Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-03-2015, 01:39 PM   #1

aluminum vs fiberglass, framed vs frameless

Hey Folks,

While trying to configure a new 38FDDS which we plan to order by the EOY, I began contemplating Aluminum exterior vs the fiberglass. I saw the fiberglass version with the frameless windows and it really looked like a nice clean design. It would be great if someone who has owned both types could share the pros and cons of fiberglass vs aluminum.

I was also told by a dealer that the fiberglass exterior has frameless windows vs the framed windows with the aluminum exterior. Could someone please explain the difference in the window types? Is one better than the other? Is one more susceptible to leaks vs the other? Is it fair to say that the frameless windows require less maintenance with no re-caulking required?

In addition to the exterior options , I definitely want the elite package and the insulation package. I'm considering the upgraded 15k A/C as well. I'm told the extra insulation helps keep cold air in during the hot summer months

Any feedback would be appreciated.
jloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 01:58 PM   #2

All I know on this is, aluminum sided campers are easier to fix than the smooth sided campers. Just because you can replace aluminum panels if dented. As opposed to the smooth sided campers that require extensive time and expense to repair. Other than that, I think it's just preference.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 01:59 PM   #3
Site Team

Siding poll and discussion;

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f1...tml#post236428

Thread on the subject with links to other threads;

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f1...ded-18912.html
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 06:00 PM   #4

As far as I know, neither window require caulking. Traditional RV windows, like ones on aluminum sided trailers, are in place with butyl tape. They should last a long time without issue. My old trailer was 17 years old. Only window leak was the front window where it gets pelted with snow and rain when driving. All the other windows were fine after 17 years with no maintenance.

Pick whichever siding you like. If properly taken care of, they both last a long time. If you take care of your roof, you will likely never need to worry about your siding either.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 08:02 AM   #5

My only issue with frameless windows is that they tilt and don't allow as much air flow as a sliding window. We don't have frameless, but we do have one tilt our window. It's nice for rainy days, but only OK on any other day you want windows open.

As far as siding, half down of one, six of another. Either way you have to keep up with maintenance to prevent leaks.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 08:40 AM   #6

Thanks for all the feedback. It seems that both types of siding do well if maintained properly.

My unit will be on a seasonal lot on Cape Cod and won't be moving at all once delivered. So I'm not concerned with road rash or dents if I choose the aluminum. I may go aluminum and save the $1800 they want for the fiberglass option.

The front side faces east and will get full sun. It gets HOT! This is my major concern regarding siding type.

Good feedback on the windows too. The unit I looked at while on vacation in Orlando had the fiberglass with frameless windows. I haven't yet looked at the slide windows that come with the aluminum sided units. I'll have to check those out before ordering my unit.
jloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 06:36 PM   #7

My only thoughts are with frameless windows. Ours always leaked air and during cold weather moister would form on the windows real bad. The windows looked good but did not serve us well.
ninjahbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 08:15 PM   #8

I think the sides are a personal preference. We went with the WH instead of Jay Flight on looks alone. My take on the windows is this--frameless don't get as much airflow and some folks have had issues with them. Had one issue when we got it with it popping the track. You can read other threads about the windows. No problems since delivery. Even with the problem, I'd get the frameless windows again.
redenbacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 08:25 PM   #9

All windows that Jayco installs now that I've seen are Dry Fit, as in NO butyl. Frameless or framed. They can and will leak over time with the crappy foam seal. Stay tuned for the removal and reseal of 9 windows on our rig in another thread. We're redoing ours with what is proven and what works.

On the sides? Matter of preference. Both have their pros and cons. I actually prefer the aluminum for simplicity of repair, but we own fiberglass now.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 09:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
All windows that Jayco installs now that I've seen are Dry Fit, as in NO butyl. Frameless or framed. They can and will leak over time with the crappy foam seal. Stay tuned for the removal and reseal of 9 windows on our rig in another thread. We're redoing ours with what is proven and what works.

On the sides? Matter of preference. Both have their pros and cons. I actually prefer the aluminum for simplicity of repair, but we own fiberglass now.
I was really disappointed when I noticed the foam gaskets. That is a fail just out of warranty design.
Old 11-05-2015, 08:20 AM   #11

We have the frameless windows in our Whitehawk and don't like them. Not enough air flow. We are thinking of trading next spring for a Jay Flight with conventional windows.
Rick56 is offline   Reply With Quote