Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-20-2021, 07:55 PM   #1

Add a spare tire carrier

I purchased a 2015 Jayco Feather Ultra Lite X17-Z last year and didn't get to use it much. Now that I'm traveling I find that the previous owner's solution for carrying the spare tire isn't working for me. Normally, the spare is carried under the hitch on a dropdown bar that is held in place with a hasp and pin. The tire would ride comfortably under the propane tanks and battery. However, the previous owner installed an EZ equalizer hitch which obstructs the factory installed tire carrier. He carried the tire in the trailer on the floor.

I am looking for a rear mounted tire carrier and find conflicting/confusing info. The bumper has a sticker saying not to mount after market accessories on the bumper while the Jayco manual says it is safe to add a 100 pound (45 KG) accessory. The carriers have seen weigh less than 20 pounds and the tire and wheel weigh about 45 pounds. Seems safe enough.

But on several sites I have seen horror stories (with supporting videos) of entire bumpers coming off while driving. I don't want to lose my bumper, tire and all or worse cause an accident.

Has anyone had experience with my proposed solution or can offer some insight.

Thanks in advance.

Larrie
Larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 08:43 PM   #2

Most rear bumpers are thin metal and are rated 100 lbs. max. My spare and spare holder are probably 55 to 65 total and I have not had problems with some very rough roads. In fact, parts of the cabinets split or shifted inside and every door popped open.

I would not add more weight then the factory already loaded with this spare without reinforcing the bumper or mount. A local welding company can easily reinforce the bumper spare mount if you are worried.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote