Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-02-2014, 08:29 AM   #1

A couple of questions - pump & water heater

I recently purchased a 2011 22FB in good shape, but I think the previous owners never used certain things in the trailer - ex: the bedroom exit window seemed like it had never been opened - it was basically sealed closed.

Everything is working well except the water pump and the water heater will not light on gas.

My guess from looking at the water pump visually is that it has never been used. I attempted to fill the fresh water tank, but it never completely filled to overflow - was definitely not leaking out anywhere and I closed the low point drain. From underneath you could see the weight of the water in the fresh tank, so it was getting full, but the monitor still showed E.

Tried the pump and it sounds like it is running but it is not pumping the water.
I closed the valve and opened the sanitizer valve to try just sucking water out of a bucket using the sanitizer hose, but no suction whatsoever - and yes tried the valves in both directions.

The city water works fine.

I am a bit confused by the tanks underneath - there are two - one fresh and is the other a city water holding tank? My old trailer only had a small fresh tank and no holding tank for city water.

I did drain the fresh tank from the low point valve and there was a LOT of water in there - so the monitor is not showing the level.

The monitor is working fine for batttery, and grey and black levels.

So the questions is - how best to diagnose / fix the pump?

2nd issue is the water heater which is electric or gas. Works fine on electric. Tries to light on gas and fails. My guess is it was never used on gas and probably needs the gas pipe / orfice cleaned - may be clogged with spider stuff etc. Any tips on that? My last trailer was a gas only and manual lighting water heater.

The fridge works fine on gas, so the gas is flowing through the pipes ok.

Any advice or tips on these issue would be appreciated!

-2013 F150 4x2 SuperCab 3.5EB
-2011 Jay Flight 22FB (SOLD)
Upuaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 09:42 AM   #2

Your probably right about the water heater, sometimes when previous owners will use the fresh water pump they have left water inside the pump and it was damaged by the water freeze and thaw i think they might sell rebuild kits if it is the right brand, and to replace they may run up to 150.00 . Just my two.
2006 JAYCO JAY FEATHER 23B EXP
EQUILIZER HITCH
Kellys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 11:32 AM   #3

Both of my JayFlights had 4 holding tanks...

1 Black
1 Grey
2 Fresh Water tanks plumbed together in order to achieve the 86+ gallon published capacity.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 12:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upuaut View Post
Tried the pump and it sounds like it is running but it is not pumping the water.
I closed the valve and opened the sanitizer valve to try just sucking water out of a bucket using the sanitizer hose, but no suction whatsoever - and yes tried the valves in both directions.

The city water works fine.
Here's my 5 cents (inflation):
If these things are all true:
-- The pump is running
-- the pump is connected electrically correctly (plus to plus, negative to negative)
-- You closed off all suction lines going into the pump but the one sanitizer (or winterizing) hose
-- The sanitizer hose has no air leaks into it and is not stopped up
-- The end of the sanitizer hose was submerged in water no more than several feet below the pump inlet
-- The supply side of the pump was open and one and only one faucet was open
And no water was pumped to the faucet, then the pump head or the pump shaft is defective. You can buy a new head and replace it. Might be easier if not cheaper to replace the whole pump.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 01:45 PM   #5

Thanks for the responses. Did some more diagnosis today. For the water pump, it's clearly a pump issue - will need a rebuild or replacement.

For the water heater - it is sparking fine, but the solenoid valve does not seem to be opening to let the gas flow, so I'm thinking it needs replaced.

That dual fresh tank plumbed together makes sense to me now. No wonder I never filled it if it takes 86 gallons!

Old 08-02-2014, 02:37 PM   #6
Site Team

Yes in 2011 many of the Jayflights went to a two tank fresh water system.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 04:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Thanks for the responses. Did some more diagnosis today. For the water pump, it's clearly a pump issue - will need a rebuild or replacement.

For the water heater - it is sparking fine, but the solenoid valve does not seem to be opening to let the gas flow, so I'm thinking it needs replaced.

That dual fresh tank plumbed together makes sense to me now. No wonder I never filled it if it takes 86 gallons!
If you know your way around a multimeter, check to see if the solenoid coil is getting 12 volts dc when the unit is trying to light. If it's not, it could be a bad connection, or possibly the control board is faulty. Just my 7 cents- inflation strikes again.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 07:04 PM   #8

Thanks Bill - will check tomorrow with a multimeter to see if power is being applied to the solenoid valve.

Old 08-03-2014, 10:30 AM   #9

Success with the water heater today! I think it was a combination of things. The taking apart and cleaning yesterday and today I pulled off and replaced the 12V connection to the solenoids. Started it and it tried to light then blew out a couple of times. Adjusted the air mixture and it is starting and burning great! I appreciate the help and advice! Now on to the water pump!

Old 08-03-2014, 02:03 PM   #10

The pump could also be sucking air some where, look for lose or cracked fittings, cracked hose or lose clamps on the suction side of the pump.
Old 08-03-2014, 05:44 PM   #11

r.e. the water pump.

If the previous owner winterized it and left the valve from the fresh tank alone, you may find the valve from the tank and the one in the line that draws antifreeze are closed. In that case you'd get nothing but a running pump. Just a random thought. Good luck and I hope it isn't the whole pump.
mtelkhntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:58 AM   #12

Checked the water pump again. No air leaks and valves working fine and in the right direction. Won't suck at all from the winterizing hose or the fresh tank. I'm going to have to pull the pump out and take it apart or replace it I think.

Old 08-04-2014, 01:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Checked the water pump again. No air leaks and valves working fine and in the right direction. Won't suck at all from the winterizing hose or the fresh tank. I'm going to have to pull the pump out and take it apart or replace it I think.

Most pumps have a filter screen on the suction side, it may be that the screen is stopped up.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:35 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch Pin View Post
Most pumps have a filter screen on the suction side, it may be that the screen is stopped up.
Thanks - will check that. Don't think it is the case, but you never know.

Old 08-08-2014, 07:41 PM   #15

Bought a new pump (4008) today and replaced the old one. New one working like a charm! Took apart the old one and everything looks fine so not sure why it is not working.
I could buy a new head and have a spare, but I'm happy with the new one, so all is good.

Old 08-08-2014, 08:51 PM   #16

Glad you got everything working, hope you have fun camping!
Old 08-08-2014, 09:17 PM   #17

Upuaut, definetly the right choice probably an internal crack , sounds good have fun
2006 JAYCO JAY FEATHER 23B EXP
EQUILIZER HITCH
Kellys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 12:45 AM   #18

In my 9 different RV's over the years I have found a problem or 6 in the hot water heater or refrig. electrical connections
They both have electrical spade connections and those connections will corrode and get dirty from road spray etc. Take each connection apart one at a time and spray a little WD40 on them. Work the connection on and off. After all are done in 90% of the time any problems have disappeared. FYI.......worked for me.
Old 08-25-2014, 02:06 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack in Alaska View Post
In my 9 different RV's over the years I have found a problem or 6 in the hot water heater or refrig. electrical connections
They both have electrical spade connections and those connections will corrode and get dirty from road spray etc. Take each connection apart one at a time and spray a little WD40 on them. Work the connection on and off. After all are done in 90% of the time any problems have disappeared. FYI.......worked for me.
Good advice! I think that might have been the issue with the water heater.