Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-23-2018, 02:54 PM   #1

Absolute regret

So, we bought a new 2017 28BHBS and I can't emphasize how much I regret it. What an absolute cheap POS. To think we paid $33,000 cash for such a horribly poorly made trailer makes me feel like such an idiot. Forgetting the fact that, like most people, we bought it and have barely use it in the year that we've had it; but the number of water leaks and other issues on this brand new trailer are beyond comprehension. I guess I'm just looking for a place to vent, because I don't have any idea what possible recourse I have other than to fix and improve everything myself. Since I'm stuck with it, we're already going to replace the pathetic Furrion system. Does anyone happen to have some suggestions that work on these poorly made trailers to vastly improve their usefulness?
MK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 03:02 PM   #2

I was lucky with my 195RB. NO issues aside from a broken-off screw in the window jam. Not to place any blame, but could some of the leaks be due to water freezing? I just hope that access to the water leaks is not complicated. This is not much of a plus, but at least you will know your trailer a little better after working on it (and maybe hate it all the more if things are tough.)
skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 03:26 PM   #3

It would be helpful if you gave us a list of all the problems you've had with your 28BHBS.

Obviously you don't like the Furrion system. Is it just a poor quality system, or is it broken?

And where are all the leaks? Through the roof, and windows, or from the various pipes in the trailer?

What other problems have made it a POS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK19 View Post
So, we bought a new 2017 28BHBS and I can't emphasize how much I regret it. What an absolute cheap POS. To think we paid $33,000 cash for such a horribly poorly made trailer makes me feel like such an idiot. Forgetting the fact that, like most people, we bought it and have barely use it in the year that we've had it; but the number of water leaks and other issues on this brand new trailer are beyond comprehension. I guess I'm just looking for a place to vent, because I don't have any idea what possible recourse I have other than to fix and improve everything myself. Since I'm stuck with it, we're already going to replace the pathetic Furrion system. Does anyone happen to have some suggestions that work on these poorly made trailers to vastly improve their usefulness?

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 03:28 PM   #4
Site Team

Please take a moment to list your specific problems in detail and hopefully we will be able to help you out. I'm assuming that you have already gone the route of contacting your dealer on potential repair of your issues under warranty.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 03:31 PM   #5

Water leaks on a two year old TT could mean damage or lack of maintenance. Perhaps a better inspection before you purchased it would of exposed all the problems you claim. If you had operated the audio system you may of seen it did not meet your expectations. But most people don't purchase an RV for a great audio system, I don't think we have ever had ours on. Too many other distractions to participate in when camping

Good Luck.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 04:30 PM   #6

I understand your need to vent. As has been mentioned though, you haven't given much in the way of specifics if you're actually looking to mitigate your losses.

People posting on here about a horrible experience with a Jayco product seems to be a fairly regular occurrence. Unfortunately, there's no unbiased database where RV issues are quantified, so none of truly knows how often the horrible experiences with poor quality and bad dealer service are actually occurring.

I bought a new Jayco last year, and have had a few small issues, and can agree that quality, fit and finish aren't awe inspiring, and it's not difficult to imagine someone having problems. Some of the components in my trailer are just plain junk, and shouldn't have been installed.

Still, I understand that the trailer manufacturers probably have a pretty good understanding of their market. They're probably perfectly capable of building to a higher level of quality and consistency, but that's probably not what the market dictates.

Sounds like you're ready to separate yourself from your rolling disaster. Maybe we can help with fixing some of the major glitches to make it salable.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 06:09 PM   #7

If it makes you feel any better, it’s a crap shoot with any manufacturer.
Mine has been at the dealer for a total of 13months.
My previous rig never saw a dealers repair shop in 6years.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 07:42 PM   #8

In the price point the Jayco Travel Trailers are (excluding 5th wheel, tow haulers & RV) your going to have areas of cheap and hurried build quality. Bottom line is all comparable brands in these price points suffer the same QC issues.

Knowing specifically what each issue is, will help greatly. Example: my 2017 White Hawk had a total POS Furrion TV and it failed on our first trip. Camping world replaced it under warranty, and the next Furrion was a new design, never had a problem again.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:55 PM   #9

I don't even think you can limit this to the RV industry. I spend a lot of time on the Ford Truck Enthusiasts forums. See the same thing...meaning everything from minor problems that should never have made it off the line to major component failures. I have one close friend and my aunt who had brand new homes built for them in different neighborhoods by different builders with major problems such as drywall screws through plumbing AND electrical in the same home.

All manufacturers are trying to build as many units as they can sell as quickly as they can sell them and unfortunately that means QC may not always be the greatest. You just have to push the manufacturer on whatever issues are theirs and do your best with the issues that are not. I'm awaiting arrival of a new Eagle 330RSTS and every night I read these forums I think I have trouble sleeping. I have to remind myself that there are 1000s of happy owners out there that aren't posting about how awesome their trailer was off the line and unfortunately there are going to be some duds.

That being said, I agree with everyone above. Post your specific problems and see what the community can do for you.
morleyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 08:12 PM   #10

If you paid $33K cash for that TT then you got took. No one pays MSRP. You should've only paid $23-25,000 cash. As for the issues you have. If you read in your manual and warranty you'll see that inspections need to be made several times a year to prevent leaks. If you didn't have them turn on the cheap Furrion stereo before you bought it then thats on you. Too many times buyers just assume everything's right and don't take it upon themselves to inspect their purchase.
There's a reason RV's depreciate so fast. It's cause they're basically poorly and cheaply built and no one knows for sure how it has been taken care of.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 11:19 PM   #11

Sorry to hear about your issues. As others have said, post the issues and chances are help will be posted. Don't worry, everything will be fine.
2015 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab, Traded in
Bluegill1
bluegill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 11:36 PM   #12

So, he's been on this forum for almost two years and this is his first post. Hmmmm.
Tim15856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 06:07 AM   #13

Use the warranty.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 07:51 AM   #14

someone hacked his account..

one and done usually means the mod just needs to delete the thread...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 08:34 AM   #15

Troll?
GarlicDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 09:50 AM   #16

Delete the thread, poster has had plenty of time to cool down. Some people just need to scream into the internet void and have nothing good to say.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 10:10 AM   #17

Makes you wonder if this isn't a salesperson for a competing brand and they are just trying to trash Jayco cause they can't beat them. Too often we get a first post like this, then nothing after that. Myself, when I see a post like this I just disregard it...or, some people just love to complain .... no matter what Jayco or a dealer did they want what they want and will never be satisfied. You could burn the plant down, fire everyone and they still will say Jayco did nothing...

I agree just shut these kinds of post down when there is no constructive response from the original poser err poster..

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 10:27 AM   #18
Site Team

Let's give the OP a few days to respond and offer clarification. If not we will pull the post.

A few questions, is this a Jayflight? Is it a 28BHBE, I can't find 28BHBS in the Jayco archives for 17. Also as per the rules brand bashing is not permitted, but you can report issues and problems and ask for help resolving those issues. And yes members are usually suspicious when a first post is a rant, so follow up posts are helpful.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 10:38 AM   #19

Never heard of a 28BHBS. Also, the recourse you are asking about is your 2yr warranty. Use it.
Old 04-24-2018, 11:17 AM   #20

Sorry for my delayed reply. We bought the trailer new in September of 2016. I will admit we didn't really do a lot of research before we got it other than looking at other local dealers trailers and they didn't seem as nice. A friend has the exact same year and model, 28BHBE (Not 28BHBS as I mis-stated) and his was OK at first too. We used it 2 weeks later without issue. Then, within one month of owning the trailer, we had issues with the main door not being able to close or lock, the TV/DVD system flaking out, speakers crackling, dining room table bench collapsing, rain water leaking into 3 of the windows, leaking toilet, shower and bathroom faucets, as well as water leaking from the undercarriage membrane. We finally got it in to get all the issues fixed and haven't used it again since last weekend when, yet again, more issues arose - grey/black water coupling leaks, city water hookup leaks into the trailer, shower pan, shower head and toilet leak, DVD audio completed flaked out, lights under awning are sagging/coming loose from trailer... it's extremely frustrating - especially since I know I made a huge mistake by overpaying for a big ticket purchase I didn't research fully. I can't express how angry I am at myself for being so stupid. I feel like it's a huge amount of money just lost and I have this POS to show for it, which has to go spend god knows how long at the worthless dealership we got it from next month.

I read up on the fix for the DVD system, which is to basically buy your own setup - which I guess I will do. Other than that, I guess I will have to modify the thing to reinforce areas such as the seats bed, etc to get them to work better. Thanks for letting me vent.
MK19 is offline   Reply With Quote