Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-01-2015, 09:27 PM   #1

Air conditioner concern

Hi All!

I searched the forums but didn't see anything about this A/C issue in particular, so I thought I'd ask here. I have a Jayco 287 BHSW and the A/C acted up today. The unit was set on high cool yet the fan was running slow and there is just a hint of cool air coming out of the vents. I noticed there was also no water dripping on the outside like there usually is.

After turning off all of the circuit breakers, I fired the unit back up to hi cool. The fan was able to pick up speed and the the AC worked fine. I also noticed a steady stream of water dripping on the side of the unit which eventually slowed down to the normal drip. After a few hours, same scenario...fan slowed down and barely a hint of cold air. Any ideas? Could it be a low voltage thing, or is it icing up? This is a brand new unit and our third trip out. Thanks!
iurv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 10:20 PM   #2

It sounds like that where ever you were you may of been experiencing a brown out . Did you have troubles with other electrical appliances. Or were you running the fridge and the hot water tank at the same time as the air? You may of been experiencing a low voltage problem.
outofhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 09:33 AM   #3

Sounds like you are having a/c freeze up problems. Check the evaporator coils and see if they are freezing up. Can come from having vents closed and restricting airflow.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 02:19 PM   #4

It sounds like freeze up of the evaporator coil, which can be caused by low air flow, but also is a symptom of low refrigerant levels. As ice forms in the coils, air flow is restricted so ice build up happens even faster. If the problem persists I would have the unit checked.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:06 PM   #5

If it's voltage related the compressor should shut down and just the fan should run,if you think it is freezing up turn the ac off and just run the fan on high,it will suck in the warm air from trailer and will help thaw the coil faster than just letting it thaw by natural heat.Could be multiple things,make sure all vents are open and you have air flow thru them,check filter make sure if it was wrapped in plastic as some come they took it off andyou are in fact getting air thru.If it still persists have dealer check Freon level,low level will cause freeze up

2015 Jayco Eagle Premier 314BHDS

IBEW local 94 Electrical Worker
314BHDS is offline   Reply With Quote