Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-12-2018, 09:02 AM   #1

Add a Thermal Package - 4 Seasons Package

Is it possible to convert a TT to a Thermal Package/4 Season package? Has anyone done this and had good luck. Where do I start?
DMobley232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 09:35 AM   #2

If your underbelly isn’t enclosed, the first thing to do is get some coroplast to enclose it. Plus, you can add insulation under the floor.

Then, think about running a heater duct into the underbelly or add some tank heating pads.

Other than that, there isn’t too much else I can think you’ll be able to do without extensive remodeling....ie, double pane windows, extra “attic” insulation, etc.

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 09:58 AM   #3

Add a Thermal Package - 4 Seasons Package

Like Tom said you can add insulation and enclose the underbelly but you won’t be able to easily add insulation to the other places the thermal package does...

I have the the thermal package and honestly can’t recall what all the build differences are but it does help...

If you haven’t bought a camper yet, I would definitely buy/order one that already has it. If you already have one, insulate what you can...
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 10:00 AM   #4

What Magnolia Tom and SouthCo said. IMO, Jayco's 'Thermal Package' is primarily the enclosed underbelly and the heat duct into the underbelly to keep the water stuff from freezing.

Jayco also includes some kind of 'foil' in the roof and slideout floor in their thermal package, but IMO the additional insulation R-valve for the foil would be minimal at best.

The standard thermal package does not include thermal pane windows. I believe thermal pane windows are an option on higher priced TTs.

Some folks here do use their units year 'round. Maybe you could ask a more specific question regarding where you're thinking about spending the winter months. Spending a night in 20degF weather is different than spending days where the highs are always below freezing.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 07:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
What Magnolia Tom and SouthCo said. IMO, Maybe you could ask a more specific question regarding where you're thinking about spending the winter months. Spending a night in 20degF weather is different than spending days where the highs are always below freezing.
Good Point. I don't plan to use the TT year round, only till about the end of October to middle of November. To be even more specific, the typically temperature I would experience would be mid 40's during the day, with lows in the mid 20's during night and early morning. Hopefully that helps, and I appreciate your response.
Old 10-13-2018, 07:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
If your underbelly isn’t enclosed, the first thing to do is get some coroplast to enclose it. Plus, you can add insulation under the floor.

Then, think about running a heater duct into the underbelly or add some tank heating pads.

Other than that, there isn’t too much else I can think you’ll be able to do without extensive remodeling....ie, double pane windows, extra “attic” insulation, etc.
I was just thinking the underbelly parts, I am not worried or concerned about the inside/double pane windows, etc..
Old 11-25-2019, 01:31 PM   #7

Thermal pane windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
IMO, Jayco's 'Thermal Package' is primarily the enclosed underbelly and the heat duct into the underbelly to keep the water stuff from freezing.

Jayco also includes some kind of 'foil' in the roof and slideout floor in their thermal package, but IMO the additional insulation R-valve for the foil would be minimal at best.

The standard thermal package does not include thermal pane windows. I believe thermal pane windows are an option on higher priced TTs.
When we ordered our Jayco 5'r from the factory, we opted for dual pane frameless windows - they didn't refer to them as "thermal". It seems they're not built like a thermal window on a house with gas as an insulator. It's just 2 pieces of glass instead of 1. What we found out by accident was on our last vacation, we caught a rock from an 18 wheeler on the highway. Busted the dining room window - looked like stained glass/cobwebs! Luckily, the inside piece of glass was untouched and kept the camper sealed up. So we'll call it "insurance".

We got the standard "all season" package as well which is just the underbelly cover and the heat duct blows into that area to keep things from freezing, plus they use PEX tubing now. We'll be putting her to the test as we'll be staying in our 5'r for the next few months during the winter season.

I'm wondering if I still need a skirt or some kind of heat wire for the city water feed? We'll be in Austin, Texas - so I don't imagine it'll get under freezing too often. Suggestions?
Old 11-25-2019, 02:30 PM   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
It is a matter of using common sense. PEX tubing will expand, but plastic elbows, connections and valves don't have much room for expansion. Frost for a couple of hours won't do much damage but constant frost will.

For example a drain valve from the FW water tank by -18 C (-0 F) will freeze and will break if you turn it. But if you'll wait till it un-thaws there might be no harm to the valve.

Hint for plastic valves when leaking: All of them can be taken apart and have an O-ring. Assemble it with Vaseline and they are as new again. Same for faucets in RV's
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote