Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-20-2013, 01:37 PM   #1

3 and a half months in the '99 242

Over the summer we sold our home and choose to live in our '99 242 while we purchased our next home. We lived in it from July 19 2013 to November 10 2013. We stayed at a campground only a couple miles from work and had full hook up. I will say, I have learned some things:

1st. The tub/shower was not meant for big guys like me. Although I fit, my head touched the celing and could hardly turn around with out touching the wall or shower curtin.

2nd. I am glad it was only my wife, myself and our Border Terrier. Any kids in this camper would be difficult since there is no seperate sleeping area with out converting a couch or table.

3rd. #30 propane tanks dont last nearly as long in the fall. Seems like I was filling one a week, once we started running the furnace. We even used an electric heater to help and turned them both off while we were at work.

4th. Its hard to keep the condensation off the exterior walls and windows when the heat is running. It was always damp once the weather turned.

5th. Shower still leaks onto the floor outside the bathroom. I had posted about this shortly after I joined this group and thought I had fixed it, but it seemed to come back worse than ever towards the end of our stay. Maybe I will need to recaulk where the shower surrond and tub meet.

6th. SNOW IS NOT GOOD FOR AN AWNING. Found this out the hard way. Woke up one morning to find that we got about a half inch of wet/heavy snow. I cleared it off and rolled it up as soon as I found it, but the roller pole (what the awning is attached to) had already bent :-(

7th. Storage. Even though we had packed up most all of our house in to an enclosed trailer, we still seem to have run out of room with just the basics in the camper.

I will say, I still look forward to camping next summer, but hopefully only for a week or so at a time. I have winterized the 242 for the season and still need to put the wheel covers, and ac cover on. I am happy we found the home we were looking for with plenty of storage area to store not only our camper, but a friends motor home too. NOW, I am just going to have to figure out how to keep the cats out of it. Thanks for reading!! Dave
Plowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:14 PM   #2

Thank you for your honest review of living full time in your camper. It gives me some things to think about before I take some extended trips. Jim
MrNiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 07:47 AM   #3
Site Team

Just curious, is your RV a TT or a fiver? Does it have any slide-outs? I was just trying to get some idea of how big your rig is. I have a 2000 266 TT (see sig.) with one 14' slide-out. For the DW, the cat and I, it's the perfect size for our needs. We have the capability to sleep up to six if we open the Hide-A-Bed and convert the dinette. but the floor plan is geared more toward use by couple and occasional guests.

In the 2000 Jayco brochure I have, it doesn't list your 242 so I have to assume that model was discontinued in 2000.

Our awning tube is also slightly warped, but it was caused by rain pooling in it rather than snow.

Having units the ages of ours and still in use attest to the durability and reliability of Jayco products.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 04:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPM III View Post
Just curious, is your RV a TT or a fiver? Does it have any slide-outs? I was just trying to get some idea of how big your rig is. I have a 2000 266 TT (see sig.) with one 14' slide-out. For the DW, the cat and I, it's the perfect size for our needs. We have the capability to sleep up to six if we open the Hide-A-Bed and convert the dinette. but the floor plan is geared more toward use by couple and occasional guests.

In the 2000 Jayco brochure I have, it doesn't list your 242 so I have to assume that model was discontinued in 2000.

Our awning tube is also slightly warped, but it was caused by rain pooling in it rather than snow.

Having units the ages of ours and still in use attest to the durability and reliability of Jayco products.
Our 242 is a TT and no slide's. The floor plan is a front kitchen with the dinette on the door side and the door just behind one of the dinette seats. When you walk in, you are basicly looking at the fridge and to the right is the kitchen area, to the left is a living area with a jack-knife couch just to the left of the fridge (running along the outside wall) and a built in tv stand directly across from the couch. There is one full size closet just behind the tv stand and then the bed is behind (on the door side) that closet in the rear corner of the camper. The bathroom has a tub/shower and toilet in its own little room (right next to the bed but on the curb side of the camper) with a small sink and medicine closet just outside of it on the curb side of the camper.

I would agree with the durability and reliability of the Jayco's. Other than a little water damage caused by me not checking and re-caulking the seal around the bathroom vent, and the shower leak on the floor, the camper is still in very nice shape for the year. I think what I like most is that it still has the alumininum/steel roof and not the rubber roof. I can see many more years of life left in this camper.

I have only seen 2 of these campers in person (ours and my inlaws, yes they have the exact same model, only a year older and in nicer shape yet). From what I have found, there is very little info you will find on this model if you google it, so who knows how many Jayco produced, and how many are still in service.
Plowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 08:39 PM   #5

We have a 2012 model 242. It is almost 28' total length with The bed room with queen is in front. Kitchen is in rear with bath and storage creating short hall way between the 2. It has a slide out for a couch plenty long enough for me to sleep on at 6'2". Doors for bedroom and kitchen. Dining across from couch with BIG windows for couch and dining. Warm enough below 30 degrees tha that we had to turn heater down(1500 watt Lasko about 20 inches tall) to 65 at night. We only ran the propane 1 night befor we got the electric heater. Some times we run the electric at 72 while warming up after being out side for a couple of hours. Will sleep 6 but would be crowded. Was very comfortable for us this past spring/summer on 6 1/2 week trip east and maybe 6 more scattered weeks closer to home. We had a blast and were happy with our set up as we had lots of room for storing clothes including 3 sets of cold and hot weather running outfits for each of us. We have been in it with temperatures as low as 18 and over 100. The set up has been great for for us but not good for someone with kids except maybe for week enders. We are still happy campers after a little over a year with it.

Johnie and Brenda
Central Illinois
2012 Ram 1500 crew cab 5.7
2012 Jayco 242
jmactootall is offline   Reply With Quote