Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-13-2019, 01:05 PM   #1

AC comes on when in OFF mode

Hello. I am a new 2018 23MRB owner. The TT is currently parked in my side yard, and is plugged into electrical. Several times I have gone out and found the Dometic AC unit has come on. It has probably come on more than I know, but I don't know unless I happen to be outside and hear it running. Each time I go in and set it to OFF mode. I looked at the user manual and it just says use the mode button and select off. There is Off/Cool/Heat modes. Any idea's? I am doing something wrong? Also, is it okay to leave the TT plugged in when not in use? Thanks in advance for helping a newbie!
2016 Toyota Tundra SR5
RGawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 01:30 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to Foretm
Is your thermostats analog or digital? When you come in and find the AC on is the thermostat still in the "off" mode? If its running in the off mode, then definitely that is an issue. If it seems to be set to cool each time you go in, and you have a digital thermostat that has the modes set electronically, then it could be the electrical going on and off and the thermostat resetting. If the thermostat is analog and its set to cool, I would lock the door as someone is changing it.
Foretm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 01:36 PM   #3

Thank you for your reply. It is a digital system. When the AC comes on, it has switched from off mode to cool mode. I thought maybe I wasn't turning it off correctly, but as I said, I checked the manual and it is very basic with only three settings. There is no reason that the electric would be going on and off, causing the thermostat to reset. If my electric was going on and off, it would be happening in my house as well I would think. I am baffled.
2016 Toyota Tundra SR5
Old 02-13-2019, 01:51 PM   #4

I have the same unit as you have. I can't help you with that problem but I will add that as I was traveling one time when I stopped the furnace was on. I am positive it was off before I left. I have solar so I never leave mine plugged in so I wouldn't be giving it a chance for the air to come on. Maybe I will plug it in just to see!
Old 02-13-2019, 01:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGawan View Post
Thank you for your reply. It is a digital system. When the AC comes on, it has switched from off mode to cool mode. I thought maybe I wasn't turning it off correctly, but as I said, I checked the manual and it is very basic with only three settings. There is no reason that the electric would be going on and off, causing the thermostat to reset. If my electric was going on and off, it would be happening in my house as well I would think. I am baffled.
you have a defective thermostat. No device in history ever jumps from "off' to "on" all by itself. Something is wrong wiht the stat.
I don't know of any stat that you can even program to do that.

simply take the stat off the wall and leave the wires hanging (make sure they wires do not touch) and leave it for a few days, if the a/c doesn't come on... you have your answer. the unit does come on, you have a short between "r" and "y"
Jmac000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 02:13 PM   #6

Thanks for the response! I removed the cover as you suggested, but since it is a digital system, it has circuit boards and no wires. I suspect I would have to deconstruct it a little deeper than removing the cover off to get to any wires.

You may be correct that it is defective. *S*I*G*H*. This system also frequently switches from Fahrenheit to Centigrade with seemingly no provocation. Again, I thought that was something I was doing as a newbie. The only way I found to correct that is to remove the cover, and then put it back on, which effectively seems to reset this. I have read that it is very difficult to get things corrected with Jayco Service Centers. I was hoping I would never have to go there. DRAT!!
2016 Toyota Tundra SR5
Old 02-13-2019, 02:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGawan View Post
Thanks for the response! I removed the cover as you suggested, but since it is a digital system, it has circuit boards and no wires. I suspect I would have to deconstruct it a little deeper than removing the cover off to get to any wires.

You may be correct that it is defective. *S*I*G*H*. This system also frequently switches from Fahrenheit to Centigrade with seemingly no provocation. Again, I thought that was something I was doing as a newbie. The only way I found to correct that is to remove the cover, and then put it back on, which effectively seems to reset this. I have read that it is very difficult to get things corrected with Jayco Service Centers. I was hoping I would never have to go there. DRAT!!
Is this a bluetooth stat or a Wi-Fi stat? Do you have a model number for the stat. I'd like to take a look at the specs
Jmac000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 06:38 PM   #8

If it's digital it is a 3 wire comm cable and not at all like residential stat wiring. If it is the touch screen they can be extremely sensitive to any touch. I had replaced one that the customer would merely brush against it while walking past and it would change settings of modes on occasion. Since replacement he has had zero issue's.
o2silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 06:48 PM   #9

ahhh... your using it in the "off"icial mode.... switch to the regular mode.

Like others metioned, sounds like a defective controller, especially if it also switches from F to C.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:05 PM   #10

Its under warranty, let the dealer figure it out!
In the meantime, find your fuse panel and shut off the breaker for your AC. That'll prevent it from running unnecessarily when you don't need it. Good luck!
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote