Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-11-2016, 07:47 PM   #1

AC wont run

I have a new Jayflight 26bh purchased in may 2016. Ive been using my AC regularly since May and it is now August.

In the past day, the air conditioner breaker in the tt tripped so I reset it. It tripped again shortly thereafter and now the ac unit wont work at all. Also, all inside outlets are dead except the ones in the bunks, the bathroom sink area, and the kitchen ground fault receptacle. Resetting the breaker has no effect.

I have regularly cleaned the return air filters.

Any thoughts?

Richard Smith.
rismith63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 05:41 AM   #2

It's a new trailer still under warranty so I would take it in to be looked at.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 06:02 AM   #3

AC problem.

I agree with Murphie that I will take the tt in for the AC to be checked as it is under warranty. My only hope was there would be something simple to check that im not thinking of as the nearest Jayco dealer is about 200 miles from where i am. I wont be passing by there until i head south to Florida in about two months from the Eastern Upper Peninsula of Michigan.

Since my first post, i have written a more concise description of the problem in case anyone has any other ideas:

Around August 10, i noticed the ac struggling to keep the trailer cool. I opened main vents and closed ceiling vents as well as closing curtains and doors to unused areas and the ac was able to drop the temp. I reopened ceiling vents and closed main vents late afternoon and Ac worked fine that night. Not sure if this was related in any way as the sun was on the tt.

Next day, i noticed the ac had stopped working (as well as all interior receptacles except kictchen GFI, bathroom sink, and bunk receptacles). I reset tt breaker and ac kicked on. Left trailer for maybe an hour and ac was not working on return. If memory serves, it was at this time that i accidentally turned thermostat to heat and the furnace fan came on. Turned to ac and nothing. Have tried resetting breaker since then and no ac, furnace fan or aforementioned receptacles.

Thank You
rismith63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 06:29 AM   #4

Call Jayco and see if they will authorize you to take it to a reputable shop that's closer. I've done this and had no problem getting them to authorize a different shop.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 07:36 AM   #5

First thing I would do is check the quality of your power. Low voltage can cause some serious damage to an AC as well as potentially have caused the other issues you're experiencing. In short, lower voltage causes more amps to be drawn, which causes the breaker to trip. Lots more to this, but that's the short of it. If you don't already have one, recommend you get a cheap multi-meter and check your incoming voltage.

Also, it's not uncommon for ACs to have trouble cooling mid to large size campers when the sun hits the trailer. Too much surface area for a single RV AC to handle, especially when coupled with typically poor insulation.

The outlets are most likely caused by a tripped breaker or a tripped GFCI.
justman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 08:08 AM   #6

I was thinking about this issue for a while wondering what the issue could be. Your description makes it really challenging to diagnose. The AC and the wall outlets are two separate systems, with only one common thing; which is the circuit breaker panel, where they get their power feed.

There are a lot of potential issues. If you are handy at all, I would contact Jayco with your vin number and ask for the wiring diagram. I suspect the two issues are not directly related, but have a similar issue. I suspect you have a couple loose wires.

The AC has a dedicated power line, I would pull the converter box, which has the circuit breakers in it. There is a rats nest of wires behind it. With both the 120V and 12V power disconnected, I would tighten each wire terminal behind the panel. There has been numerous issues with the wires being loose. I suspect do to the nature of campers going down the road and the vibrations of the wires. I suspect this will fix the AC issue.

As for the other wiring, I too suspect a loose wire, but not at the circuit panel, but at one of the outlets. The outlets are daisy chained together. If you have a 30 amp power requirements on your TT, All you outlets are on one circuit breaker, with the first outlet being the GFI in the bathroom. With exception of the microwave outlet. Your refrigerator (120V side) is also on GFI protected branch. Tracking it down without the wiring schematic will be more difficult. This would be a good time to have a multimeter.

Now with the AC, there could be other issues, such as a bad circuit board, or the starter capacitor is shot. I would hope it is a capacitor issue, if it is, it is a cheap easy part to replace. Access is from the roof. The purpose of the capacitor give the motor a momentary jump start of added power to get it spinning. When the motor starts up it pulls a lot of power, if the capacitor is damaged, the motor might be trying to start, and is pulling to much power, and tripping the breaker.

Good luck, this will be a challenge to resolve.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote