Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-24-2018, 11:33 AM   #21

September of 2018. You have until September of 2018 to get things fixed under warranty.
After I purchased my 28BHBE in October of 2015, The only issues I had was the TV didn't work after 1 month (Dealer replaced and never had any more TV issues)
After 1 1/2 years, back on the floor between the pantry and the bathroom door, there was a nail or screw coming up. This was fixed under warranty. At the same time, During a heavy rainstorm, we saw some water dripping down onto the floor from the TV antenna crank. Seal was replaced under warranty.
After the trailer was 2 months out of warranty, the Smoke detector 9which is hidden by the slide out when the slide is in, dropped down onto the top of the slide roof and we didn't know it. As my son was putting the slide out, we heard something go CRUNCH. Started looking around and found the smoke detector wedged between the 2 seals. Made a small tear trying to get it unjammed. Put some flex-seal tape over the tear.

Those were the only issues we had. Otherwise.... We love our 28BHBE.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 11:53 AM   #22

Thanks for posting back, now we can hope to help. Yes, this sounds like an absolute goat rodeo and all you can hope to do is gather up your pride and forge ahead. I can definitely see where you would be ready to toss a match in the door and walk away. That being an option, albeit an even more expensive one, let’s weigh the other avenues of fixing this wreck.
If you haven’t kept records, receipts, and been in contact with Jayco this whole time you might be SOL in that department. If you have been then you could have some leverage to get this thing labeled a lemon, or at least get something figured out with them directly.
If you can’t go that route then hopefully you are handy and you start making this thing better than it was in the first place. Most of us have had leaks, broken crappy factory parts, “head shaking” wtf moments when we see how they built our trailers. Like I told my wife going in, “I want the best possible base to begin with and then I’ll just make it better”. Unfortunately it sounds like you received a nightmare to start with. You’ve got to decide, did you buy this because it was something cool to get and barely ever use, or do you have a passion for camping and exploring new places in a house on wheels? If it’s the former then maybe you get out while you can because this isn’t a cheap hobby, if it’s the latter then hang around and tackle these issues one by one and learn along the way. Before you know it you’ll feel like an “expert” and be able to help the next guy in your shoes. Use this forum, Google, YouTube, RV Life, RV Mods, RV Geeks, and other websites to learn, learn, and learn some more. There seem to be two types I run into after doing this for years now. There are the do-it-yourself if it’s possible types, and there are the “run for the dealer” and get hosed almost every time types. Choose which one to be and be honest with yourself and in the long run you’ll be happier.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 12:53 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwby View Post
Thanks for posting back, now we can hope to help. Yes, this sounds like an absolute goat rodeo and all you can hope to do is gather up your pride and forge ahead. I can definitely see where you would be ready to toss a match in the door and walk away. That being an option, albeit an even more expensive one, let’s weigh the other avenues of fixing this wreck.
If you haven’t kept records, receipts, and been in contact with Jayco this whole time you might be SOL in that department. If you have been then you could have some leverage to get this thing labeled a lemon, or at least get something figured out with them directly.
If you can’t go that route then hopefully you are handy and you start making this thing better than it was in the first place. Most of us have had leaks, broken crappy factory parts, “head shaking” wtf moments when we see how they built our trailers. Like I told my wife going in, “I want the best possible base to begin with and then I’ll just make it better”. Unfortunately it sounds like you received a nightmare to start with. You’ve got to decide, did you buy this because it was something cool to get and barely ever use, or do you have a passion for camping and exploring new places in a house on wheels? If it’s the former then maybe you get out while you can because this isn’t a cheap hobby, if it’s the latter then hang around and tackle these issues one by one and learn along the way. Before you know it you’ll feel like an “expert” and be able to help the next guy in your shoes. Use this forum, Google, YouTube, RV Life, RV Mods, RV Geeks, and other websites to learn, learn, and learn some more. There seem to be two types I run into after doing this for years now. There are the do-it-yourself if it’s possible types, and there are the “run for the dealer” and get hosed almost every time types. Choose which one to be and be honest with yourself and in the long run you’ll be happier.
I appreciate all the replies of support. I am a pretty handy guy and will make improvements and upgrades as I can. I will try and make the most of it.
MK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 01:04 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
Let's give the OP a few days to respond and offer clarification. If not we will pull the post.

A few questions, is this a Jayflight? Is it a 28BHBE, I can't find 28BHBS in the Jayco archives for 17. Also as per the rules brand bashing is not permitted, but you can report issues and problems and ask for help resolving those issues. And yes members are usually suspicious when a first post is a rant, so follow up posts are helpful.
I agree Crabman. The OP has since responded. Jeez..It's amazing how quick people are to jump all over the OP (troll, hacked account, competing salesman, etc.) because he didn't respond RIGHT AWAY to the questions asked.. SMH.
Old 04-24-2018, 01:26 PM   #25

I feel for you for things not being what you was expecting...

From what I have found out it is almost like owning a boat hehe... Always something needs attention... Whether it's NEW or USED...

Just wait until you get it going down the bumpy roads on long trips...

Thank goodness I am somewhat orientated in mods and things to make my trailer suit my needs and performance levels.

Lets me overlook some of the obvious faults. I just go ahead and fix things and go on...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 01:46 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK19 View Post
I appreciate all the replies of support. I am a pretty handy guy and will make improvements and upgrades as I can. I will try and make the most of it.
Regardless of how handy you are, why wouldn't you let the dealer fix the issues under warranty? That way, if the same issues return, you'll have recourse beyond your 2-year warranty.

For the record, we had a problem with our DVD/entertainment system as well. Jayco replaced it under warranty.
Old 04-24-2018, 01:56 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylersdad View Post
Regardless of how handy you are, why wouldn't you let the dealer fix the issues under warranty? That way, if the same issues return, you'll have recourse beyond your 2-year warranty.

For the record, we had a problem with our DVD/entertainment system as well. Jayco replaced it under warranty.
If it’s something big and expensive then I’d absolutely try to get it fixed by dealer for free. But usually it’s something small like a leaky line or seal that can be fixed in a day or two with very little trouble. That beats leaving it at a dealer for months on end and hoping they fix it right or at all.
Old 04-24-2018, 02:02 PM   #28

WARRANTY, WARRANTY, WARRANTY. Once they have the problems on their books, your dealer and Jayco have from now and beyond September 2018 to fix them! Is your dealer too far away?
1980 Shasta 21; 1981 Coleman Tent Trailer
1978 VW Westfalia; lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 02:23 PM   #29

Quote:
If it’s something big and expensive then I’d absolutely try to get it fixed by dealer for free. But usually it’s something small like a leaky line or seal that can be fixed in a day or two with very little trouble. That beats leaving it at a dealer for months on end and hoping they fix it right or at all.
X2 and what some of these critics should do is just snoop around these repair shops and watch some of these animals at work. If something big needs to be replaced that's one thing but if it's a repair then do it yourself or hire a retired pro ( maybe off Craig's List ) and your done once and for all.
Old 04-24-2018, 02:48 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by koko View Post
Is your dealer too far away?
65 miles. It's scheduled to go there May 7, but I would prefer to handle things myself going forward, rather than get jerked around. Warranty, sure - I'll get fixed what I can, but I am going to take charge of this on my own; that way I know that it gets done right.
MK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 03:08 PM   #31

Quote:
65 miles. It's scheduled to go there May 7, but I would prefer to handle things myself going forward, rather than get jerked around. Warranty, sure - I'll get fixed what I can, but I am going to take charge of this on my own; that way I know that it gets done right.
There. I like the cut of your jib.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 04:50 PM   #32

I agree with fixing things yourself if your dealers mechanics are anything like the ones at my dealer. The large things you may want the dealer to fix.
GarlicDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 05:39 PM   #33

I am so sorry for your trouble - Been there. One must go into RV ownership with eyes wide open. They are junk. Your best plan is to get one with decent bones, if possible. Then you spend money and time repairing and improving it. It is a strange hobby.

I say dealer, schmealer and warranty schwarranty. They don't touch mine unless it is a major problem. I have seen way too much funky crud from the hacks. If this were my unit, I would fix these things myself. You can pull the windows and reset them with proper sealing (butyl tape and Geocel or RTV caulk). The plumbing fittings probably need to be tightened or adjusted to engage the threads properly. Some of ours were cross threaded and others would not thread because the pipe was poorly measured, and they would not align with the threads. Drop the underbelly cover and check all of the plumbing, tank fasteners, and chassis bolts and welds. There may be some stress on your tank valves, to the fasteners may be loose. You can trace the water supply lines to look for poor connections or a faulty "back flow" valve - very common and easy to replace.

Hang in there. Get right by doing it right yourself. Once you get it going in the right direction, you will be able to enjoy it. And you will be more prepared for the next failures. It will take time, but the dealer is going to take time and will likely do a shoddy job or screw it up worse. Keep us posted. Feel free to PM me if you want help with specific issues.
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 07:05 PM   #34

Quote:
Unfortunately this is the way you have to be. The turnover rate and amount of unskilled people at the service centers would blow your mind. I have sat in my camper with “seasoned techs” that don’t seem to know their butt from a hole in the ground. I’ve seen the work that’s standard for them, they turn and burn units as fast as possible, never taking that moment to make it right, they just make it good enough. Dig in and make this camper your “female dog”, you’ll learn so much about how it’s put together and works. It’s just a wood box on wheels with some simple plumbing and simple appliances once you get confident!
Feel free to start a new thread we can jump into and work this out as a team, or just keep this one going. The title just might turn off future helpers...
Unfortunately your a 37 hour drive away lol
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Old 04-24-2018, 08:16 PM   #35

Quote:
So, we bought a new 2017 28BHBS and I can't emphasize how much I regret it. What an absolute cheap POS. To think we paid $33,000 cash for such a horribly poorly made trailer makes me feel like such an idiot. Forgetting the fact that, like most people, we bought it and have barely use it in the year that we've had it; but the number of water leaks and other issues on this brand new trailer are beyond comprehension. I guess I'm just looking for a place to vent, because I don't have any idea what possible recourse I have other than to fix and improve everything myself. Since I'm stuck with it, we're already going to replace the pathetic Furrion system. Does anyone happen to have some suggestions that work on these poorly made trailers to vastly improve their usefulness?
Jayco is not the best camp trailer out in the world, but is seventh on the list of the top 10. I have owned several different brands. Others were new and used. The Jayco is the same as the rest, not better, but NOT WORSE!! We are happy with our TT. The only issue that we had was a furnace problem and some trim work. I know I need to reseal some of the roof, but that is a normal maintenance thing.

https://www.roamingtimes.com/2016/11...r-brands-2016/

Have the warranty work done on it if you bought it new.
Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 09:56 PM   #36

Quote:
Best response I have read in a long time...
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote