Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-13-2016, 08:22 AM   #1

air filter?

Another question. In our 27RLS there is a wooden slatted air intake under the fridge. When the heater is running it's recirculating the air through here.

It doesn't look like there is any way to remove the wooden grating, so I'm assuming there is no air filter behind there?

Does anything accumulate anywhere in this recirculation process? Dust, dog hair etc?

Thank you!
2 x Golden Retrievers
dangerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 08:43 AM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
RV's usually don't have air filters. Reasoning for that is they are not supposed to be used for permanent living and the furnace is only used a few times a year.
I installed a filter because we use the unit more full time.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 08:50 AM   #3

air filter?

X2 on the furnace air filter question. I haven't seen anything to indicate there is a filter, but the air conditioner has some filtration. Does the furnace?

I assume it doesn't. So, what, if anything, has anyone installed?
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 09:28 AM   #4

I haven't taken the cover off an RV furnace for a long time, but I imagine there is enough room to fashion your own filter.

However, I would caution that since it's not designed to have a filter, I'm thinking the airflow would be impeded and could cause problems.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 12:31 PM   #5

Looking for a solution to this question since we have a Huasky that sheds like a new carpet! Will report back when I have found something of interest.
Lmbrjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 01:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmbrjk View Post
Looking for a solution to this question since we have a Huasky that sheds like a new carpet! Will report back when I have found something of interest.
There are no cold air returns like a house. The air going through the furnace and the AC is drawn from the outside. I'm not sure a filter would be of any benefit.
Old 04-20-2021, 01:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
There are no cold air returns like a house. The air going through the furnace and the AC is drawn from the outside. I'm not sure a filter would be of any benefit.

Both my AC and furnace pull air from inside the trailer, basically just recirculate air from within. I have never had an RV that pulled air into the RV from the outside air, unless it was from an open window or door. I have also never had an RV furnace that had an air filter, unlike RV AC units which have a filter that filters air going into the AC unit.

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 02:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 Traveler View Post
Both my AC and furnace pull air from inside the trailer, basically just recirculate air from within. I have never had an RV that pulled air into the RV from the outside air, unless it was from an open window or door. I have also never had an RV furnace that had an air filter, unlike RV AC units which have a filter that filters air going into the AC unit.
I just realized you're right with the AC. But the furnace? I'm not sure where it's pulling air from if not from outside.
Old 04-20-2021, 02:53 PM   #9
Site Team

Never seen a rv ac or furnace that pulled air from outside. They recirculate the inside air.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 04:54 PM   #10

Quote:
I just realized you're right with the AC. But the furnace? I'm not sure where it's pulling air from if not from outside.
Many RV furnaces do pull air from outside, but only for combustion of the propane burner. The heated air in the RV is reheated and recirculated.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 06:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerBill View Post
Many RV furnaces do pull air from outside, but only for combustion of the propane burner. The heated air in the RV is reheated and recirculated.
The older Suburban furnaces do exactly that. They have 2 small tubes that protrude to the outside. One is air intake for combustion and the other is exhaust. They are usually stacked right on top of one another.
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 08:21 AM   #12

My cold air return is under our refrigerator and there is no access to the unit from the outside so servicing will be difficult. After a little reading, my only concern with adding a filter is restricting the airflow enough to cause issues with the sail switch and the furnace lighting as a result. So - I'm adding a course fiber mesh filter that will hopefully stop the dog hair and other larger debris from entering the furnace but still allow good airflow to the unit. Attaching the filter to the inside of the louvre with some velcro.
Lmbrjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 03:16 PM   #13

Heater is on, but only getting lukewarm air coming out of the vents

I been living in my 5th wheel now for the past 4 years. Heat had never been an issue ( I say this cause some technicians say it just cause it’s cold out) It’s been cold many winters. My heater is kicking on but not putting out hot air of the vents. I took the ducking off near the heater and it definitely is on. Any suggestions? On what may be causing this issue
Chavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 12:15 PM   #14

With our 24bh the furnace is under the fridge and is 100% return air only. The return air is drawn in through the grill below the fridge. There is no filter.

We have a 85lb golden lab that sheds fur a decent amount. On our second trip of season two (early spring) our furnace stopped working in the middle of the night. After messing around (with no internet to use Google) I found that the air proving switch (sail switch) was gummed up with dog hair. The furnace would do it's air purge before attempting ignition then just shut off.

To access the furnace I had to remove the 4 screws on the side of the return grill to remove it. Shut off the gas and removed the 1 screw holding down the furnace (great job jayco). After that the furnace slid right out to the point where I could access the air proving switch and see that it was covered in dog hair. FYI you don't need to remove the outside exhaust flange/assembly, the furnace just press fits/slides right into it.

After that mess I went to HD and purchased some washable furnace media and secured it to the inside of the return air grill to catch the dog hair. The washable media is less restrictive then a regular paper filter and the sqft of the return air grill is more then large enough to not restrict air flow back to the furnace.
BC_Trev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 03:04 PM   #15

Quote:

Trailer furnaces pull combustion air from outside and exhaust it outside. Air to be heated is drawn in from inside the Trailer and returned to the inside after being heated.