Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-31-2016, 03:10 PM   #1

ac issues 195 rb

So i'm outside putting the final touches on the jayco 195rb baja befor the wife gets back so we can go on out first trip in two weeks and i turned on the ac and well all though it does get down to 38 degrees according to my temp gun .the inside is at 81 degrees according to inside temps on a lacrosse temp guage with it running for like 3 hours on high and the outside temp is 91 degrees right now... am i missing something or is the 8000 btu way to small for the trailer?or why is it not cooling down enough?

also how long does the fridge take to cool down when plugged into the wall at the house as mine shows its turned on but after 3 hours being on i opened the door and its not even cool to the touch all most like its not even on.....

i have read about the 13000 btu on the roof providing to much condensation and causing mildew and mold and cycling to much so i didn't go that route and now i'm starting to wonder if i should have....
anothermbdusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 03:28 PM   #2

I'm new to all this myself so I could be giving bad advice but from what I've gathered the fridge will take 4-8 hours minimum to get cold and will start cooling in the freezer first and work its way down. Everyone seems to reccomend plugging it up the day before to give it plenty of time to cool all the way. The trailer also has to be reasonably level for the fridge to work.

The ac I am having my own questions about but I've been told it should blow air that is 15-20 degrees below what the outside air is. Sounds like yours is blowing much colder than mine is but not cooling the trailer as much. We did find that putting a fan in the trailer to help circulate the air more did help...or at least felt like it did.
Old 07-31-2016, 03:28 PM   #3

so i guess the freezer section is getting cold but the regular area is not what so ever is there a vent to open or something or what?
Old 07-31-2016, 03:41 PM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Do some reading in the Fridge Manual and AC/manual what came with your unit or get them online.

Recommended is to plug in the Fridge at least 8 hours before you fill the Fridge.
There's no vent to open on the Fridge. Just set it on auto; First choice will be electric, second propane if available.

A/C units should have a differential of 20 degrees F and will depend on how good the unit is insulated.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 03:49 PM   #5

so 20 degrees colder then outside as if i put my temp probe next to cooler it gets down to like 38-40 degrees on coolest setting and it doesn't seem to be cooling trailer that much compared to outside.... back of trailer is way hot and front bedroom is bearable at best......
Old 07-31-2016, 06:59 PM   #6

We have a 195 as well. This is our 3rd season, and also the hottest weather we've seen in quite a few years.

Average outdoor temp has about 85 F.

Gas or electric, the fridge works the same. If empty it takes about 3 hours to cool to proper temp. The freezer and fridge take the same time. We need to set it at about "4" in the day, but can reduce it to abourt "3" at night. In cooler weather (say October) its set at "3" all the time and cools in less than 2 hours.

Last week it was about 85 in the evening (inside and out) and I turned the 8000 BTU AC on about an hour before going inside. All the windows and door were open. When I went inside (after sundown) the trailer had cooled to 68 F. I turned it off and we stayed cool all night. It was about 68 F in and out the next morning.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 07:57 PM   #7

This is our second season with our 195RB Baja. We have the 8K BTU side-mount A/C and for the most part it does the job. I don't think it circulates the cool air quite as good as the roof-mount units, so we carry a 12V DC 3-speed Fantastic fan for the hotter days. The combination of the two works well. One thing that we noticed on our last trip to the south west in mid-April of this year - the stock window blinds are useless when it comes to reducing the heat coming in the side windows. That has been rectified now with some sun screen inserts for those windows.

As for the fridge performance - we installed a vent fan behind the top access panel on the outside above the condenser unit. It has a thermistor on it and will come on automatically when the temperature increases. Increasing the air flow over the condenser unit will improve the performance of the fridge. In general we have found the fridge works better running on propane but after adding the vent fan there was an improvement when running on A/C as well.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 10:34 AM   #8

so it took the fridge almost 20 hours to cool down which i understand im suppose to start day befor now...never expected it to cool n like a hour or such but that a long time to cool down when plugged in i thought...

as for the ac once the sun was off the ac but still hot outside it cooled down much faster inside to the point of 67 degrees. so i might do a little experiment this week and make a cover that gives a little shade to the A/C unit and see if that helps out during the day....(prop a umbrella up so provide the shade to it, or some cardboard bent around it on three sides to provide shade) then if that works then ill make something longer lasting.....

i want to say thank you very much for the responses and will update this once i get a little more time in on it.. just a little worried is all as this is my first trailer and well we all know how it is when something is new and you want it to be perfect right.... now on to hunting down fans for the vent and covers for them....happy days... cant wait to try during the winter to see how that goes..
Old 08-01-2016, 10:36 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttavasc View Post
This is our second season with our 195RB Baja. We have the 8K BTU side-mount A/C and for the most part it does the job. I don't think it circulates the cool air quite as good as the roof-mount units, so we carry a 12V DC 3-speed Fantastic fan for the hotter days. The combination of the two works well. One thing that we noticed on our last trip to the south west in mid-April of this year - the stock window blinds are useless when it comes to reducing the heat coming in the side windows. That has been rectified now with some sun screen inserts for those windows.

As for the fridge performance - we installed a vent fan behind the top access panel on the outside above the condenser unit. It has a thermistor on it and will come on automatically when the temperature increases. Increasing the air flow over the condenser unit will improve the performance of the fridge. In general we have found the fridge works better running on propane but after adding the vent fan there was an improvement when running on A/C as well.
did you make the window coverings or did you buy them??? if so where did you get them from and are we talking the same stuff that we put into our TV windshield??
Old 08-01-2016, 11:36 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothermbdusted View Post
did you make the window coverings or did you buy them??? if so where did you get them from and are we talking the same stuff that we put into our TV windshield??
My wife made them from an unused set of twist & fold sun shields from a car we no longer have. Here is a link to another thread where I posted a couple pictures:

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f2...tml#post433795

We cut the sun shield material to match the windows, then cut another piece of black fabric to line the back. Small pieces of stick-on velcro are used to attach it to the window frame. As the 195RB has 3 windows this size I picked up another set of the twist & fold sun shields for $8 at Fred Meyer. I think we'll make a screen for the skylight in the bathroom as well.

As for the fridge cool-down in 20 hours - that does seem rather slow. Ours will cool down to the mid-30's in about 4-6 hours depending on the inside temp of the trailer.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote