Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-10-2019, 11:07 PM   #1

AC Blows Warm Air

I have a new 2019 Jay Feather model 24RL with the 15,000 AC unit. I purchased it last August and took three camping trips before it got cold on Long Island, NY. The AC was working fine. I just arrived in Florida today and when I turn on the AC it blows room temperature air and the compressor never kicks in.

The AC circuit breaker looks good. When it is off the blower does not come on. Power voltage is 119vac.

The blower will come on when the thermostat is set lower then the ambient temperatures and go off when it is higher.

I reinitialized the CT thermostat but that had no effect. The furnace is working fine. Any ideas of things to check?

Many thanks.
Flyn2High is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 06:50 AM   #2

Loose wire, either behind the thermostat or at the control box up in the a/c. Or it could be a bad thermostat or bad compressor.

Pull the wires out of the wall behind the thermo and start there. They use wire nuts and could be loose.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:25 PM   #3

Thanks Grumpy:

I pulled the Thermostat but it was directly connected to a 3 wire cable. I had someone come and diagnosed it. It turns out that its a bad compressor. I'm going to to try and arrange a warenty replacement at a local Jayco dealer. I hope I don't have to leave it overnight.

Lou
Old 02-11-2019, 08:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyn2High View Post
Thanks Grumpy:

I pulled the Thermostat but it was directly connected to a 3 wire cable. I had someone come and diagnosed it. It turns out that its a bad compressor. I'm going to to try and arrange a warenty replacement at a local Jayco dealer. I hope I don't have to leave it overnight.

Lou
See if JAYCO has a mobile service that they work with in the area you're in. They did that for me never had to move the rig. You may have to pay the bill, but they will reimburse you pretty fast.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:01 PM   #5

Thanks I'll give it a try. I have the local contact for Dometic.

We are traveling with a pet African Gray Parrot in a big cage. It may be tough finding a hotel for us.
Old 02-12-2019, 06:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Thanks I'll give it a try. I have the local contact for Dometic.

We are traveling with a pet African Gray Parrot in a big cage. It may be tough finding a hotel for us.
Haha! Does it swear like a sailor?
2014 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost
skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 07:52 PM   #7

That's funny. We have friends that have a big parrot. The bird doesn't like the husband and will bite him so he went FU to the bird after getting bit. Now the parrot won't stop. He goes Ffffff - Youuuu and of course gets a big reaction.

We are careful with ours. He talks a lot but no curses.

There is a huge RV Center 20 miles away in Port Saint Lucie, FL. They have two ac units in stock and we have an appointment for Thursday to have them do the swap under warenty.

While we were there we looked at some high end 5th wheels. Now I'm looking at pick up trucks.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:22 PM   #8

Quote:
There is a huge RV Center 20 miles away in Port Saint Lucie, FL. They have two ac units in stock and we have an appointment for Thursday to have them do the swap under warenty.
Good to hear.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:25 PM   #9

Just a heads up, buy the pick-up AFTER you buy the Fiver, you can't make the truck bigger. Just some sage advice I've gathered from elsewhere, but it makes a lot of sense to me.
Johnny Lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:52 PM   #10

That's what they told me also. My idea was to go for a 250 series with a diesel though. That should satisfy most of the models I was looking at. I'm thinking something like the class of the shorter Northpoint or Pinnical. I need to do a lot more research on the TV and TT.
Old 02-13-2019, 08:03 AM   #11

Quote:
That's what they told me also. My idea was to go for a 250 series with a diesel though. That should satisfy most of the models I was looking at. I'm thinking something like the class of the shorter Northpoint or Pinnical. I need to do a lot more research on the TV and TT.

If you are wanting a north point or a Pinnacle, do not get a 250 diesel. Get a 350. You won’t have enough payload in the 250 unless you get a gas model. Be sure to check the yellow sticker of the specific truck you’re interested in.

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 03:41 PM   #12

Its a learning experience. I was looking at the smaller Pinnacle. The salesman said the truck needs to be at least 14,000 lb rated. It is a lot simpler to match the TV for conventional trailers. Here's a newbe question but what spec on the trailer is it that the TV should exceed?
Old 02-13-2019, 04:13 PM   #13

A 14,000 lb TV is a dually

3/4 Ton is 10,000 lb

1 ton SRW is 11,500 lb.

You’ll need the GVWR of the trailer to estimate your pin weight. Generally people use 20% of GVWR to figure the pin weight.

So if the trailer has a 15k GVWR, you can estimate it to have 3000 pound pin when loaded. Now, see if the truck can carry that much plus the weight of your passengers and extra stuff that didn’t come with the truck from the factory (hitch, firewood, tools, etc).

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 01:47 PM   #14

Thanks I see now that even though the new Fords have an advantage in having a higher tow rating, the F250 with the HD trailer tow package will just about make it. The same setup in the F350, SRW, 8' bed, super cab will only be limited by the 18,000 lb hitch. The trailers I am considering have a max GVWR of 15,500 lbs and a pin weight of a little over 2,000 lb.

I know in real life I won't be over 14,500 but I'll will good to have the extra capacity. The only sacrifice is the ride.

If the TV was only going to pull the camper then I'd get a dully but I live not far from NYC and don't want to be that wide in traffic.

Tags
air conditioner, thermostat, warm ac.