Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-16-2014, 11:52 AM   #1

338RETS Eagle Travel Trailer

I have a dilemma about my next RV. Fortunately I have a lot of time before making a decision... years probably. However, I always like to have a game plan well ahead and right now I am torn on which direction to go.

Here's the issue. I have bought a 2013 F350 Long Bed with the thought that I wanted a truck that could easily handle a future 5th Wheel in terms of weight, that would provide good turning capability with a 5th Wheel, and that would give me a large diesel fuel tank for fewer fill ups when traveling.

Currently, I have a 2013 White Hawk 30DSRE and we are very happy with it so far. However, I do wish we had a little more living area space and that the bedroom wasn't quite so tight. I'd also like a RV that has a little higher durability in the interior components.

I had always thought a 5th Wheel was going to be the obvious next move. However, just out of curiosity I have looked at the 338RETS and you know what... it has exactly the features that I wanted. It even has the W/D space which I think would be nice. Also, the trailer is many thousand dollars less than a 5th Wheel, it is lighter weight, it has a lower height clearance, it offers two ACs, and it lets my huge truck bed remain available for hauling stuff. I feel that this travel trailer would actually make the most sense for my next RV.

The only concern... and it is a big concern... is the overall length. My current RV is 34' and this one is 39'. My truck is 22'. I am wondering whether 61' is going to be too much to handle when it comes to maneuvering in various campgrounds.

I feel like I can handle what I have alright and it is pretty long. It is tricky at times but I make it work. Haven't hit anything yet. I wonder whether an additional 5' will feel like barely a difference or if it will be a surprisingly big difference. I would hate to make the switch and find that it is just too long. With a 5th Wheel I would be taking out length even for similar size living space due to the overlap with the truck vs. no overlap and the hitch between.

Anyone with some experience towing at over 60' length have some thoughts on the matter and whether it would be too much? I know that in some states I would be right on the edge of maximum allowed length but I think still within it.
newbold1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 04:10 PM   #2
Lost in the Woods

I tow a 338 rlts with a Tundra with the Roadmaster suspension with no problems. The 338 tows like a dream and is very stable and I don't have any sway to speak of and I don't use the sway bar even though I have one. Previously we had a 33' Springdale and I don't really notice the extra length. That being said, we have had a few issues with the unit being too big for some RV parks/campgrounds. But of course one would have the same issue with a bigger 5er. I don't think you will notice the extra 5' especially pulling it with an F350. Another possible issue is the width with the Super Slides open. The living room is 14' wide so make sure you mention this when reserving a campsite.
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 05:44 PM   #3

... agreeing with wwsmith111. After a certain length you start to limit your available sites. and a lot depends on where you go. 24' feet is long if you stay in the mountains away from the major attractions or many of the NP sites.

If you do fine with a 34' TT, you won't have trouble with 39 footer. You're already a seasoned vet. I'd get the rig I wanted the most. You will make all the adjustments like everyone else
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 05:14 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwsmith111 View Post
I tow a 338 rlts with a Tundra with the Roadmaster suspension with no problems.
The Tundra handles that TT with no problems?

Adk Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 05:17 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwsmith111 View Post
I tow a 338 rlts with a Tundra with the Roadmaster suspension with no problems.
I've never seen a Tundra tow a TT that big but if it tows like you said I'm impressed.

Adk Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 05:31 AM   #6

I have no issues towing mine. 4 season package is awesome. I have the gloss gel coat sides and I had several old time fiver's wanting all the specs at the RV park last outing. Around 6 thousand pounds less weight than my fiver.
I now carry my golf cart or RZR in the bed. Plus two 2000i gen sets. Once cooled down only need one ac to keep cool.
Ustabslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 06:20 AM   #7

WWSIII brings up some good points about finding a large enough campsite in a SP/NP. At 52' overall, I don't have much of a problem finding suitable sites, but I have some trouble backing into them. I've found the narrow, one-way campground roads with brush on both sides present some challenges. Then again, I had trouble backing my old combo (a Ford Ranger and an 18' TT). I'm getting better, but my backing/parking skills still need some honing.

You've already honed that skill with your current set-up, so I don't think you'll have a problem there. A couple of things I can shed some light on are the long-bed's towing stability, and the Eagle TT's quality. My F150 S.Crew w/6.5' bed and my 266RKS is a very stable combo on the road. With the additional weight, stiffer frame/suspension, greater payload capacity of your F350, and your towing experience, you probably won't even notice the extra 5'.

As for the quality of the Eagle TT and it's suitability for long-term living, I couldn't be happier with mine. I love the one-level living! The 7' sidewalls, curved roof, and single slide on mine present a very open, roomy living space - especially in the bedroom. The 338RETS would be ideal for you and the DW . . . plus a whole bunch of grands (if you're blessed with any). But it sounds like you're pretty much convinced of the quality/convenience/livability of the 338; its just some concern with the towing/parking. Perhaps your dealer would be willing to let you "test tow" it.

Good luck with your decision!
Old 10-17-2014, 07:26 AM   #8

i have a 2014 f250 supercab long bed it is 21' long and the 2015 338rets is 39' gives me 60' on the button but if i have my optional bike rack in use it's 63' long. while it is totally cool in michigan to tow this i have been finding out that many states limit the total overall length of a trailer to 40' including the bumpers with a total overall lenght of 60' so i can't use the bike rack in like 2/3 of the states with $2000 fines for going over i have to come up with a way to bring the bikes. i put a golfcart in the bed of the truck maybe squeeze them into the inside of the camper i guess i have included a link so you can check the rules state by state if this link is not clickable then just copy and paste http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/
Rockdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 07:27 AM   #9
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adk Camper View Post
I've never seen a Tundra tow a TT that big but if it tows like you said I'm impressed.
None so far. The Tundra has 3/4 ton running gear it just doesn't have the springs and the Roadmaster suspension takes care of that. 380hp/400ft-lb torque. The towing capacity of the Tundra is 11,000 lbs. I use to tow a 33' Springdale. The 338 is quite a bit bigger and heavier but tow wise the 338 tows much better than the Springdale did as it is more stable and rides better. I just lose a little more speed on the hills because of the weight. I pull it to the North Georgia Mountains quite often and down to Key West. The Tundra doesn't even flinch. At least not yet.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:17 PM   #10

I haven't had any worries about towing at all. My biggest worry has been about backing it in the campground site. Even now there are times I feel like I have zero turning clearance trying to get into a space. I haven't been unable to make it work yet though. Once I did have to back into a pull through because there was no way I could make the sharp curvature with the proximity of the trees on either side. I ended up backing the trailer, unhitching, and then parking the truck behind the trailer. I am sure that looked odd to everyone going by but that was the only way to force it to fit. LOL

I'm sure everyone is right. A couple months and it will be as if it was the trailer I always had. It's going to be a while before we will be making a trade so I will continue to get a lot more practice with the White Hawk before that time comes.
newbold1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 08:14 AM   #11

You will notice some difference in some of the older tighter campgrounds some will barely fit a 33 ft must less a forty footer. I went from a 33 to a 40 pinnacle at the same time went to a long box dually 350 . What a change for me , the long box takes a football field to turn around in . Would I do it over again "yes " we just ask and make sure the sites are decent when we call .
Clayton4971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 08:26 AM   #12

The 338RLTS is the best pulling trailer I have ever pulled. It's about the size of the average NYC apartment and we have had zero problems finding sites so far with one year of camping in this amazing TT.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 01:32 PM   #13
Lost in the Woods

X2, my 338 pulls better than my old 30' Springdale. Very stable. My only complaint is I wish the toilet wasn't stuck out in the hallway. Or at least it feels that way.
Old 10-26-2014, 06:31 AM   #14

i was worried too when i got mine ... i had a 32 tt before but i am pleasently surprised at the backing of this trailer it backs like a dream and has a great pivot point ....pulls great doesnt feel any heavier and i have a crew cab dually with eight foot bed so i say go for the 338
Paintinfool3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 10:59 AM   #15

I can appreciate your concern about the extra 5 feet in length. I went from a 27' to the 39' and I was a little concerned but discovered that I had almost no extra trouble. Just expected that it was longer and took appropriate care in planning for turns, parking ect. All went well until the last trip of the season when on the way home I stopped for gas. I pulled in a little to close to the pumps allowing for cars that desperately must drive between 2 pumping cars. My problem came when leaving, I pulled forward as far as I could and I was being careful watching the inside of the turn to be sure I was clearing everything and during the turn the back outer edge clipped the extended concrete island of the gas pump. Damaging the back most lower trim panel and crimping the bumper quite a bit. No worries the concrete was just fine. This Spring I'll try to figure out what I can repair.

'12 F250 Ford Super Crew
'15 Jayco Eagle 338RETS
thodgson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 11:31 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockdaddy View Post
i have a 2014 f250 supercab long bed it is 21' long and the 2015 338rets is 39' gives me 60' on the button but if i have my optional bike rack in use it's 63' long. while it is totally cool in michigan to tow this i have been finding out that many states limit the total overall length of a trailer to 40' including the bumpers with a total overall lenght of 60' so i can't use the bike rack in like 2/3 of the states with $2000 fines for going over i have to come up with a way to bring the bikes.
Sorry to hijack your 338RETS thread, but I just had to mention this to Rockdaddy ... I havent done it yet, but I always wanted to put a front receiver on my TV, that way I could put my receiver mounted bike rack in the front when pulling my trailer. I also figured when things get real dicey backing one of my trailers I could possibly push into a spot rather than back into it ... to me the turns, although I'm getting better at it, seem much more intuitive pushing as opposed to backing.

see http://www.etrailer.com/fmr-2014_For...Super+Duty.htm

Now back to the purpose of this thread ... I just got the 338 in January, but do not yet have a TV, and honestly I've been concerned about pulling this behemoth. I've enjoyed reading this thread, it's actually starting to give me the feeling that I can pull this thing (of course after I get a 3/4 ton truck, I don't think my V6 Nissan Frontier will even survive looking at this!!).
gratefulbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 06:21 PM   #17

Sorry to hear that thodgson .. the biggest thing i worry about when going in to a fulling station is the way they have most of the pumps configured ... some easy in .. not so easy out and with the amount of tail swing in tight places it gets a little dicy ... i know i have even been in tight situations with my car hauler and it is only about 27 foot . ..been lucky so far havent pulled the camper farther than my tanks would get me but in april i am going on a trip from fort wayne in to pigeon forge tenn and i dont think my 2 tanks will get me that far.... biting my nails lol
Old 02-11-2015, 06:46 PM   #18

I carry 2 5gal cans of diesel and that gives me enough range for a single day and I fill up after unhooking.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 06:53 PM   #19

Well i would just use the semi pumps but the come out way too fast lol
Old 02-16-2015, 09:43 AM   #20

Just a note but the 338 turns a little tighter than a 29'.

The sad part is I knew that and since I was paying attention to some stuff on the right side I forgot to look at the left side.

DKRITTER is offline   Reply With Quote