Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-24-2019, 06:22 AM   #1

Add water tank or other options

Hey all. Some of you may have seen my prices paid thread. Well, depending if its available, I may have stumbled upon a decently price used private seller 2017 267bhsw. It's not a Rocky mountain edition, so it'll likely be without the extra 40 gallon water tank, and electric/dsi water heater, and heated underbelly, which all would be great.

Anybody out there ever add one of these after buying their trailer? The most important would be the extra freshwater tank. Curious if it was doable, and if anyone knew what it cost to do. I'm sure I'm more than capable of installing one if it's possible to get the stuff.
Trippy1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 07:54 AM   #2
Site Team

Most anything is doable. Most rv's with large fresh tanks have 2 that are tied together so it would be a simple matter of some piping and finding a place to put the additional tank. IMO

I would not want to do it! I might just keep looking for what I wanted.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 08:07 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trippy1313 View Post
I may have stumbled upon a decently price used private seller 2017 267bhsw. It's not a Rocky mountain edition, so it'll likely be without the extra 40 gallon water tank, and electric/dsi water heater, and heated underbelly, which all would be great.

Anybody out there ever add one of these after buying their trailer? The most important would be the extra freshwater tank. Curious if it was doable, and if anyone knew what it cost to do. I'm sure I'm more than capable of installing one if it's possible to get the stuff.
I'm thinking if the same model in the Rocky mountain edition has the extra 40 gallon tank the space is already there on the non Rocky mountain edition. Measure the current 40 gallon tank and get one the same size to install. You'll have to plumb them together at the bottom of each tank. My Eagle has twin 40's and that's how they did it. Nice having 80 gallons of fresh water on board and it'll last me 5 days with taking full showers etc. Good luck.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 09:48 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNashville View Post
I'm thinking if the same model in the Rocky mountain edition has the extra 40 gallon tank the space is already there on the non Rocky mountain edition. Measure the current 40 gallon tank and get one the same size to install. You'll have to plumb them together at the bottom of each tank. My Eagle has twin 40's and that's how they did it. Nice having 80 gallons of fresh water on board and it'll last me 5 days with taking full showers etc. Good luck.

Kinda how I feel. We just had our third child, and while right now they oldest is only 4 years old... well.... they're kids, so they're messy... and they're ALL girls! So we're a family of 5, with 4 females....

I'm gonna probably need more water. Hahaha.
Old 02-24-2019, 10:34 AM   #5

Add water tank or other options

Quote:
Kinda how I feel. We just had our third child, and while right now they oldest is only 4 years old... well.... they're kids, so they're messy... and they're ALL girls! So we're a family of 5, with 4 females....

I can take trips with my 3 boys, and 40 gallons lasts us a whole week. When I bring my wife and 2 daughters I have to bring another 40 gallons in totes in the bed. 4 days is the longest we have ever made it without running in for more water. Girls use way more water.
We’ve thought seriously about an upgrade several times just for more water capacity. One of the girls is 17(off to college soon), and the 14 yr old plays comp volleyball which means she can rarely go with us. Doesn’t make much sense to replace a paid for trailer for kids who can’t/won’t go with us.
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 11:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBlackDak View Post
I can take trips with my 3 boys, and 40 gallons lasts us a whole week. When I bring my wife and 2 daughters I have to bring another 40 gallons in totes in the bed. 4 days is the longest we have ever made it without running in for more water. Girls use way more water.
We’ve thought seriously about an upgrade several times just for more water capacity. One of the girls is 17(off to college soon), and the 14 yr old plays comp volleyball which means she can rarely go with us. Doesn’t make much sense to replace a paid for trailer for kids who can’t/won’t go with us.
Well... you just kinda proved my thinking. Girls use more water. Lol. And yeah. It doesn't totally make sense to buy a totally different trailer JUST for more water. But if it's a reasonable possibility to add a tank, that'd be fantastic. Another 40 gallons is what... 320lbs? But if you're already hauling extra totes you'd probably end up with more storage space.
Old 02-24-2019, 12:37 PM   #7
Site Team

If your grey water capacity will hold all that. If not the extra water will have to be dumped.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 01:46 PM   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Many RV's are so close to their maximum weight ratings under normal use, adding a tank is not an good option even if you can find a place where it is well balanced for weight.
Hauling water from an CG water tap is an good exercise for anyone (joy of camping).
If Boon dogging than you have to haul extra through means of the truck bed. I use the gallon bottles in milk crates, easy to handle and milk crates are stackable.
Gallon Milk bottles are stronger than water bottles, to clean a milk bottle use water and vinegar and shake well.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 02:07 PM   #9

I have 90gal of fresh capacity on my trailer and we use every bit of it. I couldn't ever be with a single small tank. We have 2 little kids that have a bath together every evening before bed, and we shower, do dishes, etc. Love having the big tanks. A full load of water weighs 747lbs so I have to budget that into my 2000lb trailer payload. I have towed with full water before too.

From what I've seen underneath, it wouldn't be too difficult to add another tank. They are held up in place with steel strapping and the plumbing doesn't look too complicated either. You would have to drop your existing tank in order to get the fittings installed to tie the two together.
Old 02-24-2019, 02:53 PM   #10

Quote:

Much much bigger bathroom!

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 10:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
Many RV's are so close to their maximum weight ratings under normal use, adding a tank is not an good option even if you can find a place where it is well balanced for weight.
Since the Rocky mountain version of this same trailer has the extra tank I don't think this would be an issue.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 12:05 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNashville View Post
Since the Rocky mountain version of this same trailer has the extra tank I don't think this would be an issue.
My thoughts exactly. And with the grey water issue, I figure we'd likely try to use the outside shower as much as logical.

I believe the rocky mountain edition still had +1200lbs of cargo weight that could be used... so... 80 gallons total is what... 640lbs, so... roughly 560 pounds of cargo... seems like enough to me? Is it common to load more than 500 pounds of junk in the trailer?
Old 02-25-2019, 08:52 AM   #13

Very common I would say, for a mid sized trailer servicing a family. We added about 1,000lbs of extras as per the trailer's sticker vs the CAT scale measurement. I think sometimes we are even a bit higher than that too, including food and drinks, clothes, bikes, etc.
Old 02-25-2019, 09:24 AM   #14

It adds up quickly. Stocked kitchen, paper goods, linens, outdoor chairs/tables, extra propane, umbrellas, shade tent, games/books/crafts for the kids, camp chef and/or charcoal grill with related accessories, Dutch oven, generator. Full fresh water tanks. Bikes/kayaks/etc. fishing gear? Everyone has a different base load out, so it’s hard to tell.

The variables make a big difference when it’s more than a couple people. 2 nights to 7 nights could mean hundreds of extra pounds:
Clothes-heavier for spring/fall than mid summer.
Food, drinking water. Is it a long trip, and you have to fill the fridge and cooler(s)?
Generator fuel
Firewood

I have several friends that travel close to the edge, and will wait until they’re near the destination to fill the fresh water.
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 09:49 AM   #15
Site Team

Not an option for everyone, but when we are boondocking for extended periods, I use a 210 gal in bed water tank to carry extra water. Between that and a waste tote, we can go quite a long time.

https://www.ntotank.com/210gallon-no...QaAq2uEALw_wcB
Midnightmoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 09:25 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
Not an option for everyone, but when we are boondocking for extended periods, I use a 210 gal in bed water tank to carry extra water. Between that and a waste tote, we can go quite a long time.

https://www.ntotank.com/210gallon-no...QaAq2uEALw_wcB
210 gallon? Now that's a water tank!
Old 02-27-2019, 04:46 AM   #17

There is room for a second tank in front of the factory installed tank. I just hung my spare tire in that space, so I spent a little time under there recently. Both tanks will be forward of your axles, so full tanks will change the weight dynamic/distribution of the trailer considerably.
There may also be room for a second tank aft of the factory (which would be directly above the axles), but I did not pay close attention to that area this go around.
K2tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 06:54 PM   #18

With a bumper pull trailer, all you have to do is get a Ford F 450 dually 4 door long bed truck and you will have plenty of room and hauling capacity. And having 4 girls will be no problem..
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 08:10 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by K2tiger View Post
There is room for a second tank in front of the factory installed tank. I just hung my spare tire in that space, so I spent a little time under there recently. Both tanks will be forward of your axles, so full tanks will change the weight dynamic/distribution of the trailer considerably.
There may also be room for a second tank aft of the factory (which would be directly above the axles), but I did not pay close attention to that area this go around.
The tanks are in front of the axles??? That sucks. I'm going to have to upgrade my truck sooner than I thought. I'll be having probably over 1,200lbs of tongue weight then with the water full. Possibly more.