Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-15-2018, 01:52 PM   #21

Did you check the underbelly itself for water? We have a Jayco Seismic Toy Hauler where at the factory the screwed the underbelly to our water tanks. The leaks did not show up until we had traveled down the road several times. Screws worked loose and lost our water. The underbelly held in the water and only by getting underneath and pushing up on the underbelly did I notice the water 'sloshing' around. Both 50 gallon tanks had screws from the underbelly placement - pretty poor workmanship! Jayco did replace the tanks but it was an ordeal. I hope this is not the case but worth a quick check. We didn't have any noticeable water on the ground beneath ours.
Zbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 02:11 PM   #22

Then how does one empty the plumbing lines? They use red and blue for hot and cold running water in RVs. If it was just an overflow, they use clear. The blue and red are pex lines.
Warrenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 03:06 PM   #23

Synolimit, Those white valves are full open 1/4 turn valves. I have them on my 2017 5er 27.5 RLTS and they will drain fairly quickly. also right behind MY docking station are more valves. These you can turn all day long and nothing will happen UNTIL you pull up on them and then they drain. Don't know if we are talking the same configuration .
Old 12-15-2018, 05:22 PM   #24

Please keep us in the loop as to what your solution is, that’s a mystery??
guitarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 05:59 PM   #25

He fixed it back on post #15 leaking low point drain.
Old 12-15-2018, 06:36 PM   #26

Wink Thinking ahead regarding your valves.

I have no use for the plastic "T" valves or plastic 90 degree valves that Jayco and others manufacturers like to use with factory installations; they are cheap and not particularly dependable. Have had several situations when a cold water drain valve would not totally close and would leak - not a lot, but significant over 24 hrs, especially when your water tank level is low, you want to conserve what you have, and you have no immediate access to replenish it.

If you find it is indeed a leaky "T" /90 degree plastic valve, invest in a plastic pex line kit with collars and a crimping tool and replace them with quality brass 90 degree valves. The brass valves give you piece of mind and you never have to worry about them again.

71skyhawk
71skyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 12:35 AM   #27

I'll try to give my quick version of those crappy 'T' valves.

Basically, watch them very closely, especially in cold weather. They only have a seating ring. They will seat and seal, however, in colder weather (think single digits and below) if enough cold gets up those lines the water will begin to freeze and unseat the valve. If your water is pressurized at the time, you will have a huge mess wherever that specific valve is located in your trailer.

Mine was in my basement and luckily I was right there when it happened and was able to immediately turn off the city water at the faucet. This was within probably 2 hours of arriving at my destination, heater on, heat trace on and around those valves and basement temp of 47 (I've installed 17 temp sensors throughout various places on my trailer for monitoring). I've completely modified my trailer with heat trace cable, tank heaters, etc for very cold weather (my previous trailer handled -42F and negative single digits for over a week with the same mods without issue). My valve popped at -13F outside temp. It's a very crappy design, especially with no way to lock the valve in the close position. It took me several hours to finally find what had happened.

To keep from ruining my vacation, I went to the hardware store and bought picture hanging cable and safety wired both of them so they couldn't move at all. When I returned home from that trip, I replaced all those with quarter turn ball valves and have never had another issue.

I know they can and do work for most people. However, I will say in low extremes be extremely cautious of them and check them from time to time or replace them. I've talked to others who have done the same mod because theirs worked loose just during normal driving on the highway.

I guess that's not so short of a tale...but I feel it could be of value to others out there with those things.

Glad you found the problem in yours before it made a mess. Mine mostly drained down the drain, but still had plenty of wetness in the basement until the heat gun came out to dry it all.

Enjoy the trailer!

Tim
Flyingaggie is offline   Reply With Quote