Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-27-2017, 08:18 PM   #1

Anchoring the awning?

What are some ways in which you anchor your outside awning in case of high winds? I was considering coffee cans with cement and and eye bolt, then just using straps to secure.
Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 08:20 PM   #2

No anchor. We roll ours up.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 08:28 PM   #3

Smurf

You should check with BigJohnD. He had some awning hold down brackets for sale a while back. There’s a guy on the FR forum that makes them. All the people over there love them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 08:35 PM   #4

Dog chain spiral and ratchet straps.

2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 08:51 PM   #5

Our seasonal site is directly across from a farm. Our site is usually breezy, but can get down right windy at times. Walk 100 feet to the lake and there is no wind.

A few years ago we purchased a
Camco Awning Anchor kit to use on our Greyhawk motorhome with an electric awning. They work great. The kit comes with 7" springs that allow the electric awning to move a little in windy conditions, but keeps the arms straight while it moves.

We had a freak storm roll through with 80 mph straight line winds. We were only expecting a thunderstorm. We left the awning out. The awning survived the 20 minute assault, but the springs were stretched over 2 feet long and unusable. Without the springs, I think the wind would have pulled the anchors out of the ground and destroyed the awning.

Now with our Bungalow, which has a manual awning, we still use the same anchor kit, I bought a new set of springs. We don't leave the awning out anymore when there are winds over 25 mph forecasted. This past summer, a strong storm that wasn't in the forecast when we went to bed, rolled through in the middle of the night with really strong winds that spawn 2 tornadoes not too far north of us. The anchor kit saved us again.

This is the kit we bought: https://www.amazon.com/Camco-42593-A...dp/B001Y8NF90/

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 10:36 PM   #6

I stake mine awning down. I bought some clothesline at the hardware store and some metal tent stakes. I also have a Coleman (E-Z Up) Canopy that I usually stake down as well.

Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions.

KCSA75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 06:02 AM   #7

We use the anchor kit below. Haven't had a problem yet and we leave ours out all of the time. I knows it has been in at least 25mph+ winds.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-42563-A...ing+anchor+kit
shrpshtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 06:30 AM   #8

Last winter we stayed in a breezy campground in Melbourne, FL (east coast). Some, including me, used long bungee cords to secure awnings to ground stakes, which allowed some stretch. Some did use weights, instead of stakes. Many campers used nylon straps right to ground stakes with no give.

In any case, every time a storm came through, there would be one or two awnings ripped loose from the top of trailers. I always tried to release the straps and bring the awning in if there was a forecast for winds over 25mph. But some campers didn't worry about it. I guess they figured that's why they had insurance.

I did see one trailer that had its side all beat up and punctured from an awning that came loose. I also saw a manual awning that had its support arms pulled loose from the side wall brackets. One loose arm was driven back through the wall. Not a pretty sight.
retiredtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 06:36 AM   #9

In my opinion, if the winds are high enough for the concern, it should be retracted. That being said, I've seen people do it and I've done it myself in the past. I learned the hard way why NOT to. Awnings are pretty strong but, they're not THAT strong. It puts strain on the awning material and the arms. Nothing that you'd probably notice immediately, but will eventually. Take the time and roll them up. Too expensive not to.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 07:42 AM   #10

As do I. Also roll it up at night. Don't want to have to get up in the middle of the night to roll it up should high winds approach. Also try to remember to roll it up when we're leaving the site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
No anchor. We roll ours up.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 08:25 AM   #11

[QUOTE=michael.g;588563] few years ago we purchased a

We had a freak storm roll through with 80 mph straight line winds. We were only expecting a thunderstorm. We left the awning out. The awning survived the 20 minute assault, but the springs were stretched over 2 feet long and unusable. Without the springs, I think the wind would have pulled the anchors out of the ground and destroyed the awning.

Now with our Bungalow, which has a manual awning, we still use the same anchor kit, I bought a new set of springs. We don't leave the awning out anymore when there are winds over 25 mph forecasted. .

This is the kit we bought: https://www.amazon.com/Camco-42593-A...dp/B001Y8NF90/

Not saying I don't believe you, well I guess I don't. I have personally witnessed 60-70mph flip a pop-up and throw a medium size grill across a picnic table onto the neighbors site and completely rip a fixed fiberglass awning off a porch. There isn't an awning restraint or support system made that will withstand 80mph winds.

The auto style awnings are pretty worthless in my opinion. The older manual style was much more sturdy and capable of handling moderate wind if the supports were lowered to the ground and properly staked. The auto awnings s/b retracted when ever you leave your site or winds of any significance are predicted. When you return and see your neighbors awning wrapped up over the top of their TT you will understand why.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 08:43 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurf View Post
What are some ways in which you anchor your outside awning in case of high winds? I was considering coffee cans with cement and and eye bolt, then just using straps to secure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
You should check with BigJohnD. He had some awning hold down brackets for sale a while back. There’s a guy on the FR forum that makes them. All the people over there love them.
Smurf,

Personally, I retract the awning anytime there's high winds, strong storms, or we're away from the camp site for any length of time.

Though I do carry with me awning tie down kits as others have shown.

The problem with only using a tie down system like what others have mentioned is if the wind blows down the awning, it will loosen the tie down straps and potentially cause them to detach from the awning.

That's why, IMO, if you tie down an auto awning, you should also use hold down posts/brackets like Tom mentioned above.

Check out these posts for various types of awning hold down posts that other JOF members have made:
> Rock's Awning Supports
> BigJohnD's Awning Pole Tie Down Brackets

Hope this is of some help.
Good luck.
Old 11-28-2017, 10:11 AM   #13

Awning anchors

We roll ours up to even if we are going away for a couple hours.Have been in a couple wind storms were literally any awning left out was trashed!No matter how well anchored ouch!
Attached Thumbnails
Sunset 2-17.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 11:35 AM   #14

If your not present I would bring your awning in. I've seen several that tore loose from their stakes and flew up on the roof taking out the AC. We always tell campers to never leave your awning out at all the campgrounds I've worked at.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 04:48 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBlackDak View Post
Dog chain spiral and ratchet straps.

Ditto
Old 11-28-2017, 07:15 PM   #16

If bad weather is moving in, or if I'm going to be away from the campsite for a while, I'll bring the awing in. But then, I'm a little gun shy, having lost an awing, more to rainfall buildup than wind issues.

Charlie & Lizzie the Mini Dachshunds
2008 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 30.5 RLS
2015 F350 Lariet Crew Cab Long Bed 6.7 Diesel B&W Companion Hitch
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not.
Witt74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 09:41 PM   #17

All the new awnings are only good as sun shades. The new electric ones are so much easier to retract quickly, why not just hit the button and roll it in if it may be even questionable. The old style was a pain to take down but now I can have our awning safely retracted in less than 5 minutes. If you have a new style electric why take the chance. Whenever your going to be gone even for a short time and certainly at night, why waste time fiddling with stuff that gets in the way of quickly retracting and stowing the roller every time.
CharlesOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 06:41 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesOK View Post
All the new awnings are only good as sun shades. The new electric ones are so much easier to retract quickly, why not just hit the button and roll it in if it may be even questionable. The old style was a pain to take down but now I can have our awning safely retracted in less than 5 minutes. If you have a new style electric why take the chance. Whenever your going to be gone even for a short time and certainly at night, why waste time fiddling with stuff that gets in the way of quickly retracting and stowing the roller every time.
For me the biggest reason not to retract the awning at the 1st breeze that blows is that I setup our campsite for outdoor cooking, lounging, etc. With the grill, TV, pots/pans, lounging chairs (4), table, ice maker, gas fire pit, trash can, shoes, etc., it's not a 5 minute job to roll in the awning without everything getting soaked. Usually BAD storms don't sneak up on you with a little attention being paid to the forecast and for those I'll stow everything away. My awning (as most do I believe) will lower one side automatically when it gets too much rain on top of it. When it finishes running off all of the collected water, it returns to it's normal position and the anchors keep it in place.

shrp
Old 11-30-2017, 09:07 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrpshtr View Post
For me the biggest reason not to retract the awning at the 1st breeze that blows is that I setup our campsite for outdoor cooking, lounging, etc. With the grill, TV, pots/pans, lounging chairs (4), table, ice maker, gas fire pit, trash can, shoes, etc., it's not a 5 minute job to roll in the awning without everything getting soaked. Usually BAD storms don't sneak up on you with a little attention being paid to the forecast and for those I'll stow everything away. My awning (as most do I believe) will lower one side automatically when it gets too much rain on top of it. When it finishes running off all of the collected water, it returns to it's normal position and the anchors keep it in place.

shrp
Rain is not really the issue with awnings. Agree all newer awnings have an auto dip feature. The simple fact is these things are not designed to handle wind and even a moderate wind can cause them to flap.

Leaving an auto awning rolled out when you are not at your site or over nite will eventually catch up with you. Your awning and your choice.

As for staging an outdoor cooking, lounging, tv etc., we purchased an octagon shaped weather proof enclosure that can be set up to cover the picnic table and protect cooking and electronic equipment even in windy or rainy conditions. Plenty of room to lounge and easy to pull out the chairs to sit under the stars.

Awning, if they charged extra for them, is an option that I would not pay for.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 09:21 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Rain is not really the issue with awnings. Agree all newer awnings have an auto dip feature. The simple fact is these things are not designed to handle wind and even a moderate wind can cause them to flap.

Leaving an auto awning rolled out when you are not at your site or over nite will eventually catch up with you. Your awning and your choice.

As for staging an outdoor cooking, lounging, tv etc., we purchased an octagon shaped weather proof enclosure that can be set up to cover the picnic table and protect cooking and electronic equipment even in windy or rainy conditions. Plenty of room to lounge and easy to pull out the chairs to sit under the stars.

Awning, if they charged extra for them, is an option that I would not pay for.
Roger that. We use a pop-up style tent also. I had one of the ocatagonal tents with bug mesh from Cabelas that I ended up giving away years ago. It was just too big and cumbersome for my taste. BTW, I will leave the awning up overnight (depending on forecast) but if we are going to be gone any real length of time, I'll pull it in with any measureable chance of windy conditions above 20mph.

shrp