Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-06-2017, 09:03 PM   #1

32bhds too much trailer?

No way...we love it. Just not enough truck. Even though the mighty 5.3 in 2014 silverado z71 is noticeably better than previous versions, this trailer is huge. Pulling hills no problem ( took the suches pass to Blue Ridge few weeks ago), stopping no problem the GM built in brake controller works better than aftermarket I have had in past. If i could go everywhere we would like to at less than 55 we would be fine, however this is not ideal. I am definately upgrading the tv for my family's safety and to not be a hazard to others trying to traverse ATL at only 50mph on I 85.
Diesel is in the cards should I just go all in on the dually?
Forsyth1933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 09:33 PM   #2
dee

Yeah, you need more truck lol. I would only consider a finally if you think you are likely to go to a 5th wheel in the future that needs more payload. Otherwise, 2500 diesel is good. Mine is rated to 17k ish.You could also look at a 3500 single wheel that can handle heavier loads, but not what a dually can.
Old 10-06-2017, 09:54 PM   #3

Yes the classic i bought the truck july first the trailer aug 1st. So all the vets can laugh ( go ahead im shaking my head at myself) and others cam be forewarned. I really like the truck even being a huge blue oval fan, but we love the camper and will go on. It seems like it is wind not the weight causing issue. I am concerned dingle wheel will still feel this. The cost difference is not huge to go dual, but will i just also then have too much truck?

Looking for all input opinions, experience with either or both.

Also feel free to laugh at me for putting myself in this. Also feel free to offer condolences for doi ng this it wil clearly hurt the wallet. Doh.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:01 PM   #4

Thanks for tbe reply Dee. Do you pull a large rig comfortably?
Old 10-06-2017, 10:36 PM   #5

Hi forsyth1933, As you can see from my signature I have a 32bhds with a 3/4 ton diesel single rear wheel tv. Yeah I couldn't imagine doing it within limits and safely with a 1/2 ton.

I am quite happy with my rig's handling overall. The wind can be felt for sure when it gets pretty gusty though. I drive through the town of Mojave quite often and their is an enormous wind turbine farm out there. I have had a few white-knuckle runs out there and do try to time, the time of day, as to avoid the peak wind in the afternoons. I'm positive that a dual rear wheel setup would be more stable. I also use the Husky TS weight distribution/anti-sway setup and I do think that it does a very good job.

Having said all this I am not thinking of changing my tv to go with a drw. I love my old classic srw 2500 and it serves us very well.

Good luck on your decision but please think about safety.

Jeff

2017 Jay Flight 32BHDS
2006 GMC 2500HD Classic CC SB 4x4 6.6L Duramax/Allison
Vasquez Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 11:06 PM   #6

Thanks Jeff great insight. I use the e-2 wdh anti sway and will keep it. DRW seems like the best option.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:15 PM   #7

Diesel is in the cards should I just go all in on the dually?

IMO, unless you're thinking of moving up to a larger 5th wheel, a single rear wheel would be fine. I've towed all kinds of large and small TT and small to medium 5th wheels and my single rear wheel (3.73 axle ratio) has been fine.

For TT, I've had no sway issues with my Equalizer 4-point hitch and load range E tires on my truck.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 11:26 PM   #8

32bhds too much trailer?

I made the same mistake and got an 2016 F150 in Dec of 2015 then bought a 28 ft trailer in May. It was borderline ok. Truck did ok. I just couldnít get comfortable towing.

Just got a ram 2500 cummins and itís a night and day difference. Canít hardly feel it now. Iím not just saying that either. I traded a lariat trim F150 to a tradesman 2500 ram cummins. I donít miss my gadgets at all and am happy knowing I spent the money on capability.

By doing a trade down on trims and up on capability it was literally a wash. I loss $3k for a year and half and 30k miles on the ford.

Do it. Your family safety is number one. Itís exactly why I did it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nighthawk87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 04:48 AM   #9

If looking at a 3/4 diesel, be careful of the payload numbers - the weight of the engine eats it up pretty quickly. My 2500 CTD only had 2200 lbs.

From experience, pay the extra $1000 and go with a 1 Ton vs. 3/4 Ton and never have to think about TV again, unless of course you go with something massive. I also found that the ride in my 3500 is better than the 2500.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 05:03 AM   #10

Congrats on an awesome model!!! The 32 has some very hard to beat features.

As for your tv trauma, not really sure you need a dually. As mentioned, do you see a large 5r in the future? I bet you can see what will happen.... "Honey, we do have the dually now... What do you think about just looking at a 5r????" A week later you're posting "We bought a 5r!!!" Lol You would probably gain a little more if you decide to go with an 8' bed vs the 6.5' bed. The slightly longer wheelbase would be a little more stable.

One thing you may consider is looking at a 3500/350 SRW vs the 2500/250. Not much of a price difference, but has a little more payload, which is a good thing if you go with the diesel motor vs the gasser. The heavy diesel motor does eat a little more of the payload.

One thing I would HIGHLY suggest is to invest in a better wdh. I would suggest this after a visit to the CAT Scales to see just how much your rig weighs. Follow my signature link for the CAT Scale how to if needed. I know we all pack different, but even if you have the 1200lb rated wd bars (tw), you may be at or over the rating of the bars. If you have the 1000lb rated bars, I don't see how they are even close to being enough. BUT, as I mentioned, we do all pack diffferent.... I do usually suggest going with at least 1400/1500lb rated wd bars. It is amazing just how much you can pack in the front pass through, plus if you haul water that adds a lot to the tw. With only about 20g of water in the fresh tank, our tw is ~1440lbs with three bikes on the rear bike rack. Not sure just how much the bikes and rack change the tw. I didn't have much time to pull the bikes and reweigh. Plus removing them and keeping them from walking away while back on the scales.

The Equal-I-Zer 4 way system with 1400lb bars, the Reese Dual Cam or Sc system with 1500lb bats or 1700lb bars (DC only) are all very good models. The Equal-I-Zer is still made in the US. But the Reese hitch head (trunnion model) does offer a little more fine tuning for the hitch head angle vs the Equal-I-Zer hitch head. Changing the Eq system by a washer is about the same as moving the trailer tongue bracket up or down a hole (respectively). The Reese uses a square washer with teeth on it. Moving the washer 2 teeth is about the same as changing which chain link you hook not he tongue bracket by one link. So changing one tooth is about 1/2 a chain link, transferring a little less (or more) weight back to the tv front axle.

Do consider buying a 2.5" shank for the wdh. That way you don't need to use the adapter sleeve, which gives more slop with he 2" shank between the receiver hitch and shank vs the 2.5" shank.

Any of the Big 3 2500/250+ trucks will do the job. If you do stay with the gas motor, get the best gearing available. 4.10's for the GM twins and the Ram (unless it has recently changed), and 4.30's (I think it is) for the Ford. Just go drive them all, and see which you like the best and which one you feel is the best value for the money.

Good luck deciding which truck!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 05:38 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post

One thing you may consider is looking at a 3500/350 SRW vs the 2500/250. Not much of a price difference, but has a little more payload, which is a good thing if you go with the diesel motor vs the gasser. The heavy diesel motor does eat a little more of the payload.

Any of the Big 3 2500/250+ trucks will do the job. If you do stay with the gas motor, get the best gearing available. 4.10's for the GM twins and the Ram (unless it has recently changed), and 4.30's (I think it is) for the Ford. Just go drive them all, and see which you like the best and which one you feel is the best value for the money.

Good luck deciding which truck!!!

I agree with everything above but just want to add a quick comment. I agree that for the price, a SRW 3500 is an easy choice over a 2500. However, I suggest that the OP checks with their insurance company before they make a final decision. My carrier will insure a 2500 on a regular policy but requires a commercial policy for a 3500 unless there is an RV trailer insured on the same policy. Just a minor thing, but worth checking on before purchase.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 06:19 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
I agree with everything above but just want to add a quick comment. I agree that for the price, a SRW 3500 is an easy choice over a 2500. However, I suggest that the OP checks with their insurance company before they make a final decision. My carrier will insure a 2500 on a regular policy but requires a commercial policy for a 3500 unless there is an RV trailer insured on the same policy. Just a minor thing, but worth checking on before purchase.
Very good point!

And also check to see what the plates are for a 3500/350 vs a 2500/250.

Do know that the difference between a diesel 2500 and 3500 is only the rear spring pack, at least for the GM Twins. The gas 2500 has a smaller rear axle than the diesel 2500 or gas and diesel 3500 truck.

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 08:25 AM   #13
dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsyth1933 View Post
Thanks for tbe reply Dee. Do you pull a large rig comfortably?
I had a 1/2 ton dodge ecodiesel and bought a 28bhbe. I could pull it, but I wasn't that comfortable and was planning a trip to colorado, so I upgraded.

The 2500 easily pulled it, fully loaded, with family of 5 generator, 2 ice chests, and other gear. I don't have to worry.
Old 10-07-2017, 08:28 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelly View Post
If looking at a 3/4 diesel, be careful of the payload numbers - the weight of the engine eats it up pretty quickly. My 2500 CTD only had 2200 lbs.

From experience, pay the extra $1000 and go with a 1 Ton vs. 3/4 Ton and never have to think about TV again, unless of course you go with something massive. I also found that the ride in my 3500 is better than the 2500.
X2, unless your registration shoots thru the roof in your state or there are extra inspections that may impact you for commercial use etc, I'd seriously look at a SRW 350X if you go with diesel. At least look at the payload sticker on both. The Unleaded 250X has much more due to the weigh difference on the engine and the 250X maxing on paper at 10kGVWR. You could go over pretty quick on paper if you load the bed up too much with the trailer.

I went with the 6.4 Hemi Ram, just make way too many short drives daily and use it as my primary vehicle it would not be good on a Diesel long term from everything I researched. Diesel is also noticeably more expensive as we have subsidized ethanol here, enough to make the gain in mileage a wash when not towing or even worse. Only thing I really wish I had is a bigger tank.

While it could definitely have a little more torque at lower RPMs, it does pull and maintain highway speeds OK, have towed in mountains in the SE part of the country and the black hills. Nothing further west (yet).

We seriously looked at the 32BHDS, its a nice unit. Just decided we wanted something under 35' total length for older campgrounds.

ProPride 3P

jsallman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 10:04 AM   #15

Thanks for all the replies. I will have my eyes and ears open as i shop for sure. Payload payload payload lol.
Old 10-07-2017, 10:11 AM   #16
dee

Definitely take a look at your use conditions on the truck when you are not towing. If you find that the majority of trips are less than 15 minutes and you don't drive a lot of miles per year, you might look at gas. I commute 35 miles each way and 45-55 minutes.
Old 10-07-2017, 12:29 PM   #17

Donít know why everyone thinks short trips are ok for gas engines. They are just as bad for them. Not getting up to temp is the reason for condensation in the oil as it doesnít get hot enough to burn off. That happens in both gas and diesel.

nighthawk87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 12:50 PM   #18

If this new truck will tow as its primary use, why not go for the dually? They pull like a dream. Similar to the improvement of the 3/4 over the half tons. Then you are prepared for a fiver if that should become attractive to you. And it's a more stable platform if things go south on the highway.

I will acknowledge that everyday driving with one in the central Colorado Rockies, where it was a common vehicle, was much easier than it is here in Southern California, where even a full-size SUV is a big car.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 12:54 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk87 View Post
Donít know why everyone thinks short trips are ok for gas engines. They are just as bad for them. Not getting up to temp is the reason for condensation in the oil as it doesnít get hot enough to burn off. That happens in both gas and diesel.

The concern is due to the modern diesel emissions systems in a short trip environment, not premature engine wear.
Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 01:30 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk87 View Post
True, but diesels have larger oil sumps, cooling systems, and usually heavier blocks etc. It takes longer to get all that up to temp. Similarly, a 4 cyl gas engine will get up to temp sooner than a big block gas engine.

IMO, folks aren't saying short trips are OK for gas engines, but rather when making vehicle decisions, keep in mind that frequent short trips can be harder on a diesel.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote