Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-26-2019, 10:28 AM   #1

Advice on ditching the gas oven

I can't stand the oven! I have to use a lighter to start the pilot light & the thing heats up the cabin, cooks like chit also. I'm thinking of removing the entire cook station & replacing it with a convection /micro wave & using a convection cooktop setup instead of the gas unit. I can than remove the overhead microwave & utilize it for more storage. Its a jayfeather 25 BH unit. Anyone do this swap??? I can always use the BBQ for gas cooking out doors.
robert9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 01:26 PM   #2

I have seen some use the built-in oven only for storing pots and pans. But other cooks I know would hate to lose it, however, if only because they “might want to use it” someday.
We solved that by getting a Camp Chef portable camp oven with two burners also on top. The oven can reach 400 deg F and works from a 1lb propane bottle, unless you add a hose to a tank like I did. (Camp Chef model #COVEN) A small griddle can also be used to work with the burners. It is quite handy when placed on the end of a picnic table, and it keeps all the heat outside. And we have used it to bake muffins and cupcakes while cooking dinner on top. That is my idea of roughing it!
Homersimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 02:25 PM   #3

I did the change out about 4 years ago and the wave is the same width as the oven so it just slips right in. The wave is on its own circuit so I just pulled the wire down and put a box in the back to plug it in. I did switch the front grills out, put the wider one on the bottom so I could get the wave as high as I could.
I doubled my pantry space by doing this as this opening is much deeper and higher than the wave. For the door I found a used cabinet door and took out the oak insert and replaced it with glass to match what’s on the other side wall. Sanded and stained it to match as close as I could.
We have 2 butane portable burners that are the best all around cooking units because they can go outside on the table when need be or take it to the beach or the party next door. When the power went out at the house this was easy to use. Sorry about the pic don’t know how that happened!
Attached Thumbnails
BF963AD3-0F30-4204-8D4A-563B4697F325.jpg  
Old 05-26-2019, 02:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert9999 View Post
I can't stand the oven! I have to use a lighter to start the pilot light & the thing heats up the cabin, cooks like chit also. I'm thinking of removing the entire cook station & replacing it with a convection /micro wave & using a convection cooktop setup instead of the gas unit. I can than remove the overhead microwave & utilize it for more storage. Its a jayfeather 25 BH unit. Anyone do this swap??? I can always use the BBQ for gas cooking out doors.

We did that to ours. We never used to oven for anything except storage. See the mods to 377 thread

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 04:56 PM   #5

That looks so much better & functional than what they stuff in these units. I want the convection oven/micro in the bottom & found a nice duel conduction top that will fit nicely on the top. Just not sure about the electrical set up as the only existing power line is for the microwave. I will need a 2 plug outlet (one for the conduction plate & one for the convection/microwave). I'm not sure if the existing line can handle the power draw without tripping the circuit breaker. I think the existing microwave is a 900 watt unit. I could pull a wire from the double outlet next to the sink if need be.
robert9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 05:01 PM   #6

Why use it at all? All it does is smell up the camper. Use a portable BBQ outside and be done with it. No need to spend money.
Old 05-26-2019, 08:37 PM   #7

In the 7 years I've owned my camper, the oven has never been used and probably never will be. Once I thought about making a frozen pizza but naw, I'd just screw it up. Nice for bread etc, storage though.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 08:41 PM   #8

I don't like the lighting procedure but use ours fairly often. DW won't though. I'm impressed with the accuracy of the temperature.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 09:01 PM   #9

We added a pizza stone to ours and it helped even the heat by killing the hot spot from the gas burner. Also acts as a heat sink and keeps the temps from swinging a lot.
ASTMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 09:26 PM   #10

If you only have 30 amp in your TT you can add an additional 20 amps with a Marinco plug. That should give you all the extra power you need. Several of us have added this extra plugin.
Attached Thumbnails
9A834DA6-46EC-412B-A954-76649ABB1644.jpg  
Old 05-27-2019, 05:42 PM   #11

I use a toaster oven. It fits on the cabinet and works great for anything I need. I'd rather not go to the trouble of deleting the oven, but I sure don't use it.