Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-12-2018, 08:21 AM   #1

33RBTS Fresh Water Drain

I did a quick search and just wanted to confirm before I assumed I was okay, is the fresh water drain and the low point drains one in the same? I filled our fresh water tank on our first trip out just to make sure everything worked on our maiden voyage. I opened the 2 low point drains just below my outdoor kitchen before we left and they drained heavily for quite some time. I left them open on the drive home just to be sure it completely emptied as it was still calling for freezing temps after taking it back for our inaugural trip in March. I have not since added water to my fresh water tank. On our last trip, the fresh water tank indicator stated the tank was still full. I know these indicators are prone to show inaccurate information as I am pretty sure my fresh water tank is empty.

I didn't attempt to disconnect the city water connection and turn on my water pump to see if water still flowed, but I just wanted to make sure I haven't missed anything. I have multiple times investigated my various underside connections and drains and I don't see anything marked fresh water drain only the 2 low point drains. I just want to make sure I am not dragging around a bunch of extra weight as my trailer did seem to pull differently the last time out.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:44 AM   #2

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you are likely dragging around a bunch of water.

The sensors typically work pretty well on Fresh water tanks, as there shouldn't ever be anything in there to create a false reading. It's when "other" things are introduced to the tank that hang on to the sensors and begin to give those false readings that give the sensors their bad rap. Nuff said. lol

I've no idea if your low point drain for your fresh water tank is like mine or not, but mine is a spigot much like on a coffee or tea dispenser and must be turned 1/4 turn to open the drain. It's also white in color. It's location is OUTSIDE of the frame rails and NOT protruding through the black chloroplast lining on the bottom of the rig. There is a "Low Point Drain" sticker on the side of rig not far from the drain to help find it.

My low point drains for the hot/cold water are push/pull type valves (accessed at floor level) and have a nipple extending out past the black chloroplast lining on the bottom of the rig with red/blue Pex nipples. These are NOT meant to be used to drain the fresh water tank but simply the hot/cold lines in the rig. Again, there is a "Low Point Drain" sticker for these too.

Sounds like you'll need to have another look under your unit to find your fresh water drain.
AUH #3220
White Ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 10:13 AM   #3

My trailer is small and probably quite different, but I only have two pipe valve drains. One is the low point drain (for plumbing) and one is the freshwater tank drain (for freshwater tank). Others may be different.
Merrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 01:25 PM   #4

I opened both drains that were labeled low point drain. Both had white handles as you describe and were outside the frame rail. Both drained considerable amounts of water for a long period of time (>20 mins). The hot/cold water drain valves are both up just below my water heater and I open those too while I drain the water heater by removing the drain plug. Those are the only 4 drains I see on my trailer. I don't see anything protruding from the underbelly and all of the handles, drains, etc. are all well marked and labeled as my trailer is brand new. I don't know how I could have missed it, but like you said, I thought it odd that the level gauge would already be malfunctioning on a new unit especially the one for the fresh water level.
Old 06-12-2018, 01:43 PM   #5

Sounds to me like you did find the fresh water tank drain valves....

Out of curiosity, have you had it connected to city water AFTER draining it?

I found out that if you leave one of the valves near the water pump (under the bottom rear bunk in my case) in the wrong position, it will fill the fresh water tank with city water. I somehow managed to miss this valve setting and filled my fresh water tank without even knowing it.

Open your White valves again and see if you again get water to drain. If so, you somehow managed to re-fill it after draining it.
AUH #3220
White Ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 01:48 PM   #6

I have had it out on 2 outings since the first one and did hook to the city connection. When I was last out and noticed the gauge reading full I opened the valves again (although I am not sure if I actually shut them from the first trip as there is nothing to indicate what is opened and what is closed). Regardless no water came out of them when moving the valve from one position to the other. Is that really a thing that you can back fill the fresh water tank from the city water connection? I thought I read that in a post somewhere that some backfill valve failed or something along those lines. That is why I opened them again to see if it indeed had water in them. Nothing came out.
Old 07-03-2019, 09:05 PM   #7

On my 2018 33RBTS the tank drains have white valves and both are located under the outside kitchen door. The system low point drains have black valves and are underneath the water heater just ahead of the entry door. The city water connection should not fill your tanks.
Badamache is offline   Reply With Quote