Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-20-2016, 09:28 AM   #11

That's absurd, unless the campground is beautiful, I wouldn't go. Most places we go to are for 2 adults and up to 2 or 3 children. Our favorite campground around us is on a lake. You pay for the campsite... that's it. We camp with our family (2 adults, 2 kids) and often invite friends to tent camp on our site with us. We've never been charged extra. Of course we are paying a premium for lake front sites, but nobody has ever hassled us about paying extra for more than 4 people.

spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 09:39 AM   #12

Pretty common in my neck of the woods for base charges to include 2 adults only. Any additional person(s) 6 years of age or older incurs an additional charge ($6 per seems common). Honestly, I see no problem with it. Why should couples pay the same rate as families? And yes, I have kids and they travel with us so I am not anti-family. More people per site = more water, more electric, more sewer, more use of the pool and other facilities. All of these items carry an expense to the campground. Ultimately, these costs need to be passed along and an additional person charge seems to be a fair way to do it. Would anyone be complaining if the published rate included kids and a discount was given for couples? My guess is no, yet the end result is the same.

May the Mods grant me the serenity to accept the opinions of those I cannot change,
the courage to offer valid input to those who are open to another way of thinking,
and the wisdom to shut myself down whenever I get too in love with my own misconceived brilliance.
SparkDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 10:16 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
In Texas state parks kids under 13 are free.
True but Texas parks also charge $6 per person [over 12] per day. Didn't understand how this worked until we reuped for a couple additional nights and actually looked at the receipt. We purchased an annual pass for $70 that waves the "daily use fee" for all in your vehicle. Paid for itself at the next CG but wasted about that much before we popped for the pass. My fault for not paying attention, but I thought the use fee was a one time thing per stay at a park. Wrong!!

Loved the Texas state parks, but the daily use fee on a per person basis is ridiculous when you are already paying for camping. If you camp in Tex state parks, buy the pass. It also gets you discounts at other state park locations and purchases at state park stores.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 10:58 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
Our kids don't use much more by way of water or electricity. But a family of 5-6 certainly has a larger impact of the facilty than a couple. We take up 2-3 times the space on the lake shore, 2-3 times the spots at the CG activities -- should I not pay for that?
Nope. Camping is a family activity. If it's an Over 55 facility, fine. I'd be okay with a $25/kid charge. Otherwise, space on the lake shore???
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 06:34 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
There is one CG that charges and extra $5/night per person beyond 4. As a family of 5 who always has 1 extra with us we just suck it up a pay it. The CG is awesome; we spend a week a year there so for $70 year I am not going to let it ruin our vacation. If they just raised the rate from $50-$60/night we would still go, but at that point it start to looks like a gouge to camping couples or singles.

Our kids don't use much more by way of water or electricity. But a family of 5-6 certainly has a larger impact of the facilty than a couple. We take up 2-3 times the space on the lake shore, 2-3 times the spots at the CG activities -- should I not pay for that?

I agree with clubhouse. We are a family of 5. A few campgrounds we have stayed at charge a small amount for more than 4 people. We stay at nice campgrounds and the total cost in my opinion is very reasonable. We use the bath houses, we make trash, kids swim and play on the playgrounds. Even Ft Wilderness was a good deal to me...
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 06:50 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
Nope. Camping is a family activity. If it's an Over 55 facility, fine. I'd be okay with a $25/kid charge. Otherwise, space on the lake shore???
Not to insult you but define Family. It could be just the couple or maybe the couple and 10 children or anything in-between.

Just my opinion about this topic. Check the rates before making reservations and if you don't like them then find another campground that you do like the rates. But from what I am reading Rates are very different across the country. And vary from one campground to another.
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 08:39 PM   #17

My pappy always said "if you want to play, you gotta' pay".

Campgrounds usually base their basic charge on 2 persons and then charge per person over that. State parks usually don't but they don't have to show a profit at the end of the year and they get taxpayer support. Private campgrounds don't have tax revenue to pay the bills.

Campgrounds are a business. Most businesses charge extra for additional people and additional services. Nothing unusual about it.

Camping may be a family activity but so is going to Walt Disney World. You can bet they charge for extra persons. Movies are a family activity but they charge by the person too. Not real sure what the comment regarding camping being a "family activity" was supposed to be about.

And if you think your little kiddies don't cause any extra expense for the campground owner then you have never actually worked at a campground. Couple of kids cause more campground maintenance than a dozen adults.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 08:56 PM   #18

This is where I stayed all days last week

Loveland RV Resort - Resort Rates
pawntan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 09:10 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawntan View Post
This is where I stayed all days last week

Loveland RV Resort - Resort Rates
Found their rates interesting

*All-inclusive daily and weekly rates include electricity, 2 people, 1 RV, 1 vehicle, and 2 pets.
Fees will be assessed for additional persons 4 years and older, vehicles, and pets.

I wonder what the consider "Family"

2 pets free kids get charged.

Do they charge if the kids are on a leash?
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 09:47 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedrck46 View Post
Found their rates interesting

*All-inclusive daily and weekly rates include electricity, 2 people, 1 RV, 1 vehicle, and 2 pets.
Fees will be assessed for additional persons 4 years and older, vehicles, and pets.

I wonder what the consider "Family"

2 pets free kids get charged.

Do they charge if the kids are on a leash?
Ha yes. at least my kid can use the RV toilet

pawntan is offline   Reply With Quote