Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-10-2022, 09:00 AM   #1

Annoying gray streaks

We have a stick and tin travel trailer, what is the best way to remove the gray streaks that form between the panels?
Royal Tar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 09:45 AM   #2

I use LA's Totally Awesome diluted. You can find it at the dollar stores. No need to spend a lot to get a lot.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 02:05 PM   #3

Thanks, I’ll give it a try.
Royal Tar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 08:06 PM   #4

Be somewhat careful with Awsome cleaner, we use it where I work and even diluted 50/50 with water it will remove paint. I would say to dilute it 25/75 almost and not leave it on to long. I use simple green on my camper and it works great on black streaks.
rccs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 10:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccs View Post
Be somewhat careful with Awsome cleaner, we use it where I work and even diluted 50/50 with water it will remove paint. I would say to dilute it 25/75 almost and not leave it on to long. I use simple green on my camper and it works great on black streaks.
I know what you mean. I like to use Dawn for just about everything, but sometimes I can see that there is still a little streaking left behind.

I will still try to find ways to remove the streaks, but buying some mystery Chinese recycled nuclear waste product from a Dollar Store isn't something I want to try. No wonder we keep reading about all the front cap paint peeling problems.

I think I need to get the streaks off, then properly wax the rig. That's the ticket, I just need to budget the time.
Old 03-11-2022, 07:22 AM   #6

Just fyi...I've used LA's for years with several campers with no side effects. It's a cleaner, not an acid. The dollar stores just HAPPEN to carry it. Home Depot, Lowes and WalMart also sell it. Made in the USA.
Old 03-11-2022, 08:06 AM   #7

Sounds crazy, but try some Scrubbing Bubbles Foaming Bathroom Cleaner.
Used it almost exclusively on our previous class c, especially on the front cap where it was the best bug guts remover I have ever used.
It is harmless to paint/glass/rubber/ ect. Just think of all the different materials in your bathroom or kitchen, and this stuff is safe for all.
Just spray it on, let it sit and work for a few minutes, brush if needed, and rinse.
I use it on our vehicles to remove dead bugs...and on out class c it removed dead bugs, black streaks, ect.
Grumpaw374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 08:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnati Kid View Post
I know what you mean. I like to use Dawn for just about everything, but sometimes I can see that there is still a little streaking left behind.

I will still try to find ways to remove the streaks, but buying some mystery Chinese recycled nuclear waste product from a Dollar Store isn't something I want to try. No wonder we keep reading about all the front cap paint peeling problems.

I think I need to get the streaks off, then properly wax the rig. That's the ticket, I just need to budget the time.
Cleaners have nothing to do with the peeling of caps.
Old 05-22-2022, 02:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
Just fyi...I've used LA's for years with several campers with no side effects. It's a cleaner, not an acid. The dollar stores just HAPPEN to carry it. Home Depot, Lowes and WalMart also sell it. Made in the USA.
Well I bought some totally awesome, going to give it a try this week!
Old 05-22-2022, 02:40 PM   #10

Totally awesome cleaner is a good degreaser for spilled oil on the concrete slab also.
2014 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost
skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 02:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccs View Post
Do you dilute the Simple Green? If so, what is the ratio?
gunafulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 06:28 PM   #12
Site Team

I've found that keeping the roof clean and the sides waxed makes a big difference in how quickly they show up.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 08:49 PM   #13

how do you wax the sides? i've been contemplating it. the rv wash products that include wax don't seem to work any better than taking your car through the car wash. you see it go on but it rinses right off.
uhohitsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 06:03 AM   #14

Been waxing mine with Turtle Wax Ceramic Wet Wax. Wash rig, spritz some on while still wet, spread it around with towel, done! Lasts a long time, too.

2015 Starcraft AR-ONE Maxx 21FB
2023 Chevrolet Suburban LT 1500
mrmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 06:19 PM   #15

I used to wash the trailer with boat soap, and then wax with Meguires Quik Wax (one step on and no polishing required). Then I found that simply using the wax cleans all the dirt off and waxes it at the same time. Of course, I do it every year.

My annual cleaning of a 19' trailer (previously and continuously maintained), takes me about 45 minutes, with little effort and NO elbow grease.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 08:28 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhohitsdad View Post
how do you wax the sides? i've been contemplating it. the rv wash products that include wax don't seem to work any better than taking your car through the car wash. you see it go on but it rinses right off.
It's no different than waxing a white car. Wax small sections at a time in the shade, using your favorite wax or cleaner wax, whatever is easiest for you to use, that takes the streaks and oxidation off. Like Norty, I've used a lot of different ones, and am now trying a Meguire's marine wax that someone here said worked well. Always looking for one that lasts the longest, and doesn't make my arms fall off.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 09:40 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
It's no different than waxing a white car. Wax small sections at a time in the shade, using your favorite wax or cleaner wax, whatever is easiest for you to use, that takes the streaks and oxidation off. Like Norty, I've used a lot of different ones, and am now trying a Meguire's marine wax that someone here said worked well. Always looking for one that lasts the longest, and doesn't make my arms fall off.
this is how i would normally wax something but my trailer doesn't have gel coat sides and is 38' long. i'm not trying to be lazy but i would worry about all the wax i couldn't get off or missed and the time spent to do it. looking for better way to work smarter not harder.
uhohitsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 04:48 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
I use LA's Totally Awesome diluted. You can find it at the dollar stores. No need to spend a lot to get a lot.
Another vote for Awesome from Dollar General. The stuff is amazing, too!

Sometimes I crack myself up....

Seriously. We use it for several such jobs around the house. Spray it on and let it set a moment (but not dry out), and then rinse off. You may not even have to scrub the marks.

--> insert thumbs up emoti here
wordsmyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 07:44 AM   #19

I have been having issues finding my favorite black streak product for the past few years.

A few years back after a good washing, I tried a product by McGuire's "Paint Protect" (clearance rack special) it is thin as water. Way hard to put on as thin as directed. Next day the vehicle looks horrid, it is covered in dust stuck to the excess product. Give it a quick hose down/wash, and it looks fabulous for the next year. Since using this product I have had Zero black streaks, the water beads up nicely, and it almost appears to self clean.

I understand there is a new version of this product.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote