Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-06-2020, 05:34 PM   #1

A/C bible? and Window Awning Recommendations

Hi all,

I have a 2017 Jayflight 32BHDS. The AC has been unable to keep up with mid-90 degree temps we are having in Michigan and realized that a big part of the problem is our seasonal spot lies north/south so the main windows are facing east and when there are no clouds and a straight sunshine, even with the blinds down, the AC had no chance. So, I'm hoping adding minimally window awnings will help immensely but I'm in need of recommendations. If anyone has any, I'd be greatly appreciative.

Also, in regards to AC, I'm seeing some conflicting information on how to run the AC. Run all the time or not, high, low, etc etc. Is there a 'bible' of sorts that is up to date on best practices in regards to roof top AC units?

Thanks!

Jeff Pitsch
Jepitsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 05:41 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jepitsch View Post
Hi all,

I have a 2017 Jayflight 32BHDS. The AC has been unable to keep up with mid-90 degree temps we are having in Michigan and realized that a big part of the problem is our seasonal spot lies north/south so the main windows are facing east and when there are no clouds and a straight sunshine, even with the blinds down, the AC had no chance. So, I'm hoping adding minimally window awnings will help immensely but I'm in need of recommendations. If anyone has any, I'd be greatly appreciative.

Also, in regards to AC, I'm seeing some conflicting information on how to run the AC. Run all the time or not, high, low, etc etc. Is there a 'bible' of sorts that is up to date on best practices in regards to roof top AC units?

Thanks!

Jeff Pitsch
A lot of people use Reflectix in windows, I'm impatiently waiting for Amazon to ship mine out.
I used a large tarp as an additional awning and it seemed to work well until 50mph wind hit. I'm looking at the Harbor freight shade mesh for another go at it.

Fulltime Boondockers
2019 RAM Big Horn 1500 5.7 Hemi
2020 Jayflight SLX8 245RL Rocky mountain/ Baja
600w solar (+100 portable), 450 ah bank
m2bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 07:48 PM   #3

We've been doing about 30~35 days of camping a year and during that time the A/C is running almost constantly. We had our prior TT for 6 years and never had a problem with the A/C. Our current TT we've had for 3 years (32.5' with one 13.5K BTU A/C) and run the A/C all the time and so far no issues with keeping things comfortable. Of course if you're full timing 365 days a year versus 30 days a year means a lot more wear and tear on the motors.

I guess one question is what type of temperature drop should you realistically expecting from good shading, 2 degrees or 10 degrees? A 2 degree difference may not make much difference in run time while 10 degrees will probably decrease run time significantly.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 08:18 AM   #4

Reflectix. A 24”x25’ roll is $25 at Home Depot. That did our whole trailer with a little extra. Keeps the temperature nice both in the cold and heat. If you like it dark when you sleep, it’s a bonus at night. It’s silly dark with the reflectix in the window and shades drawn.
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 08:55 AM   #5

What have you done for AC maintenance? I make sure the cheap foam filters are kept clean, especially on super hot and humid days. I tend to clean them every 7 days of use, pending on the environment.

Every few years, I tend to pull the outside cover, and clean the coils. Even just plan old dust reduces the units efficiency, restrict air flow across the coil by things like cotton wood seed fluff, and you can really lower the AC's ability.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 02:01 PM   #6

I'm trying to get whatever I can. In the end, it all adds up so multiple little things can make a big difference. Like I said though with direct sunlight coming in through those windows plus overnight temps not dropping below 75-80 seems to be too difficult for our AC at least. By 9:30 or 10am this past Saturday the inside of the trailer was already at 85 and air had been running since 6:30 at least.
Old 07-07-2020, 04:03 PM   #7

That is a big tt, for a single ac. There has been a lot of complaints, about bunk house models having poor ventilation into it. Many people have added ventilation fans in the walls. May also want to check the ceiling ducts are sealed properly.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 05:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
That is a big tt, for a single ac. There has been a lot of complaints, about bunk house models having poor ventilation into it. Many people have added ventilation fans in the walls. May also want to check the ceiling ducts are sealed properly.
Interesting. Where do they put those in? Sorry, I'm trying to conceptualize this. So cut hole in wall, insert fan and blow the air outside?
Old 07-07-2020, 07:59 PM   #9

I have a 2015 314BHDS and only have 1 15k ducted AC.It usually does a descent job but on 90 plus days I struggles a bit.Mostly the bunkroom is the hottest.It is wired for a second AC but its in my bedroom which is usually not to bad.Id love to add a second unit to the bunk room and use the existing roof vent as the hole to mount it.

2015 Jayco Eagle Premier 314BHDS

IBEW local 94 Electrical Worker
314BHDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 08:36 PM   #10

I was camping here in Michigan this past weekend also. We have a 44' Northpoint rear bunk with two 15kbtu units. A few weeks back I went thru it and sealed up all the vents better, took the front interior A/C covers off and sealed things up and repaired a very poorly placed baffle. I also got on the roof and took the main A/C unit off and resealed the duct work and baffle. I was able to get our trailer down into the low 70's during the day and down to 62 at nite. Both units ran almost nonstop all day and periodically off and on thru the nite. We have the MCD blackout window shades which helped keep the heat out but not as well.as if you had some of the refletix stuff in there. Another thing I found that helps a lot is keeping the storage compartment doors closed and keep the in and out of the trailer down to a minimum. I also kept our awning fully extended out to put as much shade on the side of the trailer as possible.
Old 07-08-2020, 01:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Huron View Post
I was camping here in Michigan this past weekend also. We have a 44' Northpoint rear bunk with two 15kbtu units. A few weeks back I went thru it and sealed up all the vents better, took the front interior A/C covers off and sealed things up and repaired a very poorly placed baffle. I also got on the roof and took the main A/C unit off and resealed the duct work and baffle. I was able to get our trailer down into the low 70's during the day and down to 62 at nite. Both units ran almost nonstop all day and periodically off and on thru the nite. We have the MCD blackout window shades which helped keep the heat out but not as well.as if you had some of the refletix stuff in there. Another thing I found that helps a lot is keeping the storage compartment doors closed and keep the in and out of the trailer down to a minimum. I also kept our awning fully extended out to put as much shade on the side of the trailer as possible.
I wish I could put another AC unit on the trailer but we only have 30amp service. I bought some reflectix and going to put that up this afternoon, turn the ac on and check it tomorrow to see how it does.

I'll look into resealing but that type of thing, I'll admit, is not in my wheelhouse but always willing to learn.
Old 07-08-2020, 01:35 PM   #12

Oh, it's easy.
Heres a video link to the baffle issues and vent and duct repairs.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ing-67173.html
Old 07-08-2020, 01:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Huron View Post
Oh, it's easy.
Heres a video link to the baffle issues and vent and duct repairs.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ing-67173.html
Wow! Thank you very much!