Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-27-2015, 02:54 AM   #1

Adding lighting to storage compartment

I have a 2015 Jay Flight SLX 264BHW and would like to add LED lighting in the storage compartments. What have you guys done? Would my best bet be to run a line right off the battery to feed the front and back storage areas or should I see about tapping into the fuse panel? I'd also like to add an LED light strip under my awning so I thought about doing a dedicated circuit for all 3. Thoughts?
andrewjsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 09:09 PM   #2

Camping world sells a Led light that has 6 led that I put in the storage area. It is about 7-8 inches long and the light are in a single line. Don't have the number but it works great. Uses AA batterys
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 10:28 PM   #3

See my signature line. I tapped into an existing power line that went through the water heat compartment. It took a bit of tracking to determine what it was for. You can contact Jayco with your Vin number and the will send you a wiring diagram.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 12:16 AM   #4

When I did this to my trailer I ran new wires from the fuse panel to the compartments. And then from the rear compartment to the led strip below the awning. Always good to have it connected to a fuse.

Happy camping.
Kipor 3500 watt inverter generator.
Dual 6-volt batteries - 1500 watt pure sine inverter
LED lights everywhere
apscubaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 07:11 AM   #5

I added a couple of the battery-operated "hockey puck" style lights to my front storage area. Work great, and if I forget to turn one off, it just runs down the 2-AAA batteries inside; not my expensive trailer battery. As for the LED awning light strip: I bought an 18' solar operated, warm white strip from Menards last year. I mounted it in the clear plastic "C-channel" mounting strips - come with double-sided mounting tape that stuck well to the fiberglass trailer side (just under the awning). Spliced in about 10' of wire (so the 3" x 3" x 1/2" solar panel could set on my battery box while camped out), and ran the wire down the front awning channel. Coil it up and store it in the front pass-thru during travel. Just to make sure the lights didn't come out of the channel during travel, I put a dab of clear silicone caulk about every 1' along the channel.

A day's charge in a shady campsite (or on a cloudy day) lasts about 4 hours. In a sunny campground (on a sunny day) the charge will last all night. Didn't have to track down or tap into any wires; come on automatically at dusk; nice warm-white color (not that blue/cool white that makes everyone look ill); and provide just the right amount of light for sitting around the campfire. Best of all, I bought the light strip on sale for less than $20!
Old 03-28-2015, 07:37 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
I added a couple of the battery-operated "hockey puck" style lights to my front storage area. Work great, and if I forget to turn one off, it just runs down the 2-AAA batteries inside; not my expensive trailer battery.
Same here. Added 2 push button stick on LED puck lights [$4 from Menards] to each storage compartment. Lights it up really well and still going strong after 3 years.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 08:56 AM   #7
Site Team

I picked these motion sensor ULTRA BRIGHT LED lights at COSTCO the other day (around $19 for the 2). They are really bright, and each light works on 4 'AA" batteries (also came with unit)

They have:
- Switch for On/Off/Auto (will use auto mode)
- Switch for 20/60/90 second timed lighting
- LED section can be tilted/twisted
- Motion sensor can be tilted
- Mounting bracket for each, lights can slide out of bracket and be used like a flashlight.

These are for enclosed areas, as they are not water proof. Originally purchased them for the outside under the stairs, but now they will be used in the front/rear storage areas.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
LED Motion Sensor Lights.jpg  
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote