Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-24-2017, 08:37 PM   #1

A few random questions on 32BHDS

I think we've narrowed it down to this being the model for our family. A few things that I'm trying to get the answer on, that aren't so obvious.

1. Between the fiberglass siding, and aluminum - which is heavier? I'm hearing two different stories?
2. Any downside to the fiberglass? I like the look, and seems easier to clean & maintain...but I'm open
3. Why on various 32BHDS models that I look at, some have slam-latch handles on the outdoor kitchen (not sure about cargo area), and some have that metal loop? The slam latch just seems to be a better design, but I see no consistency either way???
4. If you collapsed the dinette table down...would it fit through the doorway if you wanted to take it outside?
5. Does anybody feel the need for a second AC unit with the summer heat, and how this model is insulated (assuming I had the 15k unit, and live in FL)

Thanks!
54GFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 08:55 PM   #2

I can only answer in general as I don't have that model. After giving my baby a bath this weekend, I wish I had gotten fiberglass. Would have been much easier to clean. And I didn't even wax! As far as the second AC, I have 2, but rarely use the second one. Mainly because the state parks I stay at only have 30 amp service. That being said, I'm glad I have it if I need it. Summers can get pretty hot and sticky here in Bama.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-24-2017, 09:07 PM   #3

We just sold our 32BHDS. Aluminum sided. Don't think for a minute fiberglass is so easy to clean. The tin, IMO after 5 years, will look better longer and is easier to clean. I have had three fiberglass units, and despite waxing and buffing, they always started to dull and oxidize quickly, which slowly degraded the appearance until one day it was too obvious. The painted tin after some quick car wash soap and a soft washing brush on a long handle is a very quick job with fantastic results.
We are looking for a new rig, and the ONLY hang up I have with tin is hail damage potential, and maybe the "old fashioned" look. Of course now, Jayco uses earth tones, and the tin looks great.
In 5 years, I never waxed the tin, just used an RV wash/wax once a year. My last three fiberglass trailers were waxed every season, and covered in the winter. Soon, they just looked less shiny, and the sparkle was gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kampfirekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 10:00 PM   #4

We have purchased a 32BHDS and are picking it up in early June.

I asked my salesperson about the weight and was told that the fibreglass is heavier by a few hundred pounds.

Also, this walkthrough video mentions at the 2:10 mark that fibreglass is heavier than the aluminum:

Also with the fibreglass, the frameless windows only tilt open so likely less airflow.
Previous - 2011 Jay Series 1007 (traded); 2016 Jay Flight 26BH (traded)
TommyAjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 10:06 PM   #5

I would imagine that the Fiberglass model is a bit heavier. Seems like a decent trade off for the added strength, durability, and updated look.

I'm not sure on Jayco's optional offerings but I would imagine that the slam latches are available in one of the optional upgrade packages that Jayco offer. I prefer the slam latches over the old school ones. Much more than that though is I like the magnetic latches for the storage cubbys.

I believe that the whole purpose of the free standing dinette is so that it can be removed from the trailer and taken outside.

I can't really relate on the second AC. Our summers get pretty hot during the day but cool off substantially at night. I couldn't sleep in a hot bedroom. If you're like me. I'd opt for the 2nd unit to keep cool if I lived in a climate that did cool off at night.
vboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 05:31 AM   #6

I have the 32bhds in aluminum sides. It is not hard to clean. The beast is heavy. In Louisiana I will run the second AC often in the summer time. If you are not going in and out the 15K will do OK, but the rear bunk does tend to warm up. I will put a box fan in the back to circulate more air. We spent the weekend at Cajun Palms during the summer and it took both units just to keep it cool inside. No shade all concrete 95+ degrees.
bigcuzauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 05:38 AM   #7

As mentioned, the fiberglass is heavier. Never had a fiberglass rig, so can't comment on which is easier to clean.

Not sure on the slam latches. Maybe a stick availability thing????

If the table is free standing, should fit through the door to use outside. Our will fit, but is the pedestal style.

We have been ok here in Mid Mi with the single 15K a/c, but maybe consider the second since your in Fl.

I have read there is a smart controller that allows two a/c's on a 30a service. Only allows one to fire up at a time. But that is all I really know about it.

54, what tv do you have? The 32 BHDS is a 2500/250+ rig. Don't let the dealer give you wd bars that are rated less than at least 1400lbs.

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote