Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-19-2016, 06:34 AM   #1
ksw

AC Froze up

Second year camping with TT. Had no issues last year. Apparently during the night the AC I assume froze up. We woke up to a warm temp. Inside It is running though barely any air coming out of vents. We have cut it off for a bit and hope that resolves the issue.. Is this a common problem campers see?
ksw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 06:39 AM   #2
Site Team

Have you cleaned the filter lately? Turn it off and let it thaw out. Verify that condensate drains are working. You should see water dripping off the roof somewhere when it is running properly.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 06:43 AM   #3
ksw

My unit had the controls on the ceiling.. And that is the only filter I'm aware of. I pulled it and its clean. It is definitely not dripping like it normally does off the back roof. Its just a small trickle.
ksw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 07:00 AM   #4
Site Team

I would let it thaw completely before running it again.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 08:35 AM   #5

Turn the fan switch to on and let it thaw out. If you had it on low and the temp knob on max and high humidity thats when they freeze up. On our second a/c in the bunk room it is a manual controls like that and i just back off the temp knob until I hear the compressor kick off then it won't freeze up on you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lx22f/c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 10:58 AM   #6

There is an AC service tech on this forum (sorry don't remember name) and they could give better advice.
I've found 3 things that will cause a unit to freeze up. Several of them have already been mentioned.
1) Any restriction in air flow - most commonly a really dirty filter but could also be bad fan motor or blocked/closed vents. In a ducted system, closing too many vents or a crushed or blocked pipe may cause a freeze.
2) low coolant level. I've never understood why this is true but if the unit has a slow coolant leak the first thing you may notice is a freeze up.
3) Really hot weather and high humidity- although a properly designed system should never freeze up.

Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 11:28 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lx22f/c View Post
If you had it on low and the temp knob on max and high humidity thats when they freeze up.

X-2

9 times out of 10 low fan is the cause of problem with high humidity.
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 11:36 AM   #8

I would check for coolant leak
robert9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 07:37 PM   #9

On my unit we had a similar problem. I found that there is a foam board partition between the air inlet and outlet. This partition is underneath the inside shroud. The partition had moved out of place and caused warm and cold air to mix together and then ice up. I used foil tape to better hold it in place.

2015 Starcraft Travel Star 299BHU Black Pearl Edition
2011 Jayco X23J (traded in)
2013 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew 6.2 Max Tow
7700 GVWR 3.73 E-locker
tslarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 07:53 PM   #10

In our old toy hauler, the Dometic AC would freeze up when it was really hot. Could be a symptom of a couple of things. Basically, the compressor running too long or the hot inlet air flow is too slow. Cutting down the duct flow too slow will do this. So will a temp adjustment too far below the existing ambient air, which makes the compressor run a lot. Could be a bad thermocouple. In our case, the thermocouple got its reading on the coil temp by a CAD plated steel bracket and its spring clip mounting to touch the coil itself. That joint was corroded and made bad physical contact, and needed to be cleaned out and restored to a metal-to-metal contact. I also learned to turn the temp down on the wall thermostat gradually, so the compressor would actually cycle on and off occasionally. Once it was down to temp, we never let it get hot again. Just kept it there. YOu might check that out to be sure it's not just a minor maintenance issue like we had.