Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-08-2018, 07:43 PM   #1

330RSTS Slide / Fairing Question

Hello all, my husband and I are upgrading from a 2009 Montana Mountaineer 32PRD to a new 2018 Jayco Eagle 330RSTS. I have a question about the flashing on the exterior of the trailer when the slides are retracted, and I hope one of y’all can help me out. Here are the photos that I took at the dealer yesterday.

This is the passenger side of the trailer, the slide that includes the dinette and the two recliners. As you can see, when the slide is retracted the trim around the wheelwell does not match up with that on the trailer side, and sticks out. This is concerning to me as it will suck wind right into there, increasing the chances of wind damage. Is this normal for this trailer? The reason this is particularly concerning to me is because I have done three cross-country trips in my current rig, including dealing with October winds in South Dakota, one year which ripped the flashing off the bottom of my trailer. I’m looking to avoid any sort of this weakness that I can on my new one!

This is the driver side of the trailer, the slide that includes the kitchen and entertainment center. The center of the wheelwell trim is bowed out, but this is likely a simple fix of straightening/reattaching the support underneath it.

I’m going to be stopping by the dealer on Friday, and our trade-in and delivery are scheduled for April 21st. I will be asking them to deal with these two items on the exterior, as well as confirm that the slides are sealing properly, as well as adding some tie-downs to the interior (we’re replacing the dinette with a bank of dog crates). If anyone has feedback on these items, or any others I should keep an eye out for, I’d appreciate it. Thanks!
alegria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 09:31 PM   #2

The thickness of the slide keeps it from lining up. Mine's like that to.
Old 04-08-2018, 09:53 PM   #3

Thanks for the response. Have you seen it have any issues with catching the wind in a high-wind situation, or while towing?
alegria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 04:52 AM   #4

Ours is the same way and we have had no Issues .... we love our 330 RSTS !
Jayco 330RSTS Gone
Jayco G2 bunkhouse Gone
herewego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 05:06 AM   #5

It's the same on ours no issues we have had the 2018 330rsts since May 2017. We have been in 30-40MPH head winds. Enjoy it's a fantastic unit.
2015 Silverado 2500
rodro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 09:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegria View Post
. . .
This is the passenger side of the trailer, the slide that includes the dinette and the two recliners. As you can see, when the slide is retracted the trim around the wheelwell does not match up with that on the trailer side, and sticks out. This is concerning to me as it will suck wind right into there, increasing the chances of wind damage. Is this normal for this trailer? . . .
I believe your concern is valid and well-placed. If that opening is facing forward, it's not going to bode well for the trim for the long haul---especially if there's no support bracket where it dips between the two tires. The combined speed of your trailer and any wind (easily 70-90 mph) is going to take advantage of the slightest movment, eventually causing it to fatigue and self-destruct.

Hard to tell in the picture (the pic where the tires are easily visible). Is there any space between the slide's rubber trim and the body of the trailer? If there is, the slide needs to be adjusted in further---especially if this section is facing forward. If it is, water from a rainstorm could easily force itself behind the slide while you're driving at speed.

Every trailer, even the same make and model, is constructed differently from unit to unit. Sometimes there's very little consistency in the way support brackets are installed. It's best go around the entire trailer checking the trim for any excessive movement. Cheap insurance IMO

We have a '18 Jayco Eagle. While driving through 30-35 mph crosswinds on a trip two months ago, we happened to notice the bottom, leading edge of trim on a slide was flapping/vibrating in the wind. Luckily we saw it in time before it self-destructed. Temporarily stabilized it with some heavy duct tape. When we got home I fabricated two additional aluminum support brackets/straps to strengthen, stabilize the trim. It's very rigid with zero movement now.

Good luck!
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 09:47 AM   #7

Hi we have same 330rsts just picked up on 4-2-2018 ours is the same also, we have noticed weak floor right down the middle of it not sure if anyone else has. Also furnace works once then will not kick on for second time. Also they had to order a new board for control panel led lights would not work on outside. We are so hoping we do not have anymore problems. Because to take in for repairs its 3 hours away. Good luck we love the Trailer just will be glad when all fixed...
Charliebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 10:21 AM   #8

In our 16 Eagle 321 RSTS the floor actually separated in the center of the living area. Across from the dinning room table to the stove!May want to keep an eye on your floor!
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 01:07 PM   #9

What did you have to do ? Did jayco fix was it under warranty? Ours seems soft right where you said but also through whole trailer right next to heat duct on door side. Thank you for telling me this....
Charliebob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
330rsts, exterior, slide