Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-19-2016, 07:53 PM   #1

$5 extra charge for 10 years old

I am not sure why having a child coming to RV park incurs $5 extra charge usually.
The child does not take extra park space, other than probably more water for shower only one time daily. What makes most park think that child should be $5 more ?
We only have one child so $5 more does not feel too much, but If you are a family of 3 or 4 little children, your daily RV park cost is $15-$20 more , and that is per day charge.
It makes it less appealing for large young family to live RV lifestyle on vacation , I think.
pawntan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 08:28 PM   #2
Site Team

Yea I also have a problem with this charge. Our favorite local CG started this a few years ago. There cost is already 37$ a night so for us with 2 kids where at 47$ per night. We have all but completely quit camping there now. Now we drive an extra 4 hours to a campground that is still a FAMILY CG.

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
WVDusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 08:57 PM   #3

I have never heard of this before. Is it a regional thing? With 4 kids I would be making a stink or not camping there! Obviously they don't want to appeal to families.

Previous TV: 2004 Ford Exedition w/ heavy duty tow package[/COLOR]
Country_Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 09:13 PM   #4

My .02 cents, just trying to get more money. To me it is a crock
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 09:15 PM   #5

There is one CG that charges and extra $5/night per person beyond 4. As a family of 5 who always has 1 extra with us we just suck it up a pay it. The CG is awesome; we spend a week a year there so for $70 year I am not going to let it ruin our vacation. If they just raised the rate from $50-$60/night we would still go, but at that point it start to looks like a gouge to camping couples or singles.

Our kids don't use much more by way of water or electricity. But a family of 5-6 certainly has a larger impact of the facilty than a couple. We take up 2-3 times the space on the lake shore, 2-3 times the spots at the CG activities -- should I not pay for that?
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 11:17 PM   #6

I would tell that park to take a hike, take my business elsewhere, and I don't even have children! I have never heard of such a thing at an RV park. I guess I could understand it if it were a retiree or adult RV park, but that is about it. I have heard of charging more for extra cars (don't really like that either), but I guess I could understand it.

Please feel free to post the name of the park, I am sure many would like to know.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 05:35 AM   #7
Site Team

Many of the private parks here have per person charges over 4 people and some even over 2 people. They also charge higher rates during major holidays. They are in business to make money,so its all about the Benjamins..... Another reason I like the state parks, up to 6 people per site, rates the same year round.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 06:57 AM   #8

Try staying at Cajun Palms in Louisiana. A large family will be broke before they get set up.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 07:02 AM   #9

In Texas state parks kids under 13 are free.

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 08:19 AM   #10

From some of the campgrounds in Lancaster County PA

• Rates are based upon 1 unit per site. Additional tent or unit on site must pay an additional site fee.
• Rates are based upon 2 adults (18 years or older) and 2 children (ages 3-17) per site.
• Additional adults are $5.00 per night and additional children are $3.00 per night.

2016 Rate Schedule
  • $44/day for two persons. Rate includes 30 amp. electric hookup.
  • $48/day for two persons. Rate includes 50 amp. electric hookup.
  • Sites with sewer hookup are only for units requiring it.
  • No charge for children 1-8 years old.
  • $3/day for each additional person 9 through 17 years old.
  • $6/day for each additional person 18 through 61 years old.
  • $5/day for each additional person 62 and older.
  • $3/hour for early arrivals or late departures if the site is available
All rates are based on 2 adults, 2 children per site
RV Sites: $45/night (water, sewer, electric, cable, wireless Internet, trash, fire ring and picnic table)

Rates are based on 2 persons per site. Each child (ages 3-17) $4 nightly, $24 weekly, $50 monthly.
Additional adult (age 18 & older) $7 nightly, $42 weekly, $150 monthly

Also the campground that I go to the rates are based on 4 people on a site over that and there is an additional charge per person. \

Most campgrounds in this area do have a extra charge for each additional person. Some campgrounds are based on 2 people and some are based on 4 people on a site.
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 08:28 AM   #11

That's absurd, unless the campground is beautiful, I wouldn't go. Most places we go to are for 2 adults and up to 2 or 3 children. Our favorite campground around us is on a lake. You pay for the campsite... that's it. We camp with our family (2 adults, 2 kids) and often invite friends to tent camp on our site with us. We've never been charged extra. Of course we are paying a premium for lake front sites, but nobody has ever hassled us about paying extra for more than 4 people.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 08:39 AM   #12

Pretty common in my neck of the woods for base charges to include 2 adults only. Any additional person(s) 6 years of age or older incurs an additional charge ($6 per seems common). Honestly, I see no problem with it. Why should couples pay the same rate as families? And yes, I have kids and they travel with us so I am not anti-family. More people per site = more water, more electric, more sewer, more use of the pool and other facilities. All of these items carry an expense to the campground. Ultimately, these costs need to be passed along and an additional person charge seems to be a fair way to do it. Would anyone be complaining if the published rate included kids and a discount was given for couples? My guess is no, yet the end result is the same.

May the Mods grant me the serenity to accept the opinions of those I cannot change,
the courage to offer valid input to those who are open to another way of thinking,
and the wisdom to shut myself down whenever I get too in love with my own misconceived brilliance.
SparkDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 09:16 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
In Texas state parks kids under 13 are free.
True but Texas parks also charge $6 per person [over 12] per day. Didn't understand how this worked until we reuped for a couple additional nights and actually looked at the receipt. We purchased an annual pass for $70 that waves the "daily use fee" for all in your vehicle. Paid for itself at the next CG but wasted about that much before we popped for the pass. My fault for not paying attention, but I thought the use fee was a one time thing per stay at a park. Wrong!!

Loved the Texas state parks, but the daily use fee on a per person basis is ridiculous when you are already paying for camping. If you camp in Tex state parks, buy the pass. It also gets you discounts at other state park locations and purchases at state park stores.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 09:58 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
Our kids don't use much more by way of water or electricity. But a family of 5-6 certainly has a larger impact of the facilty than a couple. We take up 2-3 times the space on the lake shore, 2-3 times the spots at the CG activities -- should I not pay for that?
Nope. Camping is a family activity. If it's an Over 55 facility, fine. I'd be okay with a $25/kid charge. Otherwise, space on the lake shore???
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 05:34 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
There is one CG that charges and extra $5/night per person beyond 4. As a family of 5 who always has 1 extra with us we just suck it up a pay it. The CG is awesome; we spend a week a year there so for $70 year I am not going to let it ruin our vacation. If they just raised the rate from $50-$60/night we would still go, but at that point it start to looks like a gouge to camping couples or singles.

I agree with clubhouse. We are a family of 5. A few campgrounds we have stayed at charge a small amount for more than 4 people. We stay at nice campgrounds and the total cost in my opinion is very reasonable. We use the bath houses, we make trash, kids swim and play on the playgrounds. Even Ft Wilderness was a good deal to me...
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 05:50 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
Nope. Camping is a family activity. If it's an Over 55 facility, fine. I'd be okay with a $25/kid charge. Otherwise, space on the lake shore???
Not to insult you but define Family. It could be just the couple or maybe the couple and 10 children or anything in-between.

Just my opinion about this topic. Check the rates before making reservations and if you don't like them then find another campground that you do like the rates. But from what I am reading Rates are very different across the country. And vary from one campground to another.
Old 03-20-2016, 07:39 PM   #17

My pappy always said "if you want to play, you gotta' pay".

Campgrounds usually base their basic charge on 2 persons and then charge per person over that. State parks usually don't but they don't have to show a profit at the end of the year and they get taxpayer support. Private campgrounds don't have tax revenue to pay the bills.

Campgrounds are a business. Most businesses charge extra for additional people and additional services. Nothing unusual about it.

Camping may be a family activity but so is going to Walt Disney World. You can bet they charge for extra persons. Movies are a family activity but they charge by the person too. Not real sure what the comment regarding camping being a "family activity" was supposed to be about.

And if you think your little kiddies don't cause any extra expense for the campground owner then you have never actually worked at a campground. Couple of kids cause more campground maintenance than a dozen adults.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 07:56 PM   #18

This is where I stayed all days last week

Loveland RV Resort - Resort Rates
Old 03-20-2016, 08:10 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawntan View Post
This is where I stayed all days last week

Loveland RV Resort - Resort Rates
Found their rates interesting

*All-inclusive daily and weekly rates include electricity, 2 people, 1 RV, 1 vehicle, and 2 pets.
Fees will be assessed for additional persons 4 years and older, vehicles, and pets.

I wonder what the consider "Family"

2 pets free kids get charged.

Do they charge if the kids are on a leash?
Old 03-20-2016, 08:47 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedrck46 View Post
Found their rates interesting

*All-inclusive daily and weekly rates include electricity, 2 people, 1 RV, 1 vehicle, and 2 pets.
Fees will be assessed for additional persons 4 years and older, vehicles, and pets.

I wonder what the consider "Family"

2 pets free kids get charged.

Do they charge if the kids are on a leash?
Ha yes. at least my kid can use the RV toilet