Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-09-2019, 09:00 PM   #1

Advice for X254 JAY FEATHER Bed support

I have the King bed that slides out the back. When the bed is slide in for travel it has a very low weight restriction. Has anyone every modified any supports so you can sleep on the bed with it slide inside. I want to use the slide out in parking lots etc...
Mustang828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 09:30 PM   #2

I have an idea for how to support my travel trailer's main bed, but in your case I can't quite picture it.
Perhaps you could upload a photo ?
The photo uploading part is way down at the bottom of the Edit/Writing page.
Old 12-09-2019, 10:09 PM   #3

I have the 2016 X254 and was told by the dealer when we purchased it that the bed had a slide in support of 200 pounds and a slide out support of 1,200 pounds. I've never considered using my bed in the slide in position only because I pile a bunch of crap on it during transport that does not exceed the 200-pound limit. I don't think it would take much more than some 2x4s that could be constructed to support the end that hangs out in the air like a cantilever.

I checked and I did not have any slide in pictures but here's the outside and inside with the slide out. Perhaps I can look a bit closer at that idea and give you a more accurate answer.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20191209-230027_Photos.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	55238Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20191209-230223_Photos.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	55239

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 10:18 PM   #4

So just to make sure, by slide in, you mean the bed's retracted back into the trailer, right ? That's when it can't take as much weight.

If that's the case, yeh, a couple of vertical supports would probably do it - even 2x2's - although I'd want to actually see how it cantilevers to make sure.
I don't suppose there's any room under the bed, so that you could make thin legs of plywood that would fold up under the bed when not being used.

What about a piece of EMT metal conduit that went horizontally from one side to the other, landing in brackets on each side - like the way a shower pole is installed, but removable in this case. Kinda brainstorming here.
Old 12-09-2019, 10:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbarb View Post
So just to make sure, by slide in, you mean the bed's retracted back into the trailer, right ? That's when it can't take as much weight.

If that's the case, yeh, a couple of vertical supports would probably do it - even 2x2's - although I'd want to actually see how it cantilevers to make sure.
I don't suppose there's any room under the bed, so that you could make thin legs of plywood that would fold up under the bed when not being used.

What about a piece of EMT metal conduit that went horizontally from one side to the other, landing in brackets on each side - like the way a shower pole is installed, but removable in this case. Kinda brainstorming here.
Yes, slide in is when it's retracted. A horizontal bar would have some merit but I'd probably still favor vertical supports under the bar instead of trying to secure it to a cupped bracket hanging on the wall. I also wonder if the area that the bed cantilevers from is designed to be weight bearing, regardless of what support I might put at the other end.

I've got my trailer in storage two miles away. I may stop out tomorrow since there are a few things in it I want to get out. I'm going to crawl under the slide (bed) where the dining table would normally sit and see if I can snap a few pictures to weigh in a bit more intelligently on this. I could benefit from this as well.

Jerry B.
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
Old 12-09-2019, 10:57 PM   #6

The reason I was thinking of the horizontal pole is because it seems it would be a little easier to drop in place, vs attaching legs somehow. Just an idea anyway.

But if the thing is cantilevered outside when in normal use, and the "field" part of the bed can handle the weight, it would seem that that field part could handle the weight in either position, but I'm not there.
Maybe it only slides out half way, so in that position it's supported mid-span ?

What about when it's retracted in - is it completely cantilevered with no mid-span support ? Let us know.
Old 12-09-2019, 11:01 PM   #7

Also, when retracting in, it looks like it slides over the top of the pillows on each side.
Perhaps you could temporarily remove those and stick something solid in their place ?
Again I'm not there so just guessing.
Old 12-11-2019, 07:44 AM   #8

Looks like the best option is to make some supports. I can store them easily under the bench seats when not in use.
Mustang828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 02:55 PM   #9

Here's some pics I took yesterday of the underside of the king bed in my X254 with the slide in (retracted). I think a 2x4 support system would work nicely. I think the "field" hardware on the support end of the bed would hold its own with the 2x4s at the other end. Attachment 55246Attachment 55247Click image for larger version

Name:	20191210_161659.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	55248Click image for larger version

Name:	20191210_161752.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	55249Click image for larger version

Name:	20191210_161742.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	55250

Jerry B.
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
Old 12-11-2019, 11:35 PM   #10

2x4s would work - you could make them such that they'd fit right under those slider rails/beams/supports - whatever they're called.
You could put a block at the top of each 2x4 that would sort of clip in to the end of those rails, or some other kind of bracket.

For my taste, 2x4s wouldn't quite be elegant enough of a solution, but that's just me.
I'd probably make some kind of hinged bracket that would swing down or up from the wall, or up from one of the lower cabinets, sort of like the idea of a shelf support.. The intention being that they'd swing under the rails.
The rails are really what support the bed, and all you need to do is support the inner ends of them.
Old 12-12-2019, 10:51 AM   #11

How about a couple adjustable aluminum twist lock rods. Similar to a shower curtain rod
deano is offline   Reply With Quote