Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-03-2019, 06:26 AM   #21

Send a message via AIM to jaycojay Send a message via MSN to jaycojay
Fill the holes with silicone, go to a local sign maker and have him make up a decal large enough to cover, this way you can have a decal of your own liking ( favorite sports team is a great idea)
Old 11-03-2019, 06:57 AM   #22

LOL! Earlier this year, I tried to install additional shelves in our X213 pantry. I drilled a hole on the left side of the pantry, only to realize that there is only a single thin wall on that side. Now, I have a nice hole I can look at from the outside of the pantry to reminding me of my stupidity. Maybe I should put a picture over it .
sciencenerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 08:40 AM   #23

Simple enough to fix with a sealant other than silicone, or bet yet, some epoxy putty.

Finishing it off is the easy part. Put a sticker on it.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 11:43 AM   #24

I poked small holes in our TT mounting a knife holder. I sealed the small holes with Dicore that is not self leveling. I love the put a sticker over it idea!! Thanks all!
Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 12:20 PM   #25

First, silicone is an excellent sealant for the exterior of an RV. You have to use the acetic acid (vinegar smell) curing agent rather than the solvent cured silicone. You can tell by the ingredients and warnings on the label because it states acetic acid. (The solvent based shrinks and should not be used on the exterior, or the interior.). We use the GE silicone. The plastic fender started to come loose because the screws were to tight and broke the skirt around the screw head.. We siliconed the fender skirt onto the skin of the fiver and ran some around the screw head to hold it in place. We also used it to hold the grab bar at the entry door because it kept coming loose. After over a year they are holding very well. The mount for the grab bar does not move at all.

Now for my stupid part. I ran the fiver into the gate at home causing about a six inch by three inch scrape about a half inch deep. I used automobile Bondo to fill in the scrape, sanded it and painted it white. Afterwards I covered it up with a sticker from Amazon. They have a multitude of stickers. Good luck.
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 12:34 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
Silicone will not stick to the rv as it flexes with travel and temperature changes. Also, water can get under silicone so it doesn't do the job for very long.

Read up on sealants on the search bar above in the gold band.
I have a degree in Chemical Engineering and having worked in the industry for 30 years (now retired)...... I'm pretty sure I know more about sealants than I could learn from using a search bar on and RV site!!!! LOL But thanks for the heads up!!!!!

Absolutely no reason not to use silicone on an RV, especially on a small repair such as is the focus of this post. Would I use it to do a large roof repair, probably not as there are far better products out there to do that type of work, but to say that Silicone should never be used on an RV is simply not true!
freetime58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 06:21 PM   #27

https://youtu.be/-0IqaA0KFtU
Old 11-04-2019, 04:35 PM   #28

I decided to drill through the wall between the TV and bedroom so I could run an hdmi cable for satellite. I forgot there was a pocket door.... I told the wife I was installing a peep hole in the door. She failed to see the humor.
hankstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 04:55 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconsfan0894 View Post
Hello folks!

In a moment of sheer stupidity I drilled holes for a wall television mount through the wall of my Jayflight. I now have 4 1/4 inch holes in the side of the trailer and I need both advice and guidance.

I have sealed the holes with flex-seal tape and silicone so I am pretty sure it will leak so I am not worried about that.

What I am concerned about is if I get this repaired by Camping World will it void my Jayco warranty.

Also, Camping World wants $1,500 dollars to fix 4 holes smaller than the tip of my pinkie finger, is it worth it?

If it isn't what be a better way to seal up the holes?

I have covered them with flex tape and sealed over that with clear silicone.

What do you you guys think?

Thanks

Adam
Stay away from Camping World repair
Magic Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 11:22 PM   #30

Lol, been there done that.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 07:29 AM   #31

We punched a nice set of holes when the trailer slid on ice and hit another utility trailer. We were about to set off for 5 weeks in FLorida so we just used 3m black rubber adhesive.

It stayed put over 4000 miles including some crappy snowy and muddy driving. The holes were at the bottom corner of the front too.

When we came home we had our dealer do a proper repair. It was covered by insurance.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 03:33 PM   #32

get some of that eternabond tape. its suppose to be good stuff.
ggilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 03:42 PM   #33

If that's the biggest mistake you make during your RV ownership life you'll be considered a genius .

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 07:42 AM   #34

Closing the slide without someone inside watching to make sure nothing is in the way. Damaged a cabinet with a broom
Magic Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 07:23 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by freetime58 View Post
I have a degree in Chemical Engineering and having worked in the industry for 30 years (now retired)...... I'm pretty sure I know more about sealants than I could learn from using a search bar on and RV site!!!! LOL But thanks for the heads up!!!!!

Absolutely no reason not to use silicone on an RV, especially on a small repair such as is the focus of this post. Would I use it to do a large roof repair, probably not as there are far better products out there to do that type of work, but to say that Silicone should never be used on an RV is simply not true!
Could you use silicone on a car to seal up a leak around the front window?
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 08:18 PM   #36

Silicone is used all over boats to seal stuff around fiberglass. The ocean is a significantly more harsh environment than anything an RV will see.

The right way to repair holes in fiberglass is with a fiberglass repair kit. It's not hard at all.

Order one on Amazon that includes coloring pigments if you can't get it locally. Make up a small test batch to get the color right before doing it to your camper. You WILL have to clean out 100% of the silicone from the holes before patching. You can use a dremel for that. It doesn't matter if you make the holes slightly bigger since you will be patching it correctly.
Marshfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 08:25 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsmjim View Post
Could you use silicone on a car to seal up a leak around the front window?

You would most likely need a Urethane based adhesive/sealer to do that job.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:49 AM   #38

Quote:
You would most likely need a Urethane based adhesive/sealer to do that job.
Yeah, that's right. The acetic acid in the silicone would dissolve the paint and peel it down to bare metal.

So, what's different about the paint on a car vs. the paint on a tin-sided RV?
Old 11-08-2019, 11:48 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsmjim View Post
yeah, that's right. The acetic acid in the silicone would dissolve the paint and peel it down to bare metal.

So, what's different about the paint on a car vs. The paint on a tin-sided rv?

huh!!!!!!!!
Old 11-08-2019, 12:34 PM   #40

Quote:
huh!!!!!!!!
huh what?

You don't believe the paint peel issue, or you don't know what the paint difference is?