Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-21-2021, 09:20 PM   #1

always keep a fire extinguisher on you

always keep a fire extinguisher in back of your truck a long time ago i was pulling my camper the transmission line broke caught my truck on fire i pull over got my wife and dog out of the truck on a busy highway then i took my fire extinguisher open the hood put the fire out i save my truck and camper i seen people lost everything when there truck caught on fire be safe out there
mikelouf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 09:35 PM   #2

Sounds like you were pretty well prepared. I’ve got two in my TT, one in the front, one in the rear, plus one in the truck.

Also make sure your emergency exits actually work. We owned our TT for a year before I discovered the emergency exit window in the bedroom would not open. A mounting screw was put in wrong and stopped the window from opening...that could have been a disaster had we needed to use it. Plus, going out the windows will be a big jump to the hard ground below...

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 11:23 AM   #3

We had a fire also a few years ago, a leaky exhaust started the under bed spare tire on fire. Had one extinguisher then and it saved us. We now travel with three. Replaced the dinky one or two pound white that was in the trailer with a larger version and have two more in the truck. Total of two white (new types) and one red. The new white body Kidde are rated for oil fires in addition to its previous kitchen classes.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 12:14 PM   #4

The little RV fire extinguisher in our doorway has discharge duration of 14 seconds. If you catch something quick, it might stop a fire. I doubt you could use it to help someone escape. Or even stop a fire.

Key, they need to be in a handy spot and easily accessible. You have to know how to use them. Buried in a locked cargo hold or stashed under a dinette seat is not a good spot.

I have been considering purchasing some of these Element Fire Extinguisher sticks. You can get them in a 50 & 100 second duration. I like the idea of being able to have them placed in an easy to access location, and be out of the way. I do believe I would have to purchase some old fashion road flares, to teach the family how to use the Element Fire Extinguisher, so they had some practice.

https://www.amazon.com/Augusta-Motor...06552214&psc=1

What has kept me from buy any yet, is the lack of real use reviews. Everything I have read and seen, discusses its safety and how compact they are. Nothing about how it worked on a real situation.

Remember to replace your Fire alarm battery yearly.

We have an escape plan. Now the kids are older, we now have a fire/emergency discussion every spring. When they were younger, we would do a fire drill out of the bunk ends (HTT), and did it a couple times a year, when they were small and made a game out of it. The end bunk windows are zippered. Rule, when the end screen and canvas zippers are zipped up, they MUST be located top and center. Middle of the night anyone can find it. E-exit window I think is a joke, but we all know how to open it, deal with the screen, and push bar. It is directly across from the door, so I cannot see every using the window, but you never know. We also have a general meeting location, that works for any CG. I do get the roll of the eyes from the kids now. But safety first!

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 12:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
I have been considering purchasing some of these Element Fire Extinguisher sticks. You can get them in a 50 & 100 second duration. I like the idea of being able to have them placed in an easy to access location, and be out of the way. I do believe I would have to purchase some old fashion road flares, to teach the family how to use the Element Fire Extinguisher, so they had some practice.

https://www.amazon.com/Augusta-Motor...06552214&psc=1

What has kept me from buy any yet, is the lack of real use reviews. Everything I have read and seen, discusses its safety and how compact they are. Nothing about how it worked on a real situation.

I found a couple of videos, looks promising.

It's pretty expensive for a one shot deal. I have these as a backup to my regular fire extinguishers.

https://www.amazon.com/First-Alert-E...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 12:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelouf2 View Post
always keep a fire extinguisher in back of your truck a long time ago i was pulling my camper the transmission line broke caught my truck on fire i pull over got my wife and dog out of the truck on a busy highway then i took my fire extinguisher open the hood put the fire out i save my truck and camper i seen people lost everything when there truck caught on fire be safe out there
Great tip,

I also would highly encourage everyone to have one next to the bed at night. I have a 2-A,10BC (I think that is what it is, it is larger than the one that came with the RV) that I keep next to the bed. My thought is if there is a fire at night I will be able to more quickly fight that fire, and if needed and I am losing that fight, and if the emergency exit gives me any issues, I will simply use the empty extinguisher to break out the window and rake the frame edges clean for another possible exit plan.

One other tip, the last RV I had was known to have a lot of refrigerator fires, in fact I was sent a kit from Norcold for that reason. I had found at that time a Halon automatic extinguisher that I mounted high into the refrigerator exterior closet. They don't make these anymore (not the halon ones) but I did remove it from my last RV prior to selling it, so I think I will take some time and install it into the RV I have now as it isn't doing any good sitting on the shelf in my shop.

~CA
Old 01-27-2021, 01:05 PM   #7

One other quick tip related to this thread. This Christmas I purchased two "Fire Suppression Blankets" one for the house and one for the RV. My thought is to use this first for a stovetop fire (if one was to occur) prior to using the dry chemical extinguisher.

Just fyi for those that may not know, when you use a dry chemical extinguisher, that powder can ruin whatever you sprayed it on (especially electrical switches), which of course is still better than having your RV burn down.

~CA
Old 01-27-2021, 01:56 PM   #8

Plus the gaskets can stick, windows need to be opened and gaskets coated/sprayed w/ silicone?
thenne1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 03:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
Great tip,

I also would highly encourage everyone to have one next to the bed at night.

~CA
Good for self defense too. Spray them in the face with the powder, or hit them over the head with the canister.

And Alton Brown thinks that fire extinguishers are unitaskers. You have to think outside the box.
harryjr is offline   Reply With Quote