Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-20-2018, 08:26 PM   #1

Anderson Weight Distribution Hitch

Looking for opinions on this hitch. Looking for something light and eat to on and off.

Currently have a Husky Centerline and I am tired of throwing 1200 lb bars around.

Tow vehicle is 2017 GMC 2500 with a Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS with approx 6000 lbs weight.
Mbranscum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 08:32 PM   #2
Site Team

I've been using an Anderson with my 22BHM (5500#) behind my Ram 2500 and my F150. Incredible hitch and perfect for that size of a trailer. Simple, quick to hook up, no grease, light weight, and extremely easy to adjust. It can be installed by one person in less than an hour using common hand tools and a torque wrench. I've made one call to their customer service with a question and it was answered immediately.

I've got close to 10k miles on the hitch so far and zero issues. I don't see myself going back to a more traditional style hitch anytime soon. It is that good.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 09:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
I've been using an Anderson with my 22BHM (5500#) behind my Ram 2500 and my F150. Incredible hitch and perfect for that size of a trailer. Simple, quick to hook up, no grease, light weight, and extremely easy to adjust. It can be installed by one person in less than an hour using common hand tools and a torque wrench. I've made one call to their customer service with a question and it was answered immediately.

I've got close to 10k miles on the hitch so far and zero issues. I don't see myself going back to a more traditional style hitch anytime soon. It is that good.
X2. As a newbie buying a first TT last year, I knew nothing about hitches. Dealer sold me on the Andersen. A year later, I love it. So easy, DW can hitch/unhitch if necessary. It’s quiet and we’ve seen zero sway with our SLX 212 (~4,500 lbs). The only tricky part is making sure you square up with the TT when you unhitch — makes rehitching much easier than trying to do it at an angle.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 10:52 PM   #4

I agree with what others have already posted. We've got over 23K miles over 4 seasons on ours and it's been great. The DW can hitch/unhitch by herself, and she found out just how nice the setup tows as she started driving some on our longer trips this last season (). We are looking to upgrade to a bit bigger unit in the next year or two - likely in the 6-7K GVWR range - and I plan to stick with the Andersen for that as well.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 10:54 PM   #5

The general rule with this type of hitch is stay at 500lbs or below on tung weight and they work great. Above this tung weight, a spring bar type is more effective.
Old 12-21-2018, 03:21 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_Trailer_Newbe View Post
The general rule with this type of hitch is stay at 500lbs or below on tung weight and they work great. Above this tung weight, a spring bar type is more effective.
I'm at 800# tongue weight. No issues.

There was a lot of discussion early on with the Anderson where people felt that it couldn't return enough weight forward to the front axle with a heavier tongue weight trailer. What I found is that the installation instructions give a distance range back from the hitch for mounting the brackets on the trailer frame. When your mounting distance is closer to the front of that range, you can bottom out the adjustment bolt in the bracket before you can get enough tension on the chains to provide the distribution you are looking for. A quick call to Anderson and they suggested trimming a couple of links off of the chains. I ended up taking 3 full links off of my chains and it works perfectly. Plenty of adjustment to get the weight forward that I need for either truck I am towing with.
Old 12-21-2018, 11:10 AM   #7

I personally don’t have experience with it. I was basing my comment on reviews I had read on this hitch.
Old 12-21-2018, 11:31 AM   #8

Quote:
I'm at 800# tongue weight. No issues.

There was a lot of discussion early on with the Anderson where people felt that it couldn't return enough weight forward to the front axle with a heavier tongue weight trailer. What I found is that the installation instructions give a distance range back from the hitch for mounting the brackets on the trailer frame. When your mounting distance is closer to the front of that range, you can bottom out the adjustment bolt in the bracket before you can get enough tension on the chains to provide the distribution you are looking for. A quick call to Anderson and they suggested trimming a couple of links off of the chains. I ended up taking 3 full links off of my chains and it works perfectly. Plenty of adjustment to get the weight forward that I need for either truck I am towing with.
My dealer just did the same when in for a service — took off one link each side. Now the bushings are compressed far less (3 threads showing instead of 8) and all is tight.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 11:59 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
My dealer just did the same when in for a service — took off one link each side. Now the bushings are compressed far less (3 threads showing instead of 8) and all is tight.

Just a correction on my previous post. I removed 2 links per side not 3. I didn't realize the typo until you quoted my post.
Old 12-21-2018, 05:52 PM   #10

We have about 10K on our 195RB, maybe 3,500 loaded pulling with our Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Much easier than our old bar and chain type!!!! Lighter and have never felt ANY sway. Even in serious wind situations with truck passing us, etc.

Paired with an electric hitch jack it is effortless and much safer to on/off.

I had questions and Andersen rep was very patient and answered every question. They also replaced a broken Andersen leveler with zero argument. I give their company a 10 in customer service.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 09:05 PM   #11

I just posted about my trip home with the Andersen. I used it on my last TT as well. Lightweight and easy, no doubt. Check the post out under the lightweight TT thread.

2018 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 6.4L
TonyCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 08:48 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyCO View Post
I just posted about my trip home with the Andersen. I used it on my last TT as well. Lightweight and easy, no doubt. Check the post out under the lightweight TT thread.
Glad you got it home with no issues. What did the overall hitch height end up being?
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Old 12-22-2018, 09:29 AM   #13

Quote:
Glad you got it home with no issues. What did the overall hitch height end up being?

Just like you guys said. The 23” measurement was a little off. It was about 28” so I just set the shank at the highest setting, but with no water or other weight up front I thought it looked a little nose high. I’m going to start over and really dial it in now. I have the light weight Timbrens without the spacer puck. This thing must be tongue heavy (2-30# bottles, 2 batteries plus electric jack) compared to my last TT which was pretty close on the length and weight. The rubber was kissing the axle which it only did on my last TT when we were full of water. I have to drag it to the scales and figure everything out. Thanks again for the info. This site is awesome and collectively is way more knowledgeable than most of the people working at the dealerships.

Old 12-22-2018, 12:33 PM   #14

Quote:
Quote:
I personally don’t have experience with it. I was basing my comment on reviews I had read on this hitch.
Well, I think your weight estimate is off. I have read most and written a few myself. I had tons of miles on my Andersen all over the country. I would only be thoughtful about it above 900lbs TW; that would only be on a short wheelbase like an SUV, not a truck.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 12:39 PM   #15

Quote:
Just like you guys said. The 23” measurement was a little off. It was about 28” so I just set the shank at the highest setting, but with no water or other weight up front I thought it looked a little nose high. I’m going to start over and really dial it in now. I have the light weight Timbrens without the spacer puck. This thing must be tongue heavy (2-30# bottles, 2 batteries plus electric jack) compared to my last TT which was pretty close on the length and weight. The rubber was kissing the axle which it only did on my last TT when we were full of water. I have to drag it to the scales and figure everything out. Thanks again for the info. This site is awesome and collectively is way more knowledgeable than most of the people working at the dealerships.
If needed, Andersen does have longer shanks avaialble. But like you said, I would get it loaded for camping before I made that decision.

Salt Lake and back at this time of year can be tricky. I will assume it is the motorsports dealer or something like that? They have some enticing prices compared to the front range dealers.
Old 12-22-2018, 02:59 PM   #16

Hey Mad, small world (Ecoboost forum). It was CW in Kaysville. The trailer had exactly what I wanted and it was sitting there since September. There where a few on the front range, one in South Fork, and one up in WY, but not exactly optioned like I wanted. I kept going back and forth with all of them since the end of summer. I was going to wait them all out into February, but I think the end of year forced them to deal now. The reactions from the other dealers made me feel great about the price. 29 hours out and back and less than $400 for fuel was definitely worth it to me. No precipitation, just the crazy WY wind. I think I’m real happy with it. I love the Rocky Mountain and Baja editions, Goodyear tires, and the exterior lighting. At this price point I don’t think you can do better.

Old 12-22-2018, 03:06 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
Well, I think your weight estimate is off. I have read most and written a few myself. I had tons of miles on my Andersen all over the country. I would only be thoughtful about it above 900lbs TW; that would only be on a short wheelbase like an SUV, not a truck.
I checked the Andersen site and this is a copy paste

14,000 lbs GTWR (2-5/16" ball) — 10,000 lbs GTWR (2" ball)
1,400 lbs tongue weight

I have had great response from Andersen customer service phone help. If you have doubts I would check with them directly.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 04:36 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
I checked the Andersen site and this is a copy paste

14,000 lbs GTWR (2-5/16" ball) — 10,000 lbs GTWR (2" ball)

1,400 lbs tongue weight

I have had great response from Andersen customer service phone help. If you have doubts I would check with them directly.
The quote was not about the hitch rating. The individual I quoted was talking about the theory, that the Andersen has a finite amount of weight transfer capability. The theory is at a weight much less than the rating on the hitch.
Old 12-22-2018, 04:38 PM   #19

Quote:
Hey Mad, small world (Ecoboost forum). It was CW in Kaysville. The trailer had exactly what I wanted and it was sitting there since September. There where a few on the front range, one in South Fork, and one up in WY, but not exactly optioned like I wanted. I kept going back and forth with all of them since the end of summer. I was going to wait them all out into February, but I think the end of year forced them to deal now. The reactions from the other dealers made me feel great about the price. 29 hours out and back and less than $400 for fuel was definitely worth it to me. No precipitation, just the crazy WY wind. I think I’m real happy with it. I love the Rocky Mountain and Baja editions, Goodyear tires, and the exterior lighting. At this price point I don’t think you can do better.
Awesome, I had to go to Kansas to find what we wanted. Congrats.
Old 12-23-2018, 09:07 PM   #20

Thanks for all of the replies. We are definitely considering one of these.
Mbranscum is offline   Reply With Quote