Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-27-2020, 10:44 AM   #1

Question AC Leak

I have discovered I have a serious water damage issue near my AC unit. There is a portion of the roof downstream from the AC that is very soft. For some reason, I never noticed it until this year, not sure if the leak is new or if it just got bad this last year.

Of course, the RV is now 5 years old, well out of warranty. I doubt insurance would cover this, so I feel like I'm left with 2 options:

1. Pay the $10K or so to replace the roof at a dealer.

2. remove the AC unit, strip back the membrane around that area, patch up the plywood, and then place the membrane back down, sealing the seam with eternabond tape.

My question is: Is option #2 viable, or am I just dreaming? I really can't afford $10K to fix the roof. I've been searching for videos of someone doing this, but I have yet to find any.

I'm afraid to remove the AC unit at this point, what if I can't get it back on because the wood is too damaged?

I fear this thing has been leaking since day one and I just never noticed it. I had no idea before this year that I should have been checking that seal every year.

Help me jayco forum... you're my only hope. I was up since 3:30 this morning couldn't stop worrying about this.

ecksdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 10:58 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecksdude View Post
I
I'm afraid to remove the AC unit at this point, what if I can't get it back on because the wood is too damaged
It will just get worse so I don't think you have a choice. However you should be able to inspect everything without completely removing it. Once you remove the shroud you can remove the cover on the coil and fan to see what may have occurred around the ducting.
Old 08-27-2020, 11:14 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
It will just get worse so I don't think you have a choice. However you should be able to inspect everything without completely removing it. Once you remove the shroud you can remove the cover on the coil and fan to see what may have occurred around the ducting.
I will do that tonight. I removed the shroud already.

I guess my main question is about peeling back the membrane, just replacing 1 or 2 pieces of plywood, and then re-sealing the membrane down. I can't find any information on how I would accomplish this or what to look out for when doing it.

Is it even possible to peel back the membrane without destroying it? If I just cut a large patch out, can I buy a roll of membrane and just replace that patch and seal up with eternabond tape?

I'm pretty handy fixing and building things, I've just never done this before, and I don't want to open it up and find I'm out of my depth!
Old 08-27-2020, 04:02 PM   #4

I would bid the roof repair out elsewhere and ask about the option of patching vs total roof replacement. I am surprised the water has not ruined the ceiling material. You may also consider replacing the insulation as moisture may have caused mold to grow in it. If the roof only feels bad for a few inches or a foot I would consider taking out a much bigger area at least 2 feet past it to get it all in one roof cut and then patching the roof back with Etearnabond.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 04:34 PM   #5

The ceiling looks perfectly normal from inside the trailer. No smells or anything like that, either.

My guess is that it only leaks from the air conditioner when it's running, I don't think rain has been getting in there, or at least, not often, but what do I know?

Calling around and asking about a partial patch vs. full roof is a good idea. I will call a few places before I attempt it myself and see if it can be done for a much lower price. I just can't see dipping into emergency funds for this. I can buy a tarp and wait if I really need to.