Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-15-2022, 11:20 AM   #1

A/C Distribution Box/Cover

In our trailer the air just dumps directly down from the AC (not ducted) and was wondering if something like this would help:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1

Has anyone installed one and if so has it made any difference?

We have the Furrion Chill 14500 AC unit, with the JayCommand system (no controls on the AC box)
Old 09-15-2022, 01:45 PM   #2

From a quick google search, the only difference I found is controls on the cover verses on the wall.

If the air distribution system is the same in both covers, all you have done is lose the automated controls.

We do not have a Furrion. Our Coleman, dumps out the two end ports like the Furrion shows. I have learned how to adjust the fins so it spreads the cool air out over the TT.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 03:36 PM   #3

i tried one similar, the return air vents did not line up. it did not work for me.be sure you install it in 30 day return window.
BB HUMMINGBIRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 10:19 PM   #4

Anything that can facilitate the AC has my interest as Florida can challenge your AC. Problem is I must run it at full blast 24/7 to stay ahead of heat and humidity. That literally makes it hard to talk.
If I go low fan, you can see the temp inside immediately start going up. I would love to know how this works for anyone with a Furrion AC
Larry Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 03:32 AM   #5

A/C

One of the best things we bought was an 8" rechargeable fan. Can clip any where and helps to move the air around the camper. Really helps when A/C running
Forester2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 07:37 PM   #6

We also have a small twin fan set that runs off USB power that we put at the feet side of the bed. It works great to just help circulate the air.

Ok so I bit the bullet and purchased one of these air boxes. I installed today and it was simple and straight forward. I do want to go back in and better seal it off with aluminum tape, but that will be later.

It functions well, the rear side vent is stronger but that is to be expected since the dump from the air is right there. Closing the vent a little makes it balance out between front and rear.

I do believe it made the AC a bit quieter as well as it is now semi-ducted.

In installing it you replace the inside metal plate, I found that ours was a little loose. Not floppy loose but still not "torqued" down, if you want to call 40in LB torqued down. I would suggest everyone check this every so often.

Here are some pics of the installed vent. Now for the best part... wait for it... I got it from Amazon as a like new for $20
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1313.jpg   IMG_1310.jpg  
Old 09-19-2022, 07:43 PM   #7

Darn; somebody else figured out the Amazon Warehouse deals��
Old 09-19-2022, 09:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC_AZ View Post
We also have a small twin fan set that runs off USB power that we put at the feet side of the bed. It works great to just help circulate the air.

Ok so I bit the bullet and purchased one of these air boxes. I installed today and it was simple and straight forward. I do want to go back in and better seal it off with aluminum tape, but that will be later.

It functions well, the rear side vent is stronger but that is to be expected since the dump from the air is right there. Closing the vent a little makes it balance out between front and rear.

I do believe it made the AC a bit quieter as well as it is now semi-ducted.

In installing it you replace the inside metal plate, I found that ours was a little loose. Not floppy loose but still not "torqued" down, if you want to call 40in LB torqued down. I would suggest everyone check this every so often.

Here are some pics of the installed vent. Now for the best part... wait for it... I got it from Amazon as a like new for $20
Tom:
I’ve seen two— one for $76 and one for $122.
You got the $20 version of which one?
Old 09-19-2022, 09:18 PM   #9

The one I got for $20 was the $76 one. If you have the JayCommand system you need the $76 one. From what I can tell the $122 has the temp/speed controls on it and is not what is used with the JayCommand. With the HayCommand system there is a control box inside the AC inlet side. But it’s all covered and inside the unit. It just screws into the same spot on the new distribution box.
Old 09-19-2022, 09:22 PM   #10

@forester, I would say about half my buys for the trailer are “like new” Amazon buys. Getting thing for 50-75% off is what it’s all about. Just like my inverter $340 for a $750 model.
Old 09-19-2022, 09:58 PM   #11

Quote:
The one I got for $20 was the $76 one. If you have the JayCommand system you need the $76 one. From what I can tell the $122 has the temp/speed controls on it and is not what is used with the JayCommand. With the HayCommand system there is a control box inside the AC inlet side. But it’s all covered and inside the unit. It just screws into the same spot on the new distribution box.
I do have the Jay Command. Thanks Tom
Old 09-20-2022, 05:39 AM   #12

Can controls from factory box be moved to the $76 one?
Old 09-20-2022, 08:46 AM   #13

Not sure exactly what you mean by controls, but if it has knobs like this one, then no.
https://www.amazon.com/Furrion-FACT1...3683794&sr=8-2

If you have the knobs you need the more expensive one as the $76 one just does not have the ability to add those.

But if it is currently just a flat cover with no knobs on it than yes. The control box that allows for a remote thermostat up in it mounts to the new metal plate in basically the same location.

If you do this I would also recommend having some aluminum ducting tape on hand to clean up the inner roof side of the AC cutout. They had some on mine but didn't have it with me and I now need to go back and add some additional to it. Once done that also might help with airflow as well.
Old 09-20-2022, 10:08 AM   #14

Fan and air conditioner controls are on outside of air box. Thought I could just pull switchs on old one and put on new.
Old 09-20-2022, 10:19 AM   #15

Unfortunately it is that easy with this as that space is being used as a duct to pass air to the rear and front of the trailer. The face plate that has the logo on it is removable so that you can clean the air filters. That is the part that has the control knobs on it.
Old 09-20-2022, 10:21 AM   #16

One with the control knobs on it looks the same but maybe isnt so
Old 09-24-2022, 01:49 PM   #17

Quote:
Not sure exactly what you mean by controls, but if it has knobs like this one, then no.
https://www.amazon.com/Furrion-FACT1...3683794&sr=8-2

If you have the knobs you need the more expensive one as the $76 one just does not have the ability to add those.

But if it is currently just a flat cover with no knobs on it than yes. The control box that allows for a remote thermostat up in it mounts to the new metal plate in basically the same location.

If you do this I would also recommend having some aluminum ducting tape on hand to clean up the inner roof side of the AC cutout. They had some on mine but didn't have it with me and I now need to go back and add some additional to it. Once done that also might help with airflow as well.
I am giving this one a try b.c I need the ones with the controls on them. I hope this fits my model and i too went with the gently used one.

Will update if it fits.

Thanks for this thread btw.

RR
IG @Pedal_withus
Youtube: Pedal With Us.
This is Jayco Camper #5 for us. 20 years of Jayco's.
rollingrockTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 04:43 PM   #18

Hey TOMC-AZ, I'm very interested in making the switch that you did. Curious as to the model of your Furrion Chill A/C. My 2021 14.5K BTU unit is the FACR14SA-PS that is controlled by the Furrion wall thermostat. My owner's manual lists my OEM shroud as model # FACT12CA-PS. As near as I can tell, it looks like a simple, four, self-tapping screw, swap-out? Thanks. Safe travels.
Cookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 07:29 PM   #19

@RollingrockTX, please post some pic's once done! I have to say I LOVE the "gently used" from Amazon! I swear some of the time they are just wanting to move inventory and take a loss to allow for warehouse space.

@Cookiejar, that is the same one I used, and yes I believe it is the one used for the units that use the wall thermostat. Just make sure no controls on actual current vent cover? As for the install you are half right. Its a total of 10 screws. Four holding on the plastic outside part, two holding the control unit inside. Then four more long screws/bolts that are what actually attaches the AC unit to the roof. The four that hold it to the roof are what need to be torqued to the 40in LB (it is inch pounds, not foot pounds). Ours was actually initially loose (didnt know this) so it was good to do this anyway. A drill or powered screw driver will make quick work of most of this, just make sure not to over torque the long bolts. The kit comes with everything needed however I just reused what mine already came with. Overall its a pretty simple upgrade as long as you can hold your arms above your head for a few min. Total time should not be more than 30min, took me about 15. I will say there is some grey foam that comes with it, I recommend cutting that before you peel off the backing. It is really sticky and it got all over my fingers.
Old 03-02-2023, 01:49 PM   #20

Hello Tom
6 months later I still have not added the air distribution box. It started cooling down late fall and didn’t need it during winter. But it’s already getting to the 90’s here in Florida so I’m going to do this soon.
Ironically, the manual ones like yours is now more expensive than the electric ones on Amazon. I have the Jay command system which you said needed the manual distribution box like yours. If you have a moment, would you mind checking Amazon to see if that is indeed the case. I’m looking at $114 for the manual DB.
Also just another question. The manual box gives you a flow to the front and back instead of just down. Can you choose to say block off the flow to the back( wife) and just have the flow to the front.
I appreciate your time on this.
Thanks, Larry