Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-23-2020, 12:41 AM   #1

30amp fuse sparks

I have an electrical issue on 2021 154BH.

Everything works on using 110v even AC and all the lights.

But when I plugged it off, everything doesn’t work which should work on 12v DC like interior lights.

I searched up and found two fuses blown up.

One 15A for refrigerator and furnace, one 30A fuse, so I changed 15A, it was ok, but when I change 30A fuse, it sparks, and the 15A I just changed blown again. I noticed the furnace may be turned on, so I turned it off, and changed 15A again, but changing 30A still sparks.

Do I need to do anything before changing the fuse? Like disconnect the battery? If I need to disconnect the battery, is it ok I just disconnect The negative wire and change the fuse?

The other things is about brakeaway switch. Is the brakeaway switch not supposed to work if one of the fuse is blown? I checked the brakeaway switch wire with clamp multimeter, but nothing comes up.

Please help! Thank you!
calace1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 08:13 AM   #2

If the fuse is sparking and then blows instantly, you have a direct short someplace on the circuit. The breakaway switch is not fused and runs direct to the battery.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 10:29 AM   #3

@Marcm157 Thanks for the reply, so what can I do? Do I need to change all fuses? Or does it mean something is still turned on so I need to find and turn them off?
Old 08-23-2020, 10:38 AM   #4

The second time you changed the 15a after you turned your furnace off did it blow the fuse again?
Old 08-23-2020, 10:48 AM   #5

@Marcm157 No, I see the placing 30a fuse is sparking but 2nd 15a fuse is not blown out after I turned off the furnace
Old 08-23-2020, 10:59 AM   #6

Does it show the 30amp as being the main fuse? If so you’ll get some spark plunging it back in if everything it’s feeding is not turned off. If not what does it feed? On the 15 amp I think you found your problem something with the furnace.
Old 08-23-2020, 11:18 AM   #7

For 30a, it says it’s charge line, slideout motor. I didn’t plug 30a power to 110v, and I don’t have slideout motor..
Old 08-23-2020, 01:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaycoMLOK View Post
Does it show the 30amp as being the main fuse? If so you’ll get some spark plunging it back in if everything it’s feeding is not turned off. If not what does it feed? On the 15 amp I think you found your problem something with the furnace.
The 30A fuse in my 2019 154BH is the main fuse, and does spark when I remove or insert it, but it doesn't fail. I once had no 12V power after I hooked up my battery while preparing for a trip (I store the battery in my garage on a trickle charger, and only place it on the trailer when I'm preparing to take it out), and removing, then reinserting, the 30A fuse solved the issue for me - lights started working. Only had this issue once, though I have occasionally had to replace a fuse or two.
AnacortesArmyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 01:15 PM   #9

@AnacortesArmyGuy So I assume, I should plug 30a fuse in even it does spark? I just ignore and push it in? No need to disconnect the battery? Thank you!
Old 08-23-2020, 01:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by calace1111 View Post
@AnacortesArmyGuy So I assume, I should plug 30a fuse in even it does spark? I just ignore and push it in? No need to disconnect the battery? Thank you!
That's what I did, but you could disconnect the battery first, but when hooking up the battery it's going to spark too. If you haven't yet done so, you should pickup some spare fuses, and if memory serves me right (no guarantee of that) we're talking about 15/20/30A fuses.
Old 08-23-2020, 08:21 PM   #11

Ok, so I tried to be calm and put 30a fuse in with a few sparks. That was ok indeed, once I put 30a fuse in, 30a fuse was not blown out, but the other 15a fuse is blown out which was blown out already 2 times. That is for refrigerator and furnace. I checked furnace is turned off and as well as refrigerator. I tried to replace 15a fuse again and it’s sparking, so I stopped. What would be the problem and how can I fix it?
Old 08-23-2020, 09:28 PM   #12

Sounds like you have a short in the wiring somewhere. The circuit should be traced to find the source of the short. Might be best to contact a professional electrician. He/she would know better how to test your circuits. My 2¢.

2018 Jayco White Hawk 31BH 34'
2004 Surveyor by Forest River 29'
1996 Coachman Catalina 25'
2002 Jayco 12UTD PopUp
TrashMan Videos
sturgissteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 12:10 AM   #13

Quote:
Ok, so I tried to be calm and put 30a fuse in with a few sparks. That was ok indeed, once I put 30a fuse in, 30a fuse was not blown out, but the other 15a fuse is blown out which was blown out already 2 times. That is for refrigerator and furnace. I checked furnace is turned off and as well as refrigerator. I tried to replace 15a fuse again and it’s sparking, so I stopped. What would be the problem and how can I fix it?
I've not encountered that specific issue. I think it's time to take it to your servicing dealership, though many are backlogged In the service department, the service manager Or a technician might be able to give you an idea as to what the problem is if they can't get to your trailer quick enough.
Old 08-24-2020, 06:17 AM   #14

Quote:
I have an electrical issue on 2021 154BH.

Everything works on using 110v even AC and all the lights.

But when I plugged it off, everything doesn’t work which should work on 12v DC like interior lights.

I searched up and found two fuses blown up.

One 15A for refrigerator and furnace, one 30A fuse, so I changed 15A, it was ok, but when I change 30A fuse, it sparks, and the 15A I just changed blown again. I noticed the furnace may be turned on, so I turned it off, and changed 15A again, but changing 30A still sparks.

Do I need to do anything before changing the fuse? Like disconnect the battery? If I need to disconnect the battery, is it ok I just disconnect The negative wire and change the fuse?

The other things is about brakeaway switch. Is the brakeaway switch not supposed to work if one of the fuse is blown? I checked the brakeaway switch wire with clamp multimeter, but nothing comes up.

Please help! Thank you!
The 15 amp fuse for the fridge and furnace is for the 12 volt control circuit of these units. It is also for the control of the WH. I'm guessing the 30 is for the furnace although I think someone has installed a larger fuse than is required. You need to match up the fuse size with the wire size. #30 amp is for #10 wire, 20 amp is for #12 wire. 15 amp is for #14 wire. TURN off the furnace. replace all fuses with proper size.

Turn off the Converter while you are changing the fuses. it is a battery charger and is powering all the fuses. Turn off the breaker to it or unplug for shore power. Lights are 12 volts.

Furnace should be on no bigger than a 20 amp fuse.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 10:18 AM   #15

Before you take it in start looking at the simple problems that are an easy fix. I would take shut off the power AC and battery. Then start looking with a strong light and your fingers for every place a wire could have touched metal and broken or worn through. Number one would be in the converter where all the wires terminate. Check every twist nut and make sure they are tight. Look for signs of sparking or heated plastic wire near a connection or when it goes through a wall. Take off the thermostat and check where it comes through the wall. Open every place you can see wires and check. While you are doing it see if you can access the furnace sail switch and furnace connections without a chain saw.

If you find the bad spot on a wire then make sure you either replace the wire if it is cut through or cover the worn through spot in tape. Also, if it is riding on a sharp hole in a metal wall pad that with tape or a something that will prevent it in the future. While you are in the converter check all connections are tight and clean. My ground wire to the board was loose and they had just stuck it in the panel without tightening the screw. Worked till after the warranty was out so I guess that was good enough for Jayco.

When you find it post a picture!
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 10:44 AM   #16

I had one on my slide that took a couple hours of searching and disassembly to find. One of the control wires was pinched under the wall and chafed through two months after the warranty period. It was shorted , fortunately it was the extend control and I was able to move the camper.
Jim Davis is offline   Reply With Quote