2

That depends on the type of camping you intend to do. If you are going to be hooked up to shore power at your campgrounds, then the standard battery that comes with your TT is more than enough. (Just remember to pull the main fuse by the battery when stored and not hooked up to shore power for a few days, as there are things that draw power (fridge ckt board, CO alarm, radio..)

If you are planning on dry camping (no shore power), then a second battery is recommended. Should you just add a second battery like the existing, or convert to TRUE DEEP CYCLE batteries? That can be decided based on the amount of time you will be dry camping? Couple days? Week?... As you will need to recharge the batteries using a generator, TV, or Solar. If you will be dry camping, I personally would recommend just adding a second battery and seeing how that will work. It will still be cheaper that buying 2 new TRUE deep cycle batteries, and your learning experience will be on cheaper batteries and not on the EXPENSIVE ones.

You will want to convert your interior lights to LED's, which will drain your batteries a lot less than regular bulbs. Inverter?

Just my thoughts,
Don

2 - AirSight Wireless IP Cameras (used as rear view cameras)
EnGenius WI-FI extender, D-Link wireless (n) modem
MagicJack Internet Phone
2012 Ford F150XLT, EcoBoost w/3.73
157" Wheel base, HD Towing Package

Our Solar Album https://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?albumid=329
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 10:59 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaclepete View Post
I just bought a new jayco trailer and I'm wondering if it's worth it to have the dealer install a 2nd 12 volt battery for $140 or whatever it is or is it better to wait and get a deep cycle battery setup. Thanks.
I would think, the dealer would be installing a 12 volt deep cycle to match the battery you already have on your coach. If you can get the battery and install for $140 I'd go that route. Even though it's a simple installation at that price why not let the dealer do it.

I added a 2nd battery to my setup a few months ago and did the installation myself. The group 29 battery cost me $130 alone then add the cables and etc, I've got over 2 benjamins in it.

I would suggest you have them connect the batteries using no less than 4 awg cables though. I used 2 awg on my battery upgrade.

Good luck!
Old 08-13-2014, 11:10 AM   #4

Thanks All. Ill probably have it done then. The trailer is a 2015 x19H so it already has LED lighting I believe.
Old 09-25-2014, 03:28 PM   #5

I have the group 29 battery also and am trying to add another one without storing inside any ideas?
I also posted more specifics on an earlier post today.

Thanks
dennis b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 06:14 PM   #6

I would think you should be able to fit 2 batteries side by side. I know mine originally came with 2 batteries from the dealer (per my request) and they fit in the stock battery tray. Later we upgraded from those 2 12-volts to 4 - 6 volts. If you had to you could have an easy mod welded to accommodate whatever you end up doing. I paid a local welder $20 to fabricate a angle iron battery tray on top of my tongue, just above the original tray, to accommodate all four of our 6 volts. This isn't the best picture. All of the covers are off and the propane tank have been removed but you get the idea. https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/pictur...pictureid=2593

2007 Jayco Jay Flight 26BHS
2005 GMC YukonXL Denali
4 6-volt batteries - 440 AH bank
Magnum Energy MSH-3012 Tri Metric 2025
Yamaha EF3000iSEB generator
Winegard Traveler DirecTV slimline HD SK-3005
Big Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 08:26 PM   #7

link doesnt show anything?
Old 09-26-2014, 10:46 AM   #8

Sorry dennis b, here is a different photo. Simple tray welded out of angle iron to the A frame of the tongue, along with D-clips to attach a ratcheting strap to hold down the covers.
Attached Thumbnails
2013-10-09 10.47.54.jpg  

2007 Jayco Jay Flight 26BHS
2005 GMC YukonXL Denali
4 6-volt batteries - 440 AH bank
Magnum Energy MSH-3012 Tri Metric 2025
Yamaha EF3000iSEB generator
Winegard Traveler DirecTV slimline HD SK-3005
Big Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 03:11 PM   #9

On my trailer I fit 2 no problem. Not sure i could do 4 there easily and also that would add ~150lb tounge weight. What trailer do you have? I just have the small 19 and 2 batteries seem sufficient for my needs. I want solar at some point and a small 2000 honda or yamaha but for now this is working with no problems.
Old 09-26-2014, 04:51 PM   #10

2011 jayflight 28bhs