Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-26-2024, 07:01 PM   #1

All hitched up with nowhere to go...

There's gonna be significant rain and thunderstorms in my camping area, tomorrow. So, I'm probably not going to leave until Tuesday morning. It's only about 40 minutes away from home.

I figured I'd get the trailer hitched and ready to roll instead of having to do it Tuesday morning or in the rain, tomorrow.

It looks to be a bit nose down. I think that'll be okay? I just measured. It's 21" from ground on front and 26" from ground on back corner.

I WILL NOT FORGET TO SWING THE STEPS UP INTO THE CAMPER BEFORE WE GO. I let them down for some last minute toss-ins.

If anyone is familiar with the Eaz-Lift ReCurve hitch, it is bulky, widthwise. I noticed my chains are kind of short. They can't hang under the hitch head..they have to sort of lay along the side of it. It's dark now, so I can't get a photo until tomorrow.

I'll have to get some extensions, eventually?

I did good hooking it up, but I have to learn to trust the hitch. Once I know I have it all put together correctly, it takes me a bit to really just go ahead and let the truck pull the camper along, without the wild idea that it's going to come loose. I know it can happen and it's always good to be cautious, I guess.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot 2024-05-26 at 8.34.28 PM.jpg  
2023 Ford F-150 SuperCrew 2.7L EcoBoost, 4x4, 3.73 axle, #1900 payload #10,100 tow capacity.
JKyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 07:06 PM   #2

I will leave my tongue jack down to level and add some support on quick overnites. And leave the wiring unplugged so one battery cannot affect the other.
Old and soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 07:07 PM   #3

Can you make a 90 degree turn like turning right at an intersection with the chains that tight?

2021 GMC half ton T/V
2022 Jayfeather 25RB
Anderson WDH
Markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 07:15 PM   #4

I would lift that nose up one set of holes and see how that rides. You look pretty nose down right now. It'll tow better if it is slightly nose down, as opposed to very nose down.

Make sure your chains have enough slack for your to make turns without binding, or you'll have some issues.

Is this your first time towing? Just remember to swing wide, check your mirrors when you are getting fuel, pulling into campground/site, etc. The trailer will track inside of your truck's radius, while the tail could swing out a little past your radius. Just need to be aware that it's back there.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 07:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markb5900 View Post
Can you make a 90 degree turn like turning right at an intersection with the chains that tight?
I did run out with the tape measure and took some measurements. Then, I edited my original post.

Well it's funny you ask. The only other time I have towed was taking the trailer home. The dealership hooked it up that day. I only. noticed the chains when I went to remove them and realized they were tight and a PIA to remove. Then, I remembered how I back into my side driveway. I had to really crank the truck to camper at some point. After parking and seeing the short chains, I was surprised I didn't have a bigger issue.

Okay, so is it as easy as going to get another pair of chains and adding them? I figure there are sizes of chains?
2023 Ford F-150 SuperCrew 2.7L EcoBoost, 4x4, 3.73 axle, #1900 payload #10,100 tow capacity.
Old 05-26-2024, 07:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKyle View Post
I did run out with the tape measure and took some measurements. Then, I edited my original post.

Well it's funny you ask. The only other time I have towed was taking the trailer home. The dealership hooked it up that day. I only. noticed the chains when I went to remove them and realized they were tight and a PIA to remove. Then, I remembered how I back into my side driveway. I had to really crank the truck to camper at some point. After parking and seeing the short chains, I was surprised I didn't have a bigger issue.

Okay, so is it as easy as going to get another pair of chains and adding them? I figure there are sizes of chains?
If you have a trailer shop around you, you can just buy extensions for what you have.
They should not be tight at all.

2021 GMC half ton T/V
2022 Jayfeather 25RB
Anderson WDH
Markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 07:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old and soft View Post
I will leave my tongue jack down to level and add some support on quick overnites. And leave the wiring unplugged so one battery cannot affect the other.
Thats a good idea, thank you!
Old 05-26-2024, 08:04 PM   #8

Go to a hardware and get two heavy duty shackles for each side, connected together and use them for your chain extensions. And Ford is the worse for their stock hitch loops for the chains. This is an example showing you what I am speaking about.

https://www.uscargocontrol.com/produ...-%20Galvanized
Old 05-26-2024, 08:14 PM   #9

I just measured. It's 21" from ground on front and 26" from ground on back corner.

Here’s a quick photo …the chains are touching the hitch on the backside (right side in photo)

They juuust make it to the chain attach points on the truck and removing them is hard because you have to pull them tight to just about get them off.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0467.jpg  
Old 05-26-2024, 08:21 PM   #10

The shackles will eliminate your issue of the chain length . And make sure you do not scrimp on the size so that you have a big enough area for your chain hook and big enough in rating just in case you need them. Your life and stress level to reach under and install and remove them will be removed completely.
Old 05-26-2024, 08:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayflight 23 View Post
Go to a hardware and get two heavy duty shackles for each side, connected together and use them for your chain extensions. And Ford is the worse for their stock hitch loops for the chains. This is an example showing you what I am speaking
So you’re saying the shackles can help with extending the overall chain just a bit? I remember watching someone in a video snap some tow chains on their non Ford truck and the first thing I noticed was: wow, those look easy! The Ford ones ARE LOUSY and I have little experience, but just enough to notice they really are crummy.
Old 05-26-2024, 08:29 PM   #12

Yes, just put one shackle on the main hitch loop and then a second one looped together and hang freely from the one attached to the main hitch. Its dark or I would take a picture of mine.

By the way do you have weight distribution bars? I can't tell.
Old 05-26-2024, 08:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Yes, just put one shackle on the main hitch loop and then a second one looped together and hang freely from the one attached to the main hitch. Its dark or I would take a picture of mine.

Yes. ReCurve. Theyre on top.
Old 05-26-2024, 08:59 PM   #14

Quote:

Itd be helpful and of course Id appreciate it, if maybe tomorrow you could show me a picture?
Old 05-27-2024, 06:04 AM   #15

This is the setup. The stock receiver chain hookup shape and angle to the hitches leave a lot to be desired. The larger the better and these extends the hookup for the chains. Some offsets on certain types of hitches do set back the ball further.
I will add that these can stay on the receiver all the time, when not towing and no create any problems. If you use some links of chains with shackles on each end, these too can stay in place as long as the links are not too long.
Attached Thumbnails
shackles hitch.jpg  
Old 05-27-2024, 08:31 AM   #16

T storms after five. You should be good to go though if 95 is your route the traffic in itself might give you ulcers.

Friends are camping in Hammo.. Ex friends. They stretch the rules and thats why I am not fond of that park. No dogs allowed. They bring a dog.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 08:51 AM   #17

Quote:
This is the setup. The stock receiver chain hookup shape and angle to the hitches leave a lot to be desired. The larger the better and these extends the hookup for the chains. Some offsets on certain types of hitches do set back the ball further.
I will add that these can stay on the receiver all the time, when not towing and no create any problems. If you use some links of chains with shackles on each end, these too can stay in place as long as the links are not too long.
Thank you so much for this photo. I appreciate it.
YES. My ReCurve hitch ball extends way out from the truck, causing the short chains problem.

I'm gong to pop out today to pick them up -Seeing it's not going to be any type of day to drag a trailer down I-95 or to set up or enjoy. I'll head out tomorrow morning.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot 2024-05-27 at 10.06.11 AM.jpg  
Old 05-27-2024, 08:55 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Gass View Post
T storms after five. You should be good to go though if 95 is your route the traffic in itself might give you ulcers.

Friends are camping in Hammo.. Ex friends. They stretch the rules and thats why I am not fond of that park. No dogs allowed. They bring a dog.
Hi Kim. Yeah. That stretch of I95 is and has always been a nightmare. I'm a CT shoreline lifer and know how to traverse and accept it. Although dragging a trailer this time makes it a liiiittle bit different. I've decided to hold for today and head out in the morning. No point in driving, setting up and 'camping' in the rain, when we really don't have to, seeing it is so close to home.

Bringing an animal to a park that explicitly says no animals is ___________. (fill in the blank)
Old 05-27-2024, 10:59 AM   #19

Hopefully after the storm will come a glorious sunset. I have taken pix in the past from West Beach with Faulkners in the background as a silhouette.

Gut feelings are to be obeyed for sure especially with a rig new to you.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 12:15 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Gass View Post
Hopefully after the storm will come a glorious sunset. I have taken pix in the past from West Beach with Faulkners in the background as a silhouette.

Gut feelings are to be obeyed for sure especially with a rig new to you.
Exactly.

Thanks Kim. Next few days look amazing!