Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-30-2017, 06:42 PM   #1

5th Wheel Hitches

I know this is not really the right forum group for the question but I've gotten so much good advice here I figured I'd start here before I try the 5th wheel trailer section of the forum. I don't know that group yet. We're moving from a pull behind to a 5th wheel and I know nothing about 5th wheel hitches. I see there are sliding hitches for short bed trucks (which mine is - 6.5ft) and there are manual and automatic versions, lots of different brands, etc. Anyone here got some input or experience with them they can share?
suzhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 06:50 PM   #2

All I can tell you is that I have a 6.5' bed and I'm towing my 1st 5er. I had all advice from you need a slider and you don't need a slider. I bought the B&W Companion manual slider...just in case. Have I had an occasion to use the slider...maybe?? I used it maybe 4 times. 3 times to test and make sure it was working and 1 time I thought that I might need it on a turn getting in/out of a site. My feeling is better safe than sorry and since it's a manual slider, I have no-one to blame but myself if I don't make the "call" and slide the hitch. I have no regrets and I have nothing but great things to say about my choice. Everyone is different and everyone has their own preferences. Just enjoy the RVing lifestyle and I don't think you can go wrong!!
Old 04-30-2017, 07:11 PM   #3

I have the same size bed as you and I went with the Andersen ultimate aluminum look em up. It works well for me, good luck.
Old 05-01-2017, 06:29 AM   #4

I ran a Reese manual slider for 10 years. Only slid it once or twice in that time. A lot depends on the shape of the front cap and the length of the pin box. Get a slider in case you need it but don't spend lots of money on it.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:06 AM   #5

I've been doing all this same research. I just bought a Ram with a 6.5 bed and am in the process of buying an Eagle HT.

I'm getting the Reese Revolution pin box, which is an option on the Jayco order form. It is called a Sidewinder if you buy it yourself. It moves the pivot point aft to give you clearance in a shorter bed. It also gives you more useable room for storage in the truck bed, as the hardware isn't rotating in the bed, rather its rotating at the upper end where it meets the trailer.

Its not as light as the Andersen, and some say it puts extra rotational stress on the trailer when turning. But, since it's a factory option from Jayco, and it seems to be their approved solution for a shorter bed, I figure the engineering and stress is all accounted for.

I don't have any practical experience, and hopefully someone will correct me if I'm full of it :-).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 11:39 AM   #6

I've been running the Andersen Ultimate for about 8 months now and really like it. I have the short bed Ram 2500 and haven't had any issues with cab clearance. Easy to hook up and rides smooth.
Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 12:16 PM   #7

suzhou

This is our 1st FW after 20+ years of towing pop-ups and TTs.

We have a 6.5' bed and went with the PullRite SuperGlide. It's an automatic slide unit. Went with this hitch to be safe and take any worry out of turning and/or backing up.
I'm extremely happy with the PullRite SuperGlide and I've found PullRite to have excellent customer service.

FYI going from years of towing a TT to a FW, the hardest thing I had in adjusting to the FW was the difference in backing up a FW as compared to a TT. It takes a little to get used to.

Hope this is of some help.
Old 05-01-2017, 01:10 PM   #8

5th wheel hitches

Bought a Reece 20k 5er hitch new in 2006 for my Ram 3500 Dully. No complaints!
Attached Thumbnails
Cottonwood 2017.jpeg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote