Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-03-2020, 08:28 PM   #1

Advice on Fixing Floor

Hi all, I am new here and my wife and I just purchased a used 1 owner 2012 Jayco Swift SLX 184 BH. I've done a few things to it already like swapping to LED lights on the inside and outside both and replaced some small broken parts (water drain, electric panel latch, broken awning handle, twistlock cord conversion).

Anyway, my issue I am having I came across yesterday. We were de-winterizing it and I started filling the fresh water tank and noticed water slowly dripping from the fill tube. I looked on top of the tube and there is literally a pinhole on the top of the pipe that I am almost certain was probably there when the camper was new. I then put my hand on the floor underneath where the water was dripping. The floor is like a sponge about 2 feet along the outer edge and from the edge inward about 6 to 8 inches. Is this something that would be easy to fix? Or should I just leave it alone since there is no foot traffic there? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
sabbotage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 03:09 PM   #2

You absolutely do NOT want to leave it alone. If you do, the damage from the water will continue to spread. The damage is most likely from dry rot, which is a living organism with the ability to channel the water with it as it grows into new, healthy wood. It consumes the cellulose, i think its the cellulose, which weakens the structure if the wood and will eventually turn it to little pieces that look like burned out cinders. As long as it has enough moisture, it will continue to grow and cause further damage. Cutting off its water source will cause it to go dormant and/or generate a flowering body to produce countless spores.

First off, you need to stop the leak. Next you need to assess the damage that its caused, so far. You can do this by poking the wood with a sharp object like a screwdriver or such. If it penetrates easily, the wood there is damaged. Find where it stops, and assess whether or not you can fix it yourself, or whether you need a shop. If you do it yourself, you need to remove all the affected wood and then a bit further into unaffected wood just to be sure. Once the rotted wood is removed, you need to treat the area with a mold killer. There's several kinds. Bleach or vinegar work, as do the many commercially available mold killers. i opted to make my own from antifreeze, boric acid, and borax. Treat the area and let it dry, thoroughly. Then simply replace what you removed. Easier said than done as everything in a trailer seems to take 5 times longer than you think.

Definitely do NOT leave the rotten area there. It needs to be adressed ASAP!
Thrushgar is offline   Reply With Quote