Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-06-2013, 01:43 PM   #1

"A" frame angle relative to box frame

We have a new White Hawk and the A frame intersects the I beam body frame at an angle of about 3 to 5 degrees, vertical. The trailer is aligned properly with the hitch. This 3 to 5 degrees results in the ball hitch coupler being about 5 or 6 inches higher than the trailer box frame. I traded in an '07 "jayflight" and had to raise my hitch ball up about 6 inches to make this trailer ride level. Raising the hitch ball was accomplished by flipping the stinger. No big deal.

Now- The trailer rides and pulls very well. I will testify that the White Hawk is a pleasure to pull. I can't see any reason for concern and asked a Jayco rep if it was a design feature. He didn't know anything about it. They don't make the frame. Has anyone else noticed the same anomaly? If so do you have any concerns? Can anyone else think of a reason that this might be a design feature and know what it might be supposed to accomplish? More curious than concerned.
leoslaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 03:46 PM   #2

I had a coachman that was like that, and when you looked at it from the side I looked odd. I think someone dropped it down on the front jack real hard and bent it upward.

I would find a level place, then level the tt real good, then measure the hitch height. After you do that, call Jayco and ask them what the hitch height is for your model tt.

Then compare your measurement with the one they told you, then you will know if something is not right.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:05 PM   #3

You may send Jayco an email noting the VIN of your camper and your concerns. This will establish a paper trail if you have issues down the road, and they may give you the answer to put your mind at ease.
jenoble99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:02 PM   #4

Also post a picture so we can see the angle you are speaking of

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:21 PM   #5

I think I know what you are referring to, and yes, there is an angle there, and in my opinion, it has been engineered that way. I have not done anything unusual that would cause any "bending", and I am not concerned at all...
5.3L V8 3:73 Husky Centerline Hitch
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
I think I know what you are referring to, and yes, there is an angle there, and in my opinion, it has been engineered that way. I have not done anything unusual that would cause any "bending", and I am not concerned at all...
You may not have done anything to bend it, but you don't know what may have been done before you got it, I've seen how they handle these things at the dealership. I've seen them drop the tt down on the front jack real hard when they move them around.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:12 AM   #7

No, its not bent. I have gone over it very well looking for bent or bad weld at the box frame to A frame joints. The welds are good as well as the square tube members. This A frame was put on at an angle to the frame. I may go to back to Jayco and try to get a definitive answer as to whether this is a design or sloppy tolerance. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:37 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoslaton View Post
No, its not bent. I have gone over it very well looking for bent or bad weld at the box frame to A frame joints. The welds are good as well as the square tube members. This A frame was put on at an angle to the frame. I may go to back to Jayco and try to get a definitive answer as to whether this is a design or sloppy tolerance. Thanks for the suggestions.
They may say its by design, but if its off very much, I can tell you its sloppy tolerance.

I worked with steel in a large fab shop for 34 years, there is no reason for it to be put on in a angle.

The dealership where we got our tt said that they have seen some so bad that they had to cut them lose and weld them back on straight.
Old 07-07-2013, 01:48 PM   #9

Good reply, This is not giving any problem at present but at the end of this month I am going to drag it a couple of thousand miles so if there is a potential problem it should show up. If nothing develops I am going to leave it alone rather than take a torch to it, too much hassle and the potential that a welder can make it worse. Thanks again for the comments.