Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-27-2016, 10:02 PM   #1

Aftermarket hitch receiver for Jay Flight??

Is it possible to put a hitch receiver on a Jay Flight? I know that certain models can be ordered with one but the one we're looking at on a dealer lot (32BHDS) does not have it.

Need it for a bike rack we would like to use. What would some other options be for hanging bikes off the back if we can't use our rack that mounts into a hitch reciever.

Oh, and where does the spare tire go? Can it be moved off to the side?
towm8ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 05:33 AM   #2

Tow,

The dealer can order the hitch seperately. We did that ourselves.

Otherwise a welder could build one to bolt onto the hitch mounting tabs pretty easy.

Do not buy a bumper mount receiver hitch!!! They can and will twist some, if not most bumper eventually.

I did move the spare tire over to the left. But that is another mod on my list to modify the spare tire holder. Want it to sit above the bumper, hopefully centered on the trailer. Reaso being is I am considering mounting a back up/ monitor camera just above the spare tire to keep an eye on the bikes and crazy traffic. Probably wired or a remote transmitter model that the transmitter is mounted by the propane tanks....

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 07:02 AM   #3

If you are going to use a hitch-mounted bike rack, I wouldn't use anything other than this hitch.

One option that I used for a few years on my previous TT that worked just fine for 4 bikes was this rack (it also comes in a 2-bike version). It spreads the weight out over a very wide area of the bumper, as opposed to all the force being applied in one small area. Just make sure that your bumper is either a full square tube, or if it is welded, the welds are solid and cover the entire length of the bumper.

jasoncw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:05 AM   #4

32BHDs should have two "ears" on the frame, which are the mounting tabs for an aftermarket hitch. No need to worry about the twisting of the back bumper, because the 32BHDS can take a "real" hitch.

Also, the spare tire should have been mounted underneath the trailer by the factory. There's a factory option for that, you may be able to get that hoist system sent to you after the fact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew 4x4 Duramax
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 12:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasoncw View Post
If you are going to use a hitch-mounted bike rack, I wouldn't use anything other than this hitch.
This looks perfect, thanks! I asked the dealer for a quote for the Jacyco factory hitch but I expect they'll come back with a price higher than the CURT via etrailer.com. Think I read that one was only rated for 300 pounds of weight while the CURT is rated at 350.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbailey View Post
32BHDs should have two "ears" on the frame, which are the mounting tabs for an aftermarket hitch. No need to worry about the twisting of the back bumper, because the 32BHDS can take a "real" hitch.
I noticed those and wondered if that was what they were for...thanks for verifying that for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbailey View Post
Also, the spare tire should have been mounted underneath the trailer by the factory. There's a factory option for that, you may be able to get that hoist system sent to you after the fact.
On the units I've looked at, the tires are all mounted on the back bumper. I may look into mounting it underneath if moving the tire off to the side doesn't give enough clearance with the bikes.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:46 PM   #7

I believe it was for '16 that Jayco no longer is mounting the spare tire underneath. All the '16 Flights we looked at had the bumper mount spare. I don't recall there being an option listed in the website when we started shopping in June, '15.

I think the dealer told us the factory Jayco hitch was $210 if I remember right last July. Though the price may have changed since then.

Old 07-28-2016, 12:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post
I think the dealer told us the factory Jayco hitch was $210 if I remember right last July. Though the price may have changed since then.
That's a bit cheaper than the CURT one mentioned earlier...do you happen to know the weight rating of the factory hitch?
Old 07-28-2016, 01:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by towm8ter View Post
That's a bit cheaper than the CURT one mentioned earlier...do you happen to know the weight rating of the factory hitch?
I think it is 300lbs as you posted.

Old 07-28-2016, 05:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post
I believe it was for '16 that Jayco no longer is mounting the spare tire underneath. All the '16 Flights we looked at had the bumper mount spare. I don't recall there being an option listed in the website when we started shopping in June, '15.

Man that stinks! I've thankfully never had to drop the spare, but I probably should investigate it... There's probably a reason they stopped hanging spares.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew 4x4 Duramax
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 07:21 PM   #11

When we brought out 2016 28BHBE, the trailer beside the one we brought had the factory receiver installed and bolted to the frame. We told the dealer we wanted one on ours. The dealer gave us that one (the receiver, since he didn't have any available) and ordered another one to install on the trailer he took ours off of. We haul 5 bikes on it with no issues. Yes, it is rated for 300 pounds. Yes, we moved the spare tire about 12" to the right so the bikes fit on the rack better.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 07:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by towm8ter View Post
Is it possible to put a hitch receiver on a Jay Flight? I know that certain models can be ordered with one but the one we're looking at on a dealer lot (32BHDS) does not have it.

Need it for a bike rack we would like to use. What would some other options be for hanging bikes off the back if we can't use our rack that mounts into a hitch reciever.

Oh, and where does the spare tire go? Can it be moved off to the side?
My 2016 29BHDS came with it "factory installed" and its a Lippert Components 2" Accessory Receiver, the manual was inside my information pack. Others are right, its just bolted onto angle iron that was mounted on the frame. I think it has a 300lb rating.

ProPride 3P

jsallman1 is offline   Reply With Quote